Meandering Thoughts Topic

Dick Van **** Show
Andy Griffith Show
Bob Newhart Show (the original, with Suzanne Pleshette)
Leave it to Beaver
Barney Miller
The Carol Burnett Show
The Odd Couple
4/16/2019 4:53 PM (edited)
Posted by splat58 on 4/16/2019 4:53:00 PM (view original):
Dick Van **** Show
Andy Griffith Show
Bob Newhart Show (the original, with Suzanne Pleshette)
Leave it to Beaver
Barney Miller
The Carol Burnett Show
The Odd Couple
also the bernie sanders show
4/16/2019 4:54 PM
Posted by bronxcheer on 4/16/2019 4:24:00 PM (view original):
I don't do cartoons, anime, or comics.
Anime is for beta males. Don’t do comics. But some cartoons are good. Like Simpsons and South Park. And Family Guy before it catered to 12 yr olds had a cult following. But I just don’t agree with comedies on top 10s at all.
4/16/2019 5:29 PM
If that's just for your personal list because you don't enjoy comedies, that's fine. But if you're trying to make the popular argument that comedies just aren't of the same quality, I always find that incredibly conceited. The objective of television producers is to produce content that people want to watch. Obviously there is a degree of art, and you also want to make things you believe in. But people like comedy. Life is stressful. Comedy relieves the pressures of day-to-day life.

The final episode of M*A*S*H is STILL the most-viewed non-sporting broadcast of all time in the United States. In fact, it's the only one of the top 20 broadcasts that isn't a Super Bowl. Of the 10 most-viewed series finales, 7 are sitcoms, and only 2 are dramas (one is Johnny Carson).

People like comedies. Discounting them basically offhand because they aren't "smart enough" feels very disingenuous to me.
4/16/2019 6:16 PM
i dont think d meant comedies..i think he meant cartoon / comics....thats what he was talking about.
4/16/2019 6:20 PM
as an adult i cant watch cartoons on tv even though i love color......but i have fond memories of them as a kid.
4/16/2019 6:29 PM
i hope italyprof doesnt mind but id like to plug a thread i have about new advances in science.....it isnt tongue in cheek.....it is a thread to point out what is going on in the nitty gritty world of science and to sometimes dispel myths....about important stuff.......real and interesting stuff.
called future shock in non - sports channel.
4/16/2019 6:36 PM
The 1st season of Wiseguy was TV at its finest. Sonny Steelgrave was a brilliant character. A pure bad guy, yet completely made you root for him.
Ken Wahl's injuries and availability over the next few years derailed the show a bit but the Glen Frey and Kevin Spacey story lines were awesome too.

Monk.
Moonlighting.
Psych.
Party of Five.
4/17/2019 12:45 AM
Posted by edsortails on 4/17/2019 12:45:00 AM (view original):
The 1st season of Wiseguy was TV at its finest. Sonny Steelgrave was a brilliant character. A pure bad guy, yet completely made you root for him.
Ken Wahl's injuries and availability over the next few years derailed the show a bit but the Glen Frey and Kevin Spacey story lines were awesome too.

Monk.
Moonlighting.
Psych.
Party of Five.
love this post.
what you said about wiseguy is so on....i was so sad when that arc ended...i think the show was sorry they killed sonny off....you know there was a tv movie that came out a few years after the end of the show...vinnie never died.

i said psych too......monk also way up for me.

i wrote a letter to steven canala..the creator of wiseguy..of course not answered..i suggested they rboot with ken wahl as lifeguard.
wish the show got a reboot.
4/17/2019 12:55 AM
It's like 30 years later and if I hear Nights in White Satin, I go right to the last scene between Sonny and Vinnie in my head.
There are very few scenes that just stay with you like that.
4/17/2019 1:13 AM
Okay, my two cents:

BEST SCI-FI SERIES

-Babylon 5
-Star Trek Deep Space Nine
-Stargate SG-1
-Battlestar Galactica (2003 version)
-Star Trek The Next Genereation
-Earth Final Conflict
-UFO

BEST SCI-FI NOVELS

-Frank Herbert, Dune
-Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers
-Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven, The Mote In God's Eye
-Joe Halderman, The Forever War
-John Steakley, Armor
Jack McDevitt, A Talent For War
Robert Heinlein, Stranger In A Strange Land

BEST SITCOM

Seinfeld
MASH
Cheers
WKRP In Cincinnati
NewsRadio

And the only anime that I have ever really watched is Uchuu Senkan Yamato, aka Space Battleship Yamato, aka Starblazers. It has the baddest weapon ever--the Wave Motion Gun!
4/17/2019 3:13 AM
Dannino and I have very different sci-fi preferences. Wiseguy was a great show. Did I leave it off my list? My bad.

no problem dino27, post what you like here. Same to everyone.
4/17/2019 10:02 AM
I am pretty anti-snob in my cultural taste. So yes comedies count as art.

shakespeare cost a pemy to go see in Elizabethan London, it was not high culture.

everyone went to the theater in ancient Athens, and the ppeople voted on whk won thexannualthe annual contest for best 3 tragedies and one comedy. You had to present all 4 to compete.
and the people voTed for Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, and all agreed that Aristophanes' comedis, which openly insulted and made fun of leading citizens of the tone were the best.

if any of those guys were alive today, they would go straight to HollywoodHollywood or to HBO.
4/17/2019 10:10 AM
Posted by italyprof on 4/17/2019 10:02:00 AM (view original):
Dannino and I have very different sci-fi preferences. Wiseguy was a great show. Did I leave it off my list? My bad.

no problem dino27, post what you like here. Same to everyone.
Speaking of which, it's too bad your idea for a "Mirror Universe" league never came off.

I seem to remember that Wiseguy was part of a night of programming on CBS that also included Top Cops and Rescue 911.
4/17/2019 10:28 AM
Jonathan Banks ( Mike in Breaking Bad) was in Wiseguy? I tried to find Wiseguy in Netflix or Amazon a few years ago, must try again
4/17/2019 10:57 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Meandering Thoughts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.