2015 baseball HOF ballot. Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 2/8/2014 1:20:00 PM (view original):
He walks and 72.5% of the time, he's standing on a bag when the inning ends.   Passing the buck to the next guy doesn't exactly work out for him. 

The objective is to score runs, right?  Or is it to have a high OBP?
So what's he supposed to do? The alternative is to not get on base. Even you aren't dumb enough to go down this road, are you?
2/8/2014 1:28 PM
Holy Christ, this is ridiculous in so many ways.  Here's another point - for most of Edgar's prime, Jay Buhner hit behind him in the order.  40+ HR a season for three straight seasons (before that was commonplace) Jay Buhner.  Getting on base in front of Jay Buhner was a good thing.  Whether he did it by single, double or walk is irrelevant.  Single and walk produce the same outcome with no one on base, and Edgar wasn't scoring from second on a single.  It's not like Buhner hit a lot of singles, anyway.  Your argument that he was hurting the team by walking falls apart not only statistically, but also when taken in context.  If you have a prolific HR hitter behind you, the best thing you can do is either hit a homerun yourself, or get on base so you can score when he hits one.  Edgar did both.
2/8/2014 1:57 PM
Down by a run, game tying run on base.  Edgar Martinez at bat.

Do you want him to walk and hope whoever is behind him will get the job done?  Or do you want hopeful HOFer Edgar Martinez swinging the ******* bat?

E-ebb is right.  This is ridiculous in so many ways.

FYI . . . Jay Buhner struck out on 23.7% of his plate appearances across his career.  With the game on the line, would you rather have the bat in EM's hands or JB's hands?
2/8/2014 6:25 PM
He walks and 72.5% of the time, he's standing on a bag when the inning ends.   Passing the buck to the next guy doesn't exactly work out for him. 

I don't really give a flying **** who hit behind Martinez for the majority of his career or how many homers they hit.   You know what they didn't do 72.5% of the time?  Score Martinez. 

If anyone wants to find a player of Martinez's caliber who couldn't score unless he hit a homer, please feel free to tell me who they are.
2/8/2014 6:44 PM
And, for the record, I don't believe I've ever said Martinez hurt the team by walking.   I said he didn't help them as much as I think he could have by using the bat for something other than a prop.  
2/8/2014 6:48 PM
2/8/2014 6:49 PM
Say this out loud:

"Man, if Martinez can draw a walk, we'll get Jay Buhner to the plate.  Take some pitches, Edgar!!!!!"

If you completed that sentence without punching yourself in the nuts, please do so now.
2/8/2014 6:54 PM
Hall of
2/8/2014 6:55 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/8/2014 6:54:00 PM (view original):
Say this out loud:

"Man, if Martinez can draw a walk, we'll get Jay Buhner to the plate.  Take some pitches, Edgar!!!!!"

If you completed that sentence without punching yourself in the nuts, please do so now.
You're just bitter cuz we stole Buhner from your Skanks for Ken "Digger" Phelps!
2/8/2014 8:47 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/8/2014 6:44:00 PM (view original):

I don't really give a flying **** who hit behind Martinez for the majority of his career or how many homers they hit.   You know what they didn't do 72.5% of the time?  Score Martinez. 

If anyone wants to find a player of Martinez's caliber who couldn't score unless he hit a homer, please feel free to tell me who they are.
You never answered the question, what is the alternative for Martinez. His options are get on base or not get on base. Should he try not to get on base?
2/8/2014 9:28 PM
Maybe getting a hit would be good since he's, you know, such a great hitter.
2/8/2014 9:36 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/8/2014 9:36:00 PM (view original):
Maybe getting a hit would be good since he's, you know, such a great hitter.
Does OBP include hits?
2/8/2014 9:37 PM
Do walks score runners from second?
2/8/2014 9:40 PM
That's not mikes argument. He's saying Martinez didn't score often enough once he was on base.
2/8/2014 9:47 PM
I'm not arguing Mike's argument.

My argument is that with the game on the line, I'd rather have my "HOF caliber" hitter actually trying to hit the ball rather than patiently working out a walk and hoping the lesser quality guy behind him gets the job done.
2/8/2014 9:58 PM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15|16...56 Next ▸
2015 baseball HOF ballot. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.