Critical news debate Topic

i personally do not mind the changes even though i have 3 of my teams at 0 AS but i do wish they would of lifted the ability to only transfer 4 mil up or down per season. shoot even if it was a one time thing. it will now take 4 seasons to have a decent AS. 
5/8/2015 7:46 AM
Two things(one we need to know, the 2nd I hope they can make happen):

1.   What will determine projections for domestic/international prospects?   If it's domestic/international scouting, very little changes.   The only difference is we won't be able to see development patterns for other teams' prospects.   If you spend 18m on HS scouting and take a HS player, you'll know where he should end up.    If it's ADV, it's a pretty big change.   However, you're starting at the same level as 90% of your world(in all likelihood).   Nothing to complain about.

2.   This is what I'd like to see.    Do away with the Budget Analysis page.   There is no reason that I should know what other owners have in any category beyond current payroll. 
5/8/2015 7:50 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 7:50:00 AM (view original):

1.   What will determine projections for domestic/international prospects?   If it's domestic/international scouting, very little changes.   The only difference is we won't be able to see development patterns for other teams' prospects.   If you spend 18m on HS scouting and take a HS player, you'll know where he should end up.    If it's ADV, it's a pretty big change.   However, you're starting at the same level as 90% of your world(in all likelihood).   Nothing to complain about.

2.   This is what I'd like to see.    Do away with the Budget Analysis page.   There is no reason that I should know what other owners have in any category beyond current payroll. 
#2 is even more important now with these changes.  A potential trading partner's scouting budget is going to be really important in evaluating trades-- but that should be information I have no right to know.
5/8/2015 8:01 AM
I've decided to use this to full advantage in attempting to fill Billy Beane.  We had 20 owners last season with 0 ADV, so new owners have a big advantage, a fact I'll exploit over on the classified forum.  I'm sure there will be a lot of interest in grabbing new teams (and new budgets) for a few seasons while this all shakes down and people adjust.
5/8/2015 8:18 AM (edited)
Posted by cbriese on 5/8/2015 7:46:00 AM (view original):
Two outcomes I would expect to see:
  1. There will be fewer vet-for-prospect trades pre-season, and more of those toward the trading deadline when there is at least a hint of progression of other teams' players.
  2. It may be more difficult to get new owners to take teams laden with prospects - you won't be able to see projections nor history of progression among those prospects. That may prove to be a big downside.
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying here, but I believe this is untrue.

If a new owner took a team laden with prospects he'd be able to see their development as admin said, you could only see the historical ratings of your own players.
5/8/2015 8:23 AM
They do need to randomize the amateur draft and reform the International Free Agent system. But very silly if they are going to say we can't see current ratings only projected ratings. What they are really doing is trying to gloss over the fact that anyone who has paid attention knows how predictable the player development cycle is. Preventing us from seeing past development on other franchises proves they are just trying to hide its predictiability. They probably can't, for technical reasons, randomize player development, though if they did AS is still worthless. I doubt I will change my $0 AS budget because it still won't effect HS scouting, International scouting, or training effectiveness. The AS budget is a big red herring scare tactic.

If they want real change they should make the amateur draft a real crap shoot like in real life. A few more first round busts and fourth round surprises and the sim is not only more interesting, it removes the incentive to play for higher picks and more franchises will play to win now. Heck, give scouting more dimensions and complexity than setting three numbers once every season, force franchises to strategize their scouting resources by region and level and by position like the other Dynasty sims.

Anyway, Mike T will shout down anything he didn't say so I will bid you all a good day and wish you good luck.

5/8/2015 8:25 AM
Anytime someone uses "randomize", "make it a crap shoot" and "first round busts" as often as you did needs to be shouted down.   Turn the game into a roll of the dice and we might as well play Candyland.

That said, I suggested the regional scouting about 8 years ago.   I still think it's a great idea but, at this point, I think it's a dead idea.   Nonetheless, if they're looking, here you go:

7/25/2007 4:19 PM MikeT23
This is just a "wish" item. I stumbled upon the idea in a thread griping about coach hiring when someone sarcastically mentioned "scout hiring". Anyway, I'm not sure if it's practical to program but I think it would be pretty nice and add a handful of options/strategy to scouting(which is pretty much hands off except for budgeting). Thanks in advance for taking the time to read the following.

The concept:
Each 1m you allot "buys" you one scout. This applies to Int'l, HS and college. Scouts are of equal ability(for the most part).

Each country will be a seperate entity for international scouts. The US will be split up into regions(15 is what I'm thinking. Probably by state). The regions will not be equal nor will they produce the same quality/quantity of players. The same applies to countries.

The owner assigns a scout to a region(for HS or college) or a country(for internationals). Domestically, a scout in a region will find the top 5 players and 25(or whatever) other players of varying ability. If two scouts are placed in the same region, the numbers will double. Obviously college scouts will only report on college players. Internationally, each scout will find up to 8 players(or whatever # is chosen). These will be random and there will be no guarantee that you see the best 8. You will simply see the first 8 he finds. Doubling up scouting will double the number of prospect found.

