Introducing the Smith mega power super duper conf Topic

As the founder and Commissioner of the (currently dormant) Mega-Ultra-Super-Duper-Uber-Challenge, I must object to the wording of your conference name, and insist you cease and desist all usage that so closely resembles our fine challenge. Thanks!

2/19/2016 2:23 PM
I'll take North Park
2/19/2016 2:46 PM
Glad to have you terps.
2/19/2016 3:38 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 2/19/2016 2:23:00 PM (view original):
As the founder and Commissioner of the (currently dormant) Mega-Ultra-Super-Duper-Uber-Challenge, I must object to the wording of your conference name, and insist you cease and desist all usage that so closely resembles our fine challenge. Thanks!

You could join us since you ain't in a mega ultra super subre Uber challenge anymore ;)
2/19/2016 3:39 PM
I would but I despise 1x worlds. Too slow for me...already stuck with Rupp
2/19/2016 4:26 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 2/19/2016 4:26:00 PM (view original):
poor dac, playing in rupp with those 4 titles in 5 years must really be hard on you ;)
2/19/2016 10:23 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 2/19/2016 10:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dacj501 on 2/19/2016 4:26:00 PM (view original):
poor dac, playing in rupp with those 4 titles in 5 years must really be hard on you ;)
it's brutal!
2/20/2016 4:49 AM
Season 4 update everyone now has gotten a team full of their own players and their first freshmen to senior year.

3 teams in the Final Four(from the same division as well lol)

.6377 rpi current(we had high .64 at the end of non conf) 7 top 25 rpi teams 10 top 50 and then remaining 2 are 75 and 78th, everyone is top 20 SOS including 9 of the top 10(we don't have #7)

9 teams made the NT 2 in the PI

I'd say that is quite impressive

Bonus cash currently sitting at 7,750 per team
7/13/2016 10:29 AM
This and others like it are probably the reason they're doing away with post season bonus cash.

I am not making a value judgement because I am in my fair share of full conferences but it does seem a little like gaming the system to me.

I also hope that without the bonus cash people still fill conferences in the new game.

Yes, yes, I know population will shrink to a point where this won't be possible,blah blah....
7/13/2016 10:53 AM
How is it "gaming" the system. It would be extremely tough to continously do this I'm actually amazed at how good we were since we've been tripping over each other constantly in recruiting since we didn't have any bonus cash to start, this is our first big haul so it would be interesting to see how different recruiting is. And everyone didn't just get handed this cash everyone played a brutal conference, the 3 teams that didn't make it would've been a top team in all but maybe 1-2 other conferences and our "weaker" teams would've been top teams elsewhere to, now there is no reward for enduring a brutal conference except the ******* stupid 1 preference that will be nothing like what conference cash does now.

Without it I could care less about what my conference mates do, I'd rather them all lose in the first round as that would keep their prestige low, instead of rooting for them because it helps me out like it does now.

There is maybe only 1-2 conferences that could get by without any bonus cash in the UAA and USAS, but they would sure be at a much bigger disadvantage tghan they are now.

And anything about conference prestige is bullshit it doesn't mean **** and will have a low impact.

Seble is destroying one of the best aspects of the game.
7/13/2016 11:11 AM (edited)
"Gaming the system" using the rules and procedures to manipulate the system for a desired outcome. (wikipedia)

The key components to the current game are:

1. Identifying the best players in recruiting
2. Being able to sign those players
3. Maximizing those players growth through practice
4. Game planning each game
and maybe
5. Being able to manipulate your schedule to get a good seed in the tournament

It's a fine line between "strategy" and "gaming the system" but super conferences (especially coupled with the common practice of going 10-0 vs decent sims on the road in those conferences) are very beneficial with #2 and #5. I understand the risk reward with superconferences (although's it's really very little if you are at least better than 3 other guys in the conference) but personally I feel the bonus cash "earned" by them is pretty unbalancing.

I feel pretty similarly about the 6-6 super class strategy. Carryover cash being removed is a great addition in my opinion.

FWIW, the grognards really thought (and think) that #3 was cheapened with the potential update 6 or so years ago. I didn't agree with them then and still don't.

I am interested in seeing if people still continue to form superconferences in the new game. I suspect they will but at a lower rate.
7/13/2016 11:31 AM
So getting a good seed by going through a tough conference is manipulating the system? Yes I played 10 sims on the road, however if I played decent humans I probably wouldn't have qualified for the NT with 2 extra losses, and only 4 schools in our conference scheduled all sims(2 of those teams ended up playing humans so only 2 actually played full sim non conf)

So you think it's more stragic than gaming to join an empty conference and run through 16-0 every season?

