"Here's how I think the game was designed to work: You start in D3. You move up to D2. You move up to a low level D1(like App State). You win your conference, make a few NT, win a few NT games and wait for the better job. Then you get the better players. IOW, App State is competing against W. Carolina, UNC Greensboro, etc, etc. They are NOT competing against UNC, Kentucky, etc, etc. They're not even competing against VaTech or S. Carolina. D teams are competing against C/D teams."

You just described how it used to work. And then people whined and complained that the higher prestige teams were too tough to beat.
9/22/2017 1:27 PM
Posted by Benis on 9/22/2017 1:27:00 PM (view original):
"Here's how I think the game was designed to work: You start in D3. You move up to D2. You move up to a low level D1(like App State). You win your conference, make a few NT, win a few NT games and wait for the better job. Then you get the better players. IOW, App State is competing against W. Carolina, UNC Greensboro, etc, etc. They are NOT competing against UNC, Kentucky, etc, etc. They're not even competing against VaTech or S. Carolina. D teams are competing against C/D teams."

You just described how it used to work. And then people whined and complained that the higher prestige teams were too tough to beat.
So App State and UNC are on a level playing field? I bet they aren't.
9/22/2017 1:28 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/22/2017 1:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 9/22/2017 1:22:00 PM (view original):
"Some, like you, will be content with mediocrity."

This is basically it. If you can find 100 people who are fine with never even making the NT then yeah, maybe 250 people at D1 will work.

I just don't think people are going to find a game enjoyable where they're a D prestige team and fighting over scraps that will never get them a shot at the NT.
Do conference champs make the NT in D1? I'm guessing they do. I don't have any experience in D1 under 3.0 but, under 1.0, I was making the NT with Elon and LaSalle. Not exactly powerhouse schools.
And I need an answer to this. Cuz I might be mistaken.
9/22/2017 1:29 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/22/2017 1:26:00 PM (view original):
JSS, as usual, you bore me to ******* death. Why I unblocked you is beyond me. My ignorance in thinking that you might be interesting, I guess. My bad.

Every team in D1 sees the same recruits(if they scout the same states). Do you think App State should be able to sign the same players as UNC? So UNC would get the top players and App State would get 3rd/4th level players. Or do you think, in order for D1 to work with 250 users that 'mo better players need to be generated? That, in order for App State to survive, that they must get high quality players?

Here's how I think the game was designed to work: You start in D3. You move up to D2. You move up to a low level D1(like App State). You win your conference, make a few NT, win a few NT games and wait for the better job. Then you get the better players. IOW, App State is competing against W. Carolina, UNC Greensboro, etc, etc. They are NOT competing against UNC, Kentucky, etc, etc. They're not even competing against VaTech or S. Carolina. D teams are competing against C/D teams.
You started a thread specifically in an attempt to call me out -- doesn't sound I like bore you, sounds like you're pretty defensive about your lack of success. If you weren't such a clown, I might be willing to give you a few gameplay tips.

3.0 -- which you have loudly and repeatedly defended -- is designed to give the App States of the world a better shot against the UNCs of the world. But this argument is -- as usual with you -- a straw man. Of course the D team isn't going to compete for an elite recruit against A+ UNC -- but the system is designed to give the C+/B- team a shot against the A+ team. In your 250 user DI, all those B-/C+ teams are going to be human, and they're all going to be heavily incentivized to take their shots against the A+ teams (and the D teams are incentivized to take a shot against the C+/B- teams). Your post makes clear that you don't understand how DI recruiting works. Again, that's fine -- you haven't been able to make it to DI yet. It's not your fault.
9/22/2017 1:42 PM
And, benis, answer my damn questions. Don't go into hiding every time you say something stupid.

Is App State and UNC on a level playing field in recruiting?
Do conference champs make the NT in D1?

Two yes/no questions. You've already answered them wrong so try to other one.
9/22/2017 1:57 PM
was the original post actually a sincere question?

yes, need good players
9/22/2017 2:04 PM
No, I was mocking those who say "You don't have any D1 experience in 3.0. You don't know how it works." They seem to think they've invented the wheel and everyone not in D1 is still trying to perfect shoes.
9/22/2017 2:08 PM
Hell, the user that started the discussion has more seasons at one school than I have played since 2005. He should know a little about HD.
9/22/2017 2:11 PM
If preferences favor App St then yes, they can absolutely compete against UNC for recruits.
9/22/2017 2:18 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/22/2017 1:55:00 PM (view original):
My success is just fine, dippy. If you weren't such a dick, I'd be tempted to have a legit discussion with you. But you are what you are.

