LOL at this idiot Topic

By the way... We live in this thing called a 'FREE' society... Not just society. Adlai Stevenson defines a free society best as 'a society in which individuals find it "safe to be unpopular".'
7/12/2015 3:03 PM
Posted by moy23 on 7/12/2015 3:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/12/2015 2:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 7/12/2015 1:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/12/2015 9:28:00 AM (view original):

If you believe the "traditional" family unit, father/mother/child, is the best family unit, gay marriage is certainly hurting it.

If Bob and Ed get married in backwoods GA, adopt and send their kid to public school, I can pretty much guarantee that kid is going to get grief.   Is that "not hurting anybody"?

If someone believes that the traditional family unit is the best way to go then they by all means they should have a traditional family, but they don't need to force their beliefs on others.

And if the concern is kids making fun of other kids at school I suggest parents don't send fat, smelly, or ugly kids to school either.
As some noted earlier, we live in this thing called a "society".  

If I believe a traditional family is the only way to go, a non-traditional family is damaging to this society.    Now, whether or not I'm right is irrelevant.  I believe you and your non-traditional family is hurting my society.

And, right now, you cannot prove that it isn't.     Thus you cannot say, without question, that gay marriage "doesn't hurt anyone."
Gay Marriage doesn't hurt anyone.... Period. I can say it. In fact where is the evidence that it does hurt anyone? Wouldn't the burden be on YOU to PROVE its harmful based on how this 'society' is structured? I just sat through 2 weeks of jury duty and it was the plaintiffs job to PROVE harm was done, not the other way around.

Fair enough.

A brother marrying his 27 y/o sterile sister doesn't hurt anyone.   Can you prove that it does?

7/12/2015 3:19 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/12/2015 3:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 7/12/2015 3:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/12/2015 2:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 7/12/2015 1:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/12/2015 9:28:00 AM (view original):

If you believe the "traditional" family unit, father/mother/child, is the best family unit, gay marriage is certainly hurting it.

If Bob and Ed get married in backwoods GA, adopt and send their kid to public school, I can pretty much guarantee that kid is going to get grief.   Is that "not hurting anybody"?

If someone believes that the traditional family unit is the best way to go then they by all means they should have a traditional family, but they don't need to force their beliefs on others.

And if the concern is kids making fun of other kids at school I suggest parents don't send fat, smelly, or ugly kids to school either.
As some noted earlier, we live in this thing called a "society".  

If I believe a traditional family is the only way to go, a non-traditional family is damaging to this society.    Now, whether or not I'm right is irrelevant.  I believe you and your non-traditional family is hurting my society.

And, right now, you cannot prove that it isn't.     Thus you cannot say, without question, that gay marriage "doesn't hurt anyone."
Gay Marriage doesn't hurt anyone.... Period. I can say it. In fact where is the evidence that it does hurt anyone? Wouldn't the burden be on YOU to PROVE its harmful based on how this 'society' is structured? I just sat through 2 weeks of jury duty and it was the plaintiffs job to PROVE harm was done, not the other way around.

Fair enough.

A brother marrying his 27 y/o sterile sister doesn't hurt anyone.   Can you prove that it does?

No I cannot. While I personally don't agree with incest, other people may. Who am I or the government or anyone to tell people who they should and should not love. That's freedom of choice.
7/12/2015 3:28 PM

Safe to say incestual marriage could be next on the docket after polygamy?

7/12/2015 3:30 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/12/2015 3:30:00 PM (view original):

Safe to say incestual marriage could be next on the docket after polygamy?

Yes. I think so.
7/12/2015 3:30 PM
I'll just get to the point.

Society has rules.   I don't know if gay marriage harms society.   Nor do I know that it doesn't.   No one does.   But, right now, our society believes polygamy and incestual marriage does.  Truth is, we just find i distasteful.   As we once did gay marriage.
7/12/2015 3:32 PM
To take it a step further, we won't know for decades.   Truth is, society, as we know it, has been crumbling for years with each new individual freedom.    A more "structured" society is better than one that allows whatever under the belief of "not hurting anyone."

I'm not complaining.   I'm quite sure I was allowed to do far more many things that my parents could not.   I'm thankful for that.   But there's a breaking point and we won't know that we've reached it until it's too late.
7/12/2015 3:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/12/2015 3:32:00 PM (view original):
I'll just get to the point.

Society has rules.   I don't know if gay marriage harms society.   Nor do I know that it doesn't.   No one does.   But, right now, our society believes polygamy and incestual marriage does.  Truth is, we just find i distasteful.   As we once did gay marriage.
Yep.
7/12/2015 3:44 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/12/2015 3:41:00 PM (view original):
To take it a step further, we won't know for decades.   Truth is, society, as we know it, has been crumbling for years with each new individual freedom.    A more "structured" society is better than one that allows whatever under the belief of "not hurting anyone."

I'm not complaining.   I'm quite sure I was allowed to do far more many things that my parents could not.   I'm thankful for that.   But there's a breaking point and we won't know that we've reached it until it's too late.
That's the unfortunate part...

These individual freedoms are a gift but that doesn't guarantee people will make the best choices in life. The fall of society will be the internet. Too much information, coming in too fast, from less than credible sources and none of us, especially children fully understand how to process it. Case in point is Dylann Roof and Tyler Clementi. Seriously go read the comments under ANY article on the web from any new site or blog. I think it's evident how intolerant and disrespectful to others we as a society have become.
7/12/2015 4:02 PM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Nah, they're granted to everyone. 
7/12/2015 4:26 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 7/12/2015 4:18:00 PM (view original):
Yah, but these "freedoms" only seem to extend to the political left.
Explain
7/12/2015 4:31 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
People can fly Confederate flags at their homes.
People don't have to fly rainbow flags at their homes. 

The better example would be cake purchases and the like. 
7/12/2015 4:56 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 7/12/2015 4:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/12/2015 4:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 7/12/2015 4:18:00 PM (view original):
Yah, but these "freedoms" only seem to extend to the political left.
Explain
No Freedom of expression for backwards Southern hicks
No Freedom of expression for traditionalists/fundamentalists who find the rainbow flag (or other LGBT symbolism) offensive

Southern hicks are free to express whatever they want. Same with people offended by the gay flag.
7/12/2015 4:57 PM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15|16...20 Next ▸
LOL at this idiot Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.