Please Help - New Player Topic

Posted by zhawks on 1/16/2017 12:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by reinsel on 1/16/2017 12:17:00 PM (view original):
Yeah. Just try to learn as much as possible at D3. The game does get harder and less forgiving as you go up in division, so if you can't win at D3, you'll have a harder time at D2, not an easier one. And prepare to lose for a bit while you learn. My first few seasons were rough, but I recruited a few good players and it just takes time to learn what is a good player, what works for gameplanning, etc. Just adjust your approach until you find success and you'll do well.
And when someone here tells you the players you recruited suck... we aren't trying to be mean... the players just really suck :)

so much of the game revolves around being able to find the right players... it's key to the game so while you lose make sure you figure out who and how to recruit them.
True enough. A lot of times, though, "your players suck" isn't constructive advice. And the guy saying it offers an outlier or a player from a higher division as "proof." As long as each recruiting class improves your team you are headed in the right direction.

We recently got HD 3.0, which was a major revamp of scouting and recruiting. Some of the 2.0 veterans have picked it up, some have not. Some of the newbies have picked it up but aren't yet skilled at game planning. You'll need to take all the advice you get with a grain of salt until you find one or two guys who are reliable and not just chest-pounders. Good luck. This game is terrific.
1/16/2017 12:50 PM
Not the greatest in the World, but always free to answer questions! Sitemail me if you want.

I had a mentor after a couple rocky seasons, and I have hung around a couple hundred more. Mentors really can help.
1/16/2017 12:53 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 1/16/2017 12:55:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 1/16/2017 12:51:00 AM (view original):
I am not the most qualified person to answer your questions, I have only been around for about a year as opposed to like 10, but I would be glad to do so. Stick around it is a great game
Damn, why were you trying to give me advice on how to play earlier in the year?
Because I was trying to be helpful... My advice was sound, other coaches agreed with what I said. I have still had some sucess, Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - MonsterTurtl Coach Profile - Phelan. My record across all worlds is hurt by my rebuilds in Knight as I moved up the ranks. Compare your record to mine, your NT record to mine and you can see you could learn something. I have recently been having a lot of success. I feel like I can offer advice, but I admit there are people more qualified to do so, that doesn't mean you shouldn't listen to what I say.
1/16/2017 1:04 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 1/16/2017 12:50:00 PM (view original):
Yeah. Just try to learn as much as possible at D3. The game does get harder and less forgiving as you go up in division, so if you can't win at D3, you'll have a harder time at D2, not an easier one. And prepare to lose for a bit while you learn. My first few seasons were rough, but I recruited a few good players and it just takes time to learn what is a good player, what works for gameplanning, etc. Just adjust your approach until you find success and you'll do well.
And when someone here tells you the players you recruited suck... we aren't trying to be mean... the players just really suck :)

so much of the game revolves around being able to find the right players... it's key to the game so while you lose make sure you figure out who and how to recruit them.
True enough. A lot of times, though, "your players suck" isn't constructive advice. And the guy saying it offers an outlier or a player from a higher division as "proof." As long as each recruiting class improves your team you are headed in the right direction.

We recently got HD 3.0, which was a major revamp of scouting and recruiting. Some of the 2.0 veterans have picked it up, some have not. Some of the newbies have picked it up but aren't yet skilled at game planning. You'll need to take all the advice you get with a grain of salt until you find one or two guys who are reliable and not just chest-pounders. Good luck. This game is terrific.
Never said some people weren't mean around here... but the fact still stands you're first class will be crap... it has to be because you don't know what you're doing yet:)
1/16/2017 1:25 PM
Posted by zhawks on 1/16/2017 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by CoachSpud on 1/16/2017 12:50:00 PM (view original):

Never said some people weren't mean around here... but the fact still stands you're first class will be crap... it has to be because you don't know what you're doing yet:)
This is true. And, IMO, it's a bit problematic. I mentioned this in another thread but the timeline to success looks like this assuming complete n00b:
Season 1: Players you didn't recruit. Probably bad ones. Bad season.
Season 2: Some players you did recruit but probably still bad because you don't know what you don't know. Bad season.
Season 3: More players that you recruited but that all have terrible IQ that has to be developed. Better but still bad season.
Season 4: Mostly your team now. Hopefully you recruited 3-4 in S2 that are developed and can carry you. Chance for success.
Season 5: All you. Still have a couple from S1 recruiting but the rest of your team should be relatively good. Success!!!

Now you could screw up S2 recruiting by shooting too high and getting shut out. And that, of course, delays success!!!

