Great Baseball Sayings and Curious Facts Topic

I've heard these over the years but unable to confirm  both are about the 1977 Yanks

The Opening day lineup was the first time 10 Allstars started a game  Munson,chambliss,randolph,dent,nettles,white rivers,reggie,Wynn, Hunter.

Dell Alston homered in Milwaukee seconds before the blackout in New York.

And the fact I do know In the Yankee yearbook they have Reggie Jacksons' number as 20 instead of 44
12/30/2015 6:56 PM
One of my favorite tidbits from the Bill James Historical Abstract:

Hughie Jennings got a letter from a small town in Michigan, a letter from a pitcher who claimed he could strike out Ty Cobb anytime on three pitches. The guy said it would only cost $1.80 -- his train fare from Detroit -- for Jennings to find out. Hughie figured well, you never know, and sent the dollar-eighty. The pitcher showed up -- great, big, gangly kid, 6-foot-4 and all joints. They let him warm up and called out Cobb. 

Cobb hit the first pitch against the right field wall. His second pitch went over the right field wall. The third pitch went over the center field wall. Cobb was thinking they ought to keep this guy around to help him get in a groove. 

"Well," said Jennings. "What have you got to say?" 

The pitcher stared hard at the batter in the batter's box. "You know," he said, "I don't believe that's Ty Cobb in there." 
12/31/2015 2:40 AM

An interviewer started to ask Yogi Berra about his two hits from the previous night when Berra corrected him and said he had three hits.

The interviewer apologized. "I checked the paper and the boxscore said you had two hits. The third must have been a typographical error."

"Hell, no," Berra replied. "It was clean single to left."

1/1/2016 1:53 AM
Probably one we have all heard a version of, but still great...from a late 1950's interview;

Interviewer:  With all the great players playing ball right now, how well do you think you would do against today's pitchers?

Ty Cobb:  Well, I figure against todays pitchers I'd probably hit  .290.

Interviewer:  .290?  That's amazing because you batted .400...a whole bunch of times.  Now tell us, we'd all like to know why do you think you'd only hit .290?

Cobb:  Well, I'm 72  !@#$ing years old!
1/1/2016 10:08 AM

He was a fine pitcher over the course of his career, but Harvey "The Kitten" Haddix is remembered for a game he lost; a perfect game he took into the thirteenth inning on May 26, 1959, against the Milwaukee Braves, when Henry Aaron and Joe Adcock did him in.  After the game, Haddix's opposing starting pitcher, Lew Burdette, said that an experienced competitor like Haddix should have known better than to bunch his hits.

1/1/2016 12:08 PM
That is a cruel comment by Burdette. Crueler still is that baseball has since changed the rules so that Haddix is not credited with a perfect game, just as any pitcher who loses a no-hitter is not credited with one despite pitching one. Nine perfect innings (not to mention 12 !) are nine perfect innings. Period. Win or lose later on. 
1/1/2016 6:50 PM

I'm not really sure (since I obviously wasn't there) if it was said as a "smart-***" comment or if he was trying to be funny.  I guess without knowing, you could take it either way.

1/1/2016 6:53 PM
Bob Gibson is the luckiest pitcher in baseball. He is always on the mound when the opposing team doesn't score any runs-Tim McCarver

In June-July 1968 he won all 12 of his starts, surrendering 6 earned runs in 108 innings pitched(0.50 ERA). All were complete games, and 8 of those starts were shutouts...28 of his 34 starts were complete games. The other 6 he was pinch hit for. Schoendienst didn't have to remove him during an inning all season...
1/1/2016 11:54 PM (edited)
The biggest thrill a ballplayer can have is when a son takes after you. That happened when my Bobby was in his Little League championship game. He really showed me something. Struck out three times. Made an error that lost the game. Parents were throwing things at our car, and were swearing at us as we drove away. Gosh, I was proud. - Bob Uecker
1/2/2016 12:02 AM
When I approached him a second time with the cameras rolling, Munson grabbed the microphone and suggested a physical impossibility- Jim Bouton, Ball Four
1/2/2016 12:10 AM
From "Our Dad, Ryne Duren"

He wore glasses as thick as War and Peace and still couldn't see . . . Home plate was a blur. The batter was a blur. . . Nobody was safe. . . He'd hit batters and they'd explode.  He'd hit a guy selling beer in the 15th row and both the guy and the beers would explode.  He'd let one loose into his own team's dugout and the whole team would explode. He once hit, no ****, a guy waiting on the on-deck circle.  Dad mistook him for home plate.  Yogi Berra, dad's catcher during his years with the Yankees, painted his fingers red in the hopes that dad would be able to see his signals.  Nobody within a 180-radius of Ryne Duren was safe, and the people standing behind Ryne Duren were nervous.  

1/2/2016 1:39 PM
One of my favorites:

Some kids dream of joining the circus, others of becoming a major league baseball player. I have been doubly blessed. As a member of the New York Yankees, I have gotten to do both.

Graig Nettles

1/2/2016 1:46 PM
Four players have stolen bases in 4 different numerical decades in major league history:

1)  Rickey Henderson-1970s,80s, 90s, and 2000s.  1406 career steals.

