Most sucessful owner? Topic

He will often abuse his "celebrity" status to make favorable trades with newer, inexperienced owners. When veteran skilled owners see this kind of stuff go down they have two options 1) try to out trade Gleeman by exploiting the newer guys or 2) leave the world. Almost all end up leaving. He couldn't care less when skilled, quality owners leave because he knows he can pick up 4 or 5 new ones every season from his twitter followers. He makes it a point every post-season to point out how he's made the playoffs 40/44 seasons or whatever. A reasonable person would see something wrong with that kind of performance rather than celebrate it.

There was also a shady situation where I found a sock-puppet owner (one guy owning two teams and making lopsided trades between them) in one of his leagues. I brought it to his attention and the first thing he did was ask if I mentioned it to anyone else as if he wanted to sweep it under the rug. When I told him I had already given the evidence to CS he changes his demeanor and goes on world chat saying he worked with CS to find the culprit.

It's odd because he comes off as very personable on his podcast and I enjoy listening to it. But I get the impression he either thinks he can do no wrong now that he's gotten successful or he has just always been kind of a douche but he's been able to hide it as his success has grown.
1/10/2018 3:37 AM (edited)
Any indiscretions are self-contained. I see both worlds are harmless. But, yeah, when the commish is dominating year in/year out, it looks fishy.
1/10/2018 7:12 AM
Having been in a world for a long time with one of these types of guys, the most frustrating thing about it is seeing other owners - veterans and newbs alike - making the same mistake over and over: trading top prospects to him for his used-up former stars. He always drafts late and gets only role players or trade bait from it; always has 40 million to get the top IFA; spends minimum on coaching, medical and his minors; and his roster never ages out or gets expensive, just cycles over and over with what should have been other teams' best players.

It is strategy worth learning from. Some might admire it.

1/10/2018 7:23 AM
Honestly, that happens in virtually every world. The top owner trades the 31-32 y/o for a 23 y/o. The older player is really good but expensive and declining. If you think you're missing 1-2 pieces, it's hard to decline the offer. Problem is the top owner already has his replacement because he traded a couple of 31-32 y/o guys the season before for that replacement. It's a cycle and, if you don't understand that, it's repeatable.

And, if the owner is in the other league, there is absolutely no reason to not make the trade. Most of us don't care who we face in the WS, we just want to get there first. It's up to the other 15 guys in that league to prevent him from getting there.
1/10/2018 9:01 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/10/2018 9:01:00 AM (view original):
Honestly, that happens in virtually every world. The top owner trades the 31-32 y/o for a 23 y/o. The older player is really good but expensive and declining. If you think you're missing 1-2 pieces, it's hard to decline the offer. Problem is the top owner already has his replacement because he traded a couple of 31-32 y/o guys the season before for that replacement. It's a cycle and, if you don't understand that, it's repeatable.

And, if the owner is in the other league, there is absolutely no reason to not make the trade. Most of us don't care who we face in the WS, we just want to get there first. It's up to the other 15 guys in that league to prevent him from getting there.
Yeah. This is pretty accurate.
1/10/2018 9:03 AM
Posted by brianplath on 1/10/2018 3:37:00 AM (view original):
He will often abuse his "celebrity" status to make favorable trades with newer, inexperienced owners. When veteran skilled owners see this kind of stuff go down they have two options 1) try to out trade Gleeman by exploiting the newer guys or 2) leave the world. Almost all end up leaving. He couldn't care less when skilled, quality owners leave because he knows he can pick up 4 or 5 new ones every season from his twitter followers. He makes it a point every post-season to point out how he's made the playoffs 40/44 seasons or whatever. A reasonable person would see something wrong with that kind of performance rather than celebrate it.

There was also a shady situation where I found a sock-puppet owner (one guy owning two teams and making lopsided trades between them) in one of his leagues. I brought it to his attention and the first thing he did was ask if I mentioned it to anyone else as if he wanted to sweep it under the rug. When I told him I had already given the evidence to CS he changes his demeanor and goes on world chat saying he worked with CS to find the culprit.

It's odd because he comes off as very personable on his podcast and I enjoy listening to it. But I get the impression he either thinks he can do no wrong now that he's gotten successful or he has just always been kind of a douche but he's been able to hide it as his success has grown.
This.

He actually is a douchebag. And his worlds are trash. WIS are on his nuts though. And why not? He brings in owners.
1/10/2018 9:58 AM
His worlds are self-contained. He's harmless and possibly productive. Brings in new owners and, if they sour on the game because of GW issues and leave, they wouldn't have been here anyway.

A user taking ready-made teams, exploding payroll and leaving an old/useless team behind is damaging to HBD.
1/10/2018 10:01 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I assume you mean new users only. While it creates an alias advantage, I think it would be a lot easier to "sell" a team of bloated contracts/declining players if they were to implement it. I took a team last season that I'd love to have that as an option.
1/10/2018 11:10 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
What I'd really like to see more than that feature is this: I'm not a tech guy but I assume WiS could find/prevent all the sock puppets through IP addresses but that would mean less money (in the short term) for them.
1/10/2018 2:36 PM
WIS could automatically publish a list of IPs under each username so that leagues could self police. I think MWRs do a good job of handling extreme tanking -- but the sock puppet thing is the one that would make me want to quit a world, post haste.
1/10/2018 4:37 PM
Posted by opie100 on 1/10/2018 4:38:00 PM (view original):
WIS could automatically publish a list of IPs under each username so that leagues could self police. I think MWRs do a good job of handling extreme tanking -- but the sock puppet thing is the one that would make me want to quit a world, post haste.
No one is publishing my ******* IP address.
1/10/2018 6:33 PM
It's 54. So there.

Oh, my bad. I thought you were talking about your IQ.
1/10/2018 6:46 PM
54: the number of wins that Gruden has in first 7 seasons - before they fire him.
1/10/2018 10:06 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Most sucessful owner? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.