Quote post by all3 on 1/4/2015 10:56:00 AM:
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/4/2015 6:24:00 AM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 1/4/2015 1:48:00 AM (view original):
Are the Cardinals the first team in history to have an injury? You were so sure of yourself that going from Drew Stanton to Ryan Lindley shouldn't have mattered in the outcome.
Quote post by MikeT23 on 12/29/2014 9:43:00 AM:
Without a QB, you're not winning.    Now, if you believe in Drew Stanton(who may or may not play), Ryan Lindley or maybe even Logan Thomas, good for you.   But I'd question your football knowledge.
Ohio State didn't seem to have many offensive problems with it's 3rd-string QB playing. I guess Carolina is just a relatively much tougher opponent than Alabama.

Yep, it was you.
1/13/2015 9:48 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 1/13/2015 9:45:00 AM (view original):
He has a short, but compelling, resume coupled with all the physical tools scouts drool over.  And it's not necessarily about what Meyer missed - he's picking the guy who he thinks will win him the most games at OSU, not who will make the best pro.  Those aren't necessarily the same thing.  I think you can find where people were saying Jones was the best pro prospect on the roster even before he got playing time.  It does seem sort of ridiculous, but you definitely are seeing the idea that he's a 3rd round type out there at this point.  I'll be interested to see if that holds up once we get away from the moment and he starts to come under more scrutiny, but he doesn't get the benefit of waiting to see that before he makes the decision.

IF he would be a 3rd round pick, since he can't transfer and play right away and has no assurances of getting the job at OSU, going pro might be his best option.
Knee-jerk reaction.  

Mariota can't play a lick today.
Jones should consider going pro today. 

But I do agree that if he's a 3rd round pick, he should go.   If he's a 6th round pick, he should go.   He has no interest in school.   
1/13/2015 9:50 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/13/2015 9:48:00 AM (view original):
Quote post by all3 on 1/4/2015 10:56:00 AM:
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/4/2015 6:24:00 AM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 1/4/2015 1:48:00 AM (view original):
Are the Cardinals the first team in history to have an injury? You were so sure of yourself that going from Drew Stanton to Ryan Lindley shouldn't have mattered in the outcome.
Quote post by MikeT23 on 12/29/2014 9:43:00 AM:
Without a QB, you're not winning.    Now, if you believe in Drew Stanton(who may or may not play), Ryan Lindley or maybe even Logan Thomas, good for you.   But I'd question your football knowledge.
Ohio State didn't seem to have many offensive problems with it's 3rd-string QB playing. I guess Carolina is just a relatively much tougher opponent than Alabama.

Yep, it was you.
You're such a freakin' idiot, so wanting to argue anything and everything, that you're proving MY point for me. If a 3rd string college QB can be that good, then why shouldn't a 3rd string PROFESSIONAL QB be expected to do a good job? On all levels, talented guys sit behind even more talented guys. Try to twist it any way you like, since we all know you are never wrong, and always have the need to get the last word, but I'm not wasting any more time on you.
1/13/2015 10:37 AM
Because the pool of players with the skill set to be successful NFL quarterbacks is way smaller than the pool of players who can be successful college quarterbacks, and the salary cap means you can't go out and just buy 3 guys from that much smaller pool.
1/13/2015 10:54 AM
If you're a 3rd string QB at an elite college program, it's most likely because you were a dominant high school player and the school believes you have the ability to play at an elite level. 

If you're a 3rd string QB in the NFL, it's because you don't want to do something else with your life yet, and because the team doesn't want to give millions of dollars to someone on the practice squad.

They're two entirely different situations.
1/13/2015 10:54 AM
I mean, seriously, how many NFL teams are able to win even with their backup, let alone a 3rd string?  At an elite college program, your backup is probably expected to one day be the starter, and the 3rd string guy was still probably an elite HS recruit.
1/13/2015 10:59 AM
Thanks for explaining that to the idiot.   I'm sure he still doesn't understand.
1/13/2015 11:00 AM
New England went 11-5 with a guy that never even started a game in college.  It is much harder to win games in the pros period (for the better teams) as the teams are much more balanced. 

Teams in college win all the time with their back-ups, the back-ups just generally don't play as well as Jones did.  That is the difference here.  I mean Landry Jones came in for Sam Bradford and had a winning record and won a bowl game for Oklahoma.  Heck even at a school like Cincinnati where Munchie Legaux gets hurt in the second game last year, his back-up comes in and leads Cincinnati to an 8-3 record as a starter. 

1/13/2015 11:09 AM
Posted by moranis on 1/13/2015 11:09:00 AM (view original):
New England went 11-5 with a guy that never even started a game in college.  It is much harder to win games in the pros period (for the better teams) as the teams are much more balanced. 

Teams in college win all the time with their back-ups, the back-ups just generally don't play as well as Jones did.  That is the difference here.  I mean Landry Jones came in for Sam Bradford and had a winning record and won a bowl game for Oklahoma.  Heck even at a school like Cincinnati where Munchie Legaux gets hurt in the second game last year, his back-up comes in and leads Cincinnati to an 8-3 record as a starter. 

Yup. And he went to USC because he was a great quarterback in high school, and likely would have been a great QB at USC. That's the point. 

Didn't Landry Jones start for 4 years in Oklahoma?
1/13/2015 11:26 AM (edited)
FWIW, Meyer said Jones was "selfish, lazy and immature" 6 months ago but bought into the program after that.

Sounds like Jamarcus Russell.
1/13/2015 11:46 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/13/2015 11:46:00 AM (view original):
FWIW, Meyer said Jones was "selfish, lazy and immature" 6 months ago but bought into the program after that.

Or maybe the impending birth of his child woke him up and matured him.  Things like that sometimes make people grow up and take better responsibility and care.
1/13/2015 11:50 AM
How high of a draft pick do you spend in hopes that's what woke him up?

Sounds like money in the pocket could easily send that type of personality right back to "selfish, lazy and immature".
1/13/2015 11:52 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/13/2015 11:46:00 AM (view original):

I'm certainly not saying it would be a great pick to take him in the 2nd or 3rd round, but the more I think about it, the more likely I think it is it would happen.

His resume is limited, but very good, and all against top flight competition and in big games.  His physical tools are obvious.  I can see teams with QB needs who can't get in on Mariota/Winston convincing themselves "if this kid had gone back to school and played a full year, he'd be a top 5 pick next year" and pulling the trigger.  I'm sure not nearly everyone will see it that way, but it only takes one.
1/13/2015 11:58 AM

Looking at last season's draft, there were no 3rd round QB.   Logan Thomas and Tom Savage were picked in the 4th.   I know nothing about Savage but Thomas was a big, raw kid looked at as a project.     There were half a dozen or so picked in the 6th.   Tahj Boyd and Zach Mettenberger were the most notable.  They had successful college careers but might have been missing something.   Mettenberger fits Jones' personality. 

I think 3rd is a reach.

1/13/2015 12:09 PM
Logan Thomas was so much of a project, that he couldn't start for the Cardinals.
1/13/2015 12:12 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.