2)Tim Raines-1970s,80s, 90s,2000s.  808 career steals

3)Omar vizquel-1980s,90s,2000s,2010s.  404 career steals.

4)Ted Williams!---1930s,40s,50s, and 60s.   A whopping 24 career steals, 2 in 1939, and 0ne in 1960, only 6 in the 1950s!
1/3/2016 11:05 AM (edited)

Mails Proves Greatness, Blanks Robins
Vince Guerrieri | On 20, Feb 2015

Game 6 marked the first World Series game played in Cleveland on a workday. But thousands of people had made plans to be at League Park or someplace that wasn’t work to get regular results from the game.

The box office at League Park opened at 9:30 that morning, and by 10, crowds were starting to fill in the stands – four hours before the scheduled start time. Within an hour of that, boys were climbing trees around the ballpark for a vantage point to see some of the game, and rooftops along Lexington Avenue started to fill with fans. C. A. Reichheld, president of the Acme Awning Co., said the roof of the building was reserved for employees and their friends. “If we let everybody up who wants to get up the building would have collapsed long ago,” he said.

Once again, former Cleveland mayor and then-Secretary of War Newton D. Baker was in the stands. This time he was accompanied by Myron Herrick, the U.S. ambassador to France. Herrick, a Lorain County native, had served as a Cleveland councilman and was governor. Warren Harding, the Marion native running as a Republican for President in 1920, was Herrick’s lieutenant governor.

Prior to the game, Bill Wambsganss and Elmer Smith were honored at home plate with gold watch fobs. The day before, each had made baseball history, Wamby with what remains the only unassisted triple play in World Series history, and Smith for hitting the first grand slam in the Fall Classic.

The Great Mails was the starter for the Indians. Duster Mails had been bought from Sacramento in the Pacific Coast League earlier that year, and went 7-0 in eight starts for the Indians, an invaluable help for a team that needed every win they could get. And Mails, who had bestowed his superlative nickname on himself, wasn’t lacking in confidence in general, or as he got his first World Series start.

“Brooklyn will be lucky to get a foul tip off me today,” Mails said before the game. “If Spoke and the boys will give me one run, Cleveland will win.”

Mails got his one run in the sixth. Speaker hit a two-out single, and Burns came to the plate. Speaker used Burns to spell Doc Johnston, usually against left-handed pitchers. Burns sized up southpaw Sherrod Smith, and hit a double into the left field power alley, which rolled all the way to the wall. Burns rolled into second with a double, and Speaker wheeled home from first.

“I shot over a fast one to Burns and he happened to catch it square,” Smith said afterward. “But just let me pitch to that fellow again.”

Sportswriter-turned-umpire Billy Evans said some fans tried to grab the ball as a souvenir. Had interference been ruled, Speaker would have held at third. Brooklyn protested that the ball was touched by a fan, but umpires disagreed. The run counted, and the fans roared their approval.

“Everyone knows it’s the winning run as soon as Speaker arrives,” Damon Runyon would write for the next day’s paper. “Against Sherrod Smith’s great left handed pitching another left-hander is pitching with even greater effectiveness. This is Walter Mails, nicknamed ‘Duster.’”

Mails was right. It was the only run he would need. He was able to pitch out of a bases-loaded jam in the second, and threw a three-hit shutout, a performance that to that point had been surpassed just twice in the World Series – with two-hitters thrown on back-to-back days in the 1906 Fall Classic. Fred Charles of the Plain Dealer called it “one of the prettiest games of baseball ever played on any diamond.” Mails had pitched 15 1/3 scoreless innings in the World Series – no mean feat for a man who had essentially been picked up off the discard pile earlier that year.

“I would pitch my arm off for Tris Speaker if need be,” Mails said after the game, and Speaker was thrilled with his pitcher’s performance, saying he “proved himself 18 carats fine.” He also had high praise for Burns.

“Has he ever rose to the occasion any more successfully he did today when he rapped one of Sherrod Smith’s best offerings to the center-field bleachers for two bases and scored me all the way from first,” Speaker asked after the game. ”The best of it was he told me he was going to do it.”

Both Robins manager and namesake Wilbert Robinson, and outfielder Zack Wheat reminded everyone that the Indians would have to win five games. Their backs were against the wall, but they thought they could still win the World Series.

“I’ll pitch either Rube Marquard or Burleigh Grimes tomorrow and either one of them can stop Cleveland,” Robinson said. Wheat promised that if Stan Coveleski pitched Game 7, he’d get knocked out of the box.

The Robins would get that chance.
1/6/2016 8:35 PM
Coveleski shut them out the next day too. I went to look up this Series - thanks for the post DoctorKz as really knew very little about this World Series - 1920. When I did look it up it took my brain a little while to grasp that though it went 7 games, it was a best of 9 series, so Cleveland won 5-2. In the Seven games, against apparently one of the best pitching staffs ever on the mound for a World Series, the Brooklyn Robins scored just 8 runs in 7 games (outscored 21-7 overall). 

Nice post. 
1/7/2016 7:01 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...57 Next ▸
Great Baseball Sayings and Curious Facts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.