It's really a hard sell to tell someone they probably won't be any good until S4 at the earliest. And that's doing all the right things.
1/16/2017 1:33 PM
That said, you can find a reason to stick with it if you try. A freshman I recruited in my first class should have a chance to be the all-time leading scorer at my school. He'll be a 4 year starter and will finish with more than 300 pts this season while improving more than 70 pts 24 games in. And he's at C+ in O IQ so I expect him to be better next year. 1640 is the school record. While I'll only win 10ish this season(my 2nd), it's more enjoyable than my first because 4 of my players are "my guys".
1/16/2017 1:40 PM
I don't disagree completely with you by any means, my biggest issue is that season 1 you no longer get to recruit. If that could be changed it solves a solid chunk of the problem IMO.
1/16/2017 1:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/16/2017 1:40:00 PM (view original):
That said, you can find a reason to stick with it if you try. A freshman I recruited in my first class should have a chance to be the all-time leading scorer at my school. He'll be a 4 year starter and will finish with more than 300 pts this season while improving more than 70 pts 24 games in. And he's at C+ in O IQ so I expect him to be better next year. 1640 is the school record. While I'll only win 10ish this season(my 2nd), it's more enjoyable than my first because 4 of my players are "my guys".
This is oh so typical for me as well...

Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Anthony Daniels - Stats - Phelan - Hoops Dynasty Basketball | WhatIfSports

Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Team Profile

Granted I don't think he'll have a shot at this:

Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Team Profile
1/16/2017 1:43 PM
Posted by zhawks on 1/16/2017 1:41:00 PM (view original):
I don't disagree completely with you by any means, my biggest issue is that season 1 you no longer get to recruit. If that could be changed it solves a solid chunk of the problem IMO.
I guess the problem with recruiting your players before you first season is that complete n00bs don't know what they're doing. Of the 4 I recruited, I have the one who I expect to challenge All-time scoring record at the school, a JUCO who is a solid starter and 2 PGs that are serviceable depending on who you ask. It could have been a lot worse but I wasn't a complete n00b either.
1/16/2017 1:52 PM
Your guy should take #2 on the list. IIRC, 1200 would get my guy in top 5 so he wouldn't even have to get better for that.
1/16/2017 1:55 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/16/2017 1:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zhawks on 1/16/2017 1:41:00 PM (view original):
I guess the problem with recruiting your players before you first season is that complete n00bs don't know what they're doing. Of the 4 I recruited, I have the one who I expect to challenge All-time scoring record at the school, a JUCO who is a solid starter and 2 PGs that are serviceable depending on who you ask. It could have been a lot worse but I wasn't a complete n00b either.
Well I think a noob > simmy. regardless is there a guide anymore that says what makes a good player? If so it's not something that someone can easily find either.
1/16/2017 1:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/16/2017 1:55:00 PM (view original):
Your guy should take #2 on the list. IIRC, 1200 would get my guy in top 5 so he wouldn't even have to get better for that.
My guy has an outside shot at 3 pointers attempted and made records and a very very very long shot at overall scoring in the world, he should be top 25. Still impressed so many years later McInnis still holds the scoring title.
1/16/2017 1:59 PM
You can come here and ask. People will tell you. But you'll get differing opinions and possibly be more confused than when you started.

Someone did mention to me in sitemail that some guys run a specific O or D with all their teams so their idea of the "right type" might be very limited. That's something I hadn't considered. After all, if a guy runs fastbreak/fullcourt press with 6 teams, how much will he know about my motion/zone?
1/16/2017 2:04 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/16/2017 2:04:00 PM (view original):
You can come here and ask. People will tell you. But you'll get differing opinions and possibly be more confused than when you started.

Someone did mention to me in sitemail that some guys run a specific O or D with all their teams so their idea of the "right type" might be very limited. That's something I hadn't considered. After all, if a guy runs fastbreak/fullcourt press with 6 teams, how much will he know about my motion/zone?
There are guys that are "better" suited for specific defenses for sure. Zone to me has always been the most finicky so I refuse to run it. When it comes to M2M v Press the differentiater between who will work in what sets is fairly easy to understand. So yes... I do agree with you that guys can 'fit' but also the 'fit' is very much more on defense than on offense IMO. And I have ran all O/D combinations outside of FB.
1/16/2017 2:13 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure there's much difference in Triangle/Flex/Motion. Fastbreak would seem to require more speed to create an advantage but you still need BH/PASS skills to keep from being a turnover machine.
1/16/2017 2:17 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Please Help - New Player Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.