Regions/Countries:
At the beginning of the season, before scouts are assigned, the owners will be sent a report giving the number of colleges in each region, the number of high school seniors playing ball in each region and the number of international prospects in each country. Again, the only constant from season to season would be the number of colleges playing baseball from each region. I'd recommend varying the number of colleges per region during set-up as opposed to making each region the same "size" to add to strategy.

During the arbitration process, the owner will assign scouts based upon these reports/personal strategy. If an owner fails to assign scouts, they will default to previous season settings and/or one scout to the most populated region on down until scouting budget runs out.

Overall scouting
For each 2m spent domestically, the owner will see the top overall player regardless of region. This will not "add" a player to scouted regions but simply ensures he sees the top player(s).
5/8/2015 8:32 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 7:02:00 AM (view original):

Everyone complaining about "not enough warning" or "only being able to adjust 4m at a time" needs to look at their league's budget.    You're probably starting at the same point as everyone else in your world.   I checked my worlds and we are.   I checked journeyfans world, because he was the first to complain, and he is too. 

NO ONE IS AT A DISADVANTAGE.

Shockingly missing the forest for the trees
5/8/2015 8:39 AM
Posted by dedelman on 5/8/2015 8:01:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 7:50:00 AM (view original):

#2 is even more important now with these changes.  A potential trading partner's scouting budget is going to be really important in evaluating trades-- but that should be information I have no right to know.
We're making assumptions on what ADV will affect but yes.  

An owner with 20 ADV makes me an offer.   His offer includes the previous season's #6 pick.   Looks pretty good to me with my 0 ADV.   Then I see that he had 0/0 in domestic scouting.   So what he got was the best of a very limited pool.   I shouldn't know any of this.   To me, I should see the offer that includes the #6 overall from last season and have to determine what he's worth using my projections.

Had a similar offer this season in MG.   25m IFA that didn't look like much with my 0 ADV or his currents.   So I did my homework.   When he signed, how much IFA scouting the owner had, who else was signed, how much and when and how much IFA scouting those owners had.    I felt it was a "Better sign someone now" rather than a 25m IFA signing.   If I didn't know how much every owner in the IFA market had budgeted, the outcome might have been different.
5/8/2015 8:39 AM
Posted by alleyviper on 5/8/2015 8:39:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 7:02:00 AM (view original):

Everyone complaining about "not enough warning" or "only being able to adjust 4m at a time" needs to look at their league's budget.    You're probably starting at the same point as everyone else in your world.   I checked my worlds and we are.   I checked journeyfans world, because he was the first to complain, and he is too. 

NO ONE IS AT A DISADVANTAGE.

Shockingly missing the forest for the trees
Yeah, because, when everyone starts at the same place, you're somehow at a disadvantage.

We've ******* and moaned about 4m increments for years based on what we needed at that very moment.    Take over a new team "It takes me three seasons to get to 20m training.  This must be fixed!!!"   Find out how medical actually works "I've been running 0 medical and I've learned I need more.  This must be fixed!!!"   Now, finally, A/S may become important "I'm at 0 because everyone else was.  This must be fixed!!!!"

They've already said "We are not changing this."   Maybe time to drop it?
5/8/2015 8:43 AM
Posted by cledussnow on 5/8/2015 8:23:00 AM (view original):
  1. There will be fewer vet-for-prospect trades pre-season, and more of those toward the trading deadline when there is at least a hint of progression of other teams' players.
  2. It may be more difficult to get new owners to take teams laden with prospects - you won't be able to see projections nor history of progression among those prospects. That may prove to be a big downside.
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying here, but I believe this is untrue.

If a new owner took a team laden with prospects he'd be able to see their development as admin said, you could only see the historical ratings of your own players.
Once he takes over the team, sure. How does a new owner determine which available team to take over?
5/8/2015 8:45 AM
But, hell, I'm in a giving mood.

As a 0 ADVer, I know what I'll do if it's actually important.   

1.  Increase to 4m.
2.  Decrease by 4m whatever other budgets are directly affected by the new ADV(domestic/IFA).
3.  Decrease prospect to 6m.
4.  Use any "new" money on FA in an effort to win games(which is sort of the goal of the game anyway).
5.  Do this until I get ADV where I'm comfortable.
6.  Begin increasing the budgets catergories I reduced to get them where I need them.

Worst case scenario, I'm stuck at the same "disadvantage" as my leaguemates for 2-3 seasons.

End of the world.
5/8/2015 8:47 AM
I like making advance scouting relavant. I don't like it'll take me 2 to 3 seasons to react to the change. That's ~$50 per team for something they are changing and frankly punishing me for playing the game as it was designed.
5/8/2015 8:48 AM
Posted by cbriese on 5/8/2015 8:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by cledussnow on 5/8/2015 8:23:00 AM (view original):

Once he takes over the team, sure. How does a new owner determine which available team to take over?
Can you see projected ratings before you take a team?  I think the answer is "no".    All you see is currents.    Nothing changes in this regard except the history of progression.
5/8/2015 8:48 AM
They did implement a regional/geographic feature to recruit scouting in Hoops years ago, so it wouldn't seem impossible to implement a similar feature in HBD.
5/8/2015 8:49 AM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16|17...54 Next ▸
Critical news debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.