Shtickless - Unless Being Dead Is A Shtick Topic

Posted by robusk on 1/12/2011 11:41:00 AM (view original):
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 11:33:00 AM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 1/12/2011 11:31:00 AM (view original):
Anyone care to explain the season long overachieving of my $ team?
The NL as a whole is having a down season. You pay enough attention to beat the teams you should beat and not have any disadvantageous match-ups. You have a better understanding of the ratings than other people... There's a decent list.

Like I said in the TC, your team really is pretty ****** by your standards. But if they play good defense and you don't allow many runs, you'll hopefully be able to lean on your few good players to knock in enough runs to win some games...
I agree with most of that.  I don't think it is just the NL though.  Your team is solid but would not have performed this well in peak years in my opinion.  We have hit a storm of a lot of below average drafts (just an issue of chance), poor owners getting the limited talent and underdeveloping them and a lot of "superpowers" bottoming out at the same time...  plus a number of crappy owners having a bunch of talent at the ML level right now and not knowing how to use it.  That being said, a couple of really good owners have built up a nice pool of talented prospects and we will be on the uptick in the future.

I think it is easier to gimmick your way to wins right now because of all those things....
I think my team doesn't have the same skills you covet, but they do have very specialized talents. I think more of their strength is going thirteen deep with legitimate contributors and being able to move them around as need be and substitute late in close games. I can play match-ups when I actually try, and not many people actually try at this game.
1/12/2011 11:45 AM

I went to tandems just to get Sam Swindell more work. It feels dirty, but I'm not doing it for exploitative matchups, but moreso to get more work for my low-stamina pitchers and setting up a hierarchy of who relieves who.

1/12/2011 11:46 AM

Montgomery has a ****-ton of power and very good defense.

1/12/2011 11:47 AM
Posted by moy23 on 1/12/2011 11:38:00 AM (view original):
how'd you like my trade with VD? dumping off a 4.4 mil 3 yrs remaining contract during the playoffs.
Heh.
1/12/2011 11:48 AM
Leads in the moy fielding categories (lack of errors, fielding percentage) and is at the top for the cbriese categories, too (plus plays and lack of minus plays).
1/12/2011 11:48 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 1/12/2011 11:48:00 AM (view original):
how'd you like my trade with VD? dumping off a 4.4 mil 3 yrs remaining contract during the playoffs.
Heh.
I wondered if he realized that when he accepted the deal. There are a lot of bad contracts that are passed along late in the season because people don't pay attention beyond the proration.
1/12/2011 11:49 AM
My career records versus tisi is pretty awesome...  but  think I have almost always had the more talented team.  Definitely not the case here.
1/12/2011 11:51 AM
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 11:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 1/12/2011 11:41:00 AM (view original):
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 11:33:00 AM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 1/12/2011 11:31:00 AM (view original):
Anyone care to explain the season long overachieving of my $ team?
The NL as a whole is having a down season. You pay enough attention to beat the teams you should beat and not have any disadvantageous match-ups. You have a better understanding of the ratings than other people... There's a decent list.

Like I said in the TC, your team really is pretty ****** by your standards. But if they play good defense and you don't allow many runs, you'll hopefully be able to lean on your few good players to knock in enough runs to win some games...
I agree with most of that.  I don't think it is just the NL though.  Your team is solid but would not have performed this well in peak years in my opinion.  We have hit a storm of a lot of below average drafts (just an issue of chance), poor owners getting the limited talent and underdeveloping them and a lot of "superpowers" bottoming out at the same time...  plus a number of crappy owners having a bunch of talent at the ML level right now and not knowing how to use it.  That being said, a couple of really good owners have built up a nice pool of talented prospects and we will be on the uptick in the future.

I think it is easier to gimmick your way to wins right now because of all those things....
I think my team doesn't have the same skills you covet, but they do have very specialized talents. I think more of their strength is going thirteen deep with legitimate contributors and being able to move them around as need be and substitute late in close games. I can play match-ups when I actually try, and not many people actually try at this game.
Yeah...  that is really useful in the playoffs without a doubt.
1/12/2011 11:52 AM
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 11:49:00 AM (view original):
Heh.
I wondered if he realized that when he accepted the deal. There are a lot of bad contracts that are passed along late in the season because people don't pay attention beyond the proration.
he did. he wanted prospects to take the salary but I told him I have no prospects and I had already offered Ford to 12 other teams (which I did do for their worst player with the best name). Shooter Fisher, Dick Strong were some good ones. he accepted later that day. Only two coaches rejected the offer - the rest probably never even saw it by the time vd accepeted.
1/12/2011 11:53 AM
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 11:46:00 AM (view original):

I went to tandems just to get Sam Swindell more work. It feels dirty, but I'm not doing it for exploitative matchups, but moreso to get more work for my low-stamina pitchers and setting up a hierarchy of who relieves who.

I tried that strategy for a couple of seasons in different worlds.  I have found a lot more success in getting guys innings just by having the right stamina and durability mixes on my staff and keeping the staff as small as possible. Even in the simplest setup, you can get him plenty of work as long as you don't care about him picking up wins.
1/12/2011 11:54 AM
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 11:47:00 AM (view original):

Montgomery has a ****-ton of power and very good defense.

Yeah, they are great defensively.  We have argued about it before, but I don't value power (and definitely contact) as much as you.
1/12/2011 11:55 AM
Posted by robusk on 1/12/2011 11:54:00 AM (view original):
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 11:46:00 AM (view original):

I tried that strategy for a couple of seasons in different worlds.  I have found a lot more success in getting guys innings just by having the right stamina and durability mixes on my staff and keeping the staff as small as possible. Even in the simplest setup, you can get him plenty of work as long as you don't care about him picking up wins.
I could care less about who wins the game. I just want to get him as much work as possible.
1/12/2011 11:58 AM
Power and contact definitely mean something. Our agreement more or less was that as long as you're strong in something, you have some value. I'd take either type of player, but a movement of listening to your sage advice has let some of these guys come to me cheaper.
1/12/2011 12:01 PM
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 11:49:00 AM (view original):
Heh.
That was more of an overall "heh" at moy apparently being particularly proud of the deal - especially since I remember him talking about how pleased he was with the signing of Ford at the beginning of the year.
1/12/2011 12:03 PM
I don't even know who that player is, I just am wary of any big contract being moved like that, if all parties know what's going on.
1/12/2011 12:06 PM
â—‚ Prev 1...1330|1331|1332|1333|1334...1822 Next â–¸
Shtickless - Unless Being Dead Is A Shtick Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.