6-6 I still laugh that people get so uptight about it, it's not some cheat system that guarentees success.

No I highly doubt super conferences are still formed at least not by competent coaches those who want to win will be in ~half full conferences that don't step on each other and don't completely ruin rpi, eventually the current super conferences will break up with people leaving initially or realizing super conferences are punished for being "too good"

How do you think your Cali conference would be without bonus cash? want to recruit PNW, well screw you, you can't afford it. Want to recruit the southwest, screw you too, hope you can find enough talented recruits in Cali alone!
7/13/2016 11:43 AM (edited)
Skinn is in! Nice go Elmhurst!
7/13/2016 11:47 AM
Posted by the0nlyis on 7/13/2016 11:43:00 AM (view original):
So getting a good seed by going through a tough conference is manipulating the system? Yes I played 10 sims on the road, however if I played decent humans I probably wouldn't have qualified for the NT with 2 extra losses, and only 4 schools in our conference scheduled all sims(2 of those teams ended up playing humans so only 2 actually played full sim non conf)

So you think it's more stragic than gaming to join an empty conference and run through 16-0 every season?

6-6 I still laugh that people get so uptight about it, it's not some cheat system that guarentees success.

No I highly doubt super conferences are still formed at least not by competent coaches those who want to win will be in ~half full conferences that don't step on each other and don't completely ruin rpi, eventually the current super conferences will break up with people leaving initially or realizing super conferences are punished for being "too good"

How do you think your Cali conference would be without bonus cash? want to recruit PNW, well screw you, you can't afford it. Want to recruit the southwest, screw you too, hope you can find enough talented recruits in Cali alone!
1. I don't think getting a good seed by going through a tough conference is manipulating. I do think that alot of the seeds from super conferences are inflated. It isn't an always thing but in many cases, particularly in conferences with 3-4 REALLY good coaches and 3-4 kinda good coaches, the 6th, 7th and 8th seed from the conference get inflated seeds. It doesn't always work out that way, there are plenty examples of the 7th seed in the old GLV making the FF but I feel that those teams are often overseeded.

2. PLaying 10 sims on the road also helps, and you know this, all your conference mates. Now when they beat you they beat a team with a higher than it should RPI, which turns around and helps them in seeding.

3. I don't think it's more strategic to play in sim filled conference. Nor did I say that, although I do applaud your ability to make ridiculous questions and statements. I think superconferences get to much of a reward (cash and seeding).

4. You can laugh all you want about people being uptight about your 6-6 strategy. It's cheesy and I am not alone feeling that way. In and of itself, it's fine I guess, you are giving up a year (or two) of being good to be REALLY good for one or two years. The real issue, and again you know this, is that you carry over two years of tournament cash, so that first crop you have SO much money you have such a significant advantage. Again it's unbalancing. It isn't a guarantee success, it's unbalancing and it is certainly gaming the system, IMO.

5. And we go back to the word punish. Maybe, just maybe, some of the "punishment" is the correcting of loopholes, or simply mistakes, in the system. Also, I think there are a number of competent coaches who want to win (which seems a little redundant) who like the challenge of playing humans. It won't be the optimal choice for sure, but some of us don't mind having a slight disadvantage.

6. I have managed to scout nationally at D2 and D3 in both full and empty conferences. Does the money help? Absolutely, but it isn't impossible (or hard for me) to do without it. With that being said, it's harder in the current system of the beta and I hope that changes.

7. My point is that it is ADVANTAGEOUS to be in superconference (and to run a 6-6) and that the advantages are probably more than they should be. So much extra cash and inflated seeds and I am glad they are putting a governor on the advantages of them.
7/13/2016 12:49 PM
4. You can laugh all you want about people being uptight about your 6-6 strategy. It's cheesy and I am not alone feeling that way. In and of itself, it's fine I guess, you are giving up a year (or two) of being good to be REALLY good for one or two years. The real issue, and again you know this, is that you carry over two years of tournament cash, so that first crop you have SO much money you have such a significant advantage. Again it's unbalancing. It isn't a guarantee success, it's unbalancing and it is certainly gaming the system, IMO.

I agree with this. I think BETA fixes it, I hope it does.
7/13/2016 1:26 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Introducing the Smith mega power super duper conf Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.