I'm well aware of how recruiting, at all levels, works. Every user tries to reach as high as possible, and still win, in every recruiting session. Is this not correct? In a 250 user setting, the lower level schools are going to have to settle for lesser recruits and compete against one another not UNC/Duke.. D2 and D3 schools would be **** out of luck in trying to grab anything but the worst D1 players.

Not to justify not being in D1 but that wasn't a goal until TJ wanted to fill a D1 world. Now I'm working my way there in Rupp. Looking forward to beating your pompous *** in a few seasons.
I think you and I have different definitions of success. To me, a 54.7 winning percentage is pretty mediocre, but you do you.

I'm not going to explain DI recruiting to you again, and why a 250+ DI would be a fiasco. You don't understand how it works, and you refuse to listen to those who have tried to explain it to you.

But if you do ever make it to DI in Rupp, I'm at Florida. I look forward to your challenge -- it should be educational for you.
9/22/2017 2:20 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 9/22/2017 2:18:00 PM (view original):
If preferences favor App St then yes, they can absolutely compete against UNC for recruits.
I'm curious about this.

Let's say A+ UNC has four openings and is on 4 different recruits. Four different D prestige schools go all in on a different recruit. UNC wouldn't be able to afford to fend off all four, right? Unless maybe they're super duper close. Or what if it was one A+ team and 3 D teams and UNC needed to go all in to battle the A+ then one of the Ds could win.

So yeah, I think there scenarios where a low prestige team could beat a high prestige team.
9/22/2017 2:23 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/22/2017 1:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/22/2017 1:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 9/22/2017 1:22:00 PM (view original):
"Some, like you, will be content with mediocrity."

This is basically it. If you can find 100 people who are fine with never even making the NT then yeah, maybe 250 people at D1 will work.

I just don't think people are going to find a game enjoyable where they're a D prestige team and fighting over scraps that will never get them a shot at the NT.
Do conference champs make the NT in D1? I'm guessing they do. I don't have any experience in D1 under 3.0 but, under 1.0, I was making the NT with Elon and LaSalle. Not exactly powerhouse schools.
And I need an answer to this. Cuz I might be mistaken.
Yes, all conference tournament champs automatically make the NT.

And the dice rolls have leveled the playing field somewhat between the big boys and the midmajors -- its not complete equality, but we have a fighting chance. Quick story: I'm at Bowling Green in Tark and have them at B- prestige. During recruiting last season, I zeroed in on a guy from Puerto Rico. He wasn't ranked (because he is an international), but he was a Top 100-level player (755 total ratings, 87 ATH, 67 SPD, 77 DEF). I target him from the first cycle, get to very high pretty quickly and no one else is really on him. If I get him, he is a game-changer for BG -- would be one of the best players in the conference as a freshman.

A few cycles in, Florida State (A prestige, last four seasons are S16, S16, first round, E8 with 2 ACC conf titles) comes in hard. Under 2.0, I would have gotten out of Dodge -- no chance to beat out FSU for this guy. But I keep putting some effort into him (while searching for backup options). Why? Because if I can stay at high or very high, I have a chance with the dice roll. FSU ends up getting him, but the dice roll said I had a 25% shot. If I keep taking chances on guys like that, eventually, I am going to land a stud player.

Is a D- App State going to compete with A+ UNC for recruits? No. But a B- VCU might have good preferences with a recruit and win a dice roll against UNC. And with the right preferences, App State might steal a guy from VCU on the dice roll.
9/22/2017 2:25 PM
Posted by Benis on 9/22/2017 2:23:00 PM (view original):
I'm curious about this.

Let's say A+ UNC has four openings and is on 4 different recruits. Four different D prestige schools go all in on a different recruit. UNC wouldn't be able to afford to fend off all four, right? Unless maybe they're super duper close. Or what if it was one A+ team and 3 D teams and UNC needed to go all in to battle the A+ then one of the Ds could win.

So yeah, I think there scenarios where a low prestige team could beat a high prestige team.
Did mike assume D/C schools wouldn't try to compete against A prestige?
9/22/2017 2:28 PM
Mike - remind us why you gave up playing HD?
9/22/2017 2:29 PM
Posted by Benis on 9/22/2017 2:23:00 PM (view original):
I'm curious about this.

Why, it's almost as if people who play DI in 3.0 have more knowledge as to how DI recruiting works than those who aren't in DI. How very odd....
9/22/2017 2:30 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...19 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.