Posted by dino27 on 8/9/2019 2:30:00 PM (view original):
really good stuff.

the national popular vote interstate compact is the vehicle to going to popular vote....15 state plus d.c have signed on.......36.2 % of electoral votes of needed 72.4% have signed on.......10/16 signees have 10 or less electoral votes....the big states are california and new york.
this is under the radar.
Thank you.

I know of it and I believe it will pass Constitutional muster. Nebraska and Maine already split their votes so there is no impediment. The fatal political risk of actually doing it is that it will work the first time but, if not subsequently adhered to in an unbiased way (it is only implemented when the Democratic candidate benefits,) the Democrats would destroy themselves because independents would revolt.

It is a quasi-nuclear option that can be used twice...once to win and again to kiss their ***** goodbye.
8/9/2019 2:40 PM
Add DC statehood to the "why wouldn't we do this" list btw... forgot that one
8/9/2019 2:44 PM
I don't buy any arguments that the electoral college is preserving our killing our country...
8/9/2019 2:48 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 8/9/2019 2:22:00 PM (view original):
We have an electoral college for the following reasons.

In order to get the smaller states to sign up, a compromise was made that was intentionally unfair to the larger states. Otherwise, therer would not have been a ratification and, thus, no USA. Further, this was in place as additional states were formed, all of which were small (population) when they signed on. Every state knew and understood the implication. The only way to undo that compromise is to amend the Constitution with a 3/4 majority ratification. Good luck getting the states that have remained small to give up their advantage.

Equally important, we are a Republic and not a Democracy. The Electoral College is based upon the Centurial Assembly of the Roman Republic. The framers of the Constitution intentionally placed a barrier between the citizen's vote and the selection of the national office. They considered a bunch of ways to do this...Congress make the selection, State legislatures make the selection. The College is what was agreed upon.
What He said! Exactly! Including and maybe even MOST importantly the 2nd paragraph/reason.
This Country is NOT a democracy, we are a Representative Democratic REPUBLIC!

There are numerous provisions intentionally written into all of our founding documents to protect the minority expression from the majority thought/rule!
It is inherent to our individual freedoms----EVERY BIT as important as the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th Etc, Amendments!
8/9/2019 4:43 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 8/9/2019 2:40:00 PM (view original):
really good stuff.

the national popular vote interstate compact is the vehicle to going to popular vote....15 state plus d.c have signed on.......36.2 % of electoral votes of needed 72.4% have signed on.......10/16 signees have 10 or less electoral votes....the big states are california and new york.
this is under the radar.
Thank you.

I know of it and I believe it will pass Constitutional muster. Nebraska and Maine already split their votes so there is no impediment. The fatal political risk of actually doing it is that it will work the first time but, if not subsequently adhered to in an unbiased way (it is only implemented when the Democratic candidate benefits,) the Democrats would destroy themselves because independents would revolt.

It is a quasi-nuclear option that can be used twice...once to win and again to kiss their ***** goodbye.
if it passes it is the law.....same formula use each time.
8/9/2019 5:51 PM
Posted by dino27 on 8/9/2019 5:51:00 PM (view original):
really good stuff.

this is under the radar.
Thank you.

LIKE OUR BORDER LAWS ON THE BOOKS WHICH HAVE BEEN IGNORED FOR DECADES?
8/9/2019 6:33 PM
really good stuff.

this is under the radar.
Thank you.

OK, if there are no exceptions then opponents can pound sand since the states (should) have the right. I was under the impression that the language in the proposal gave the states an either/or proposition but I am mistaken based on what you just said. Regardless, it will be challenged in the courts immediately upon passage.
8/9/2019 6:44 PM
the secretary of agriculture ,sonny perdue , has,called the hurting farmers -" whiners. "
can you believe that - yes.
republicans - in the age of trump ( 6 )
8/13/2019 10:31 AM
Posted by DougOut on 8/9/2019 6:33:00 PM (view original):
really good stuff.

this is under the radar.
Thank you.

LIKE OUR BORDER LAWS ON THE BOOKS WHICH HAVE BEEN IGNORED FOR DECADES?
Like, you..who have also been ignored for decades
8/13/2019 12:24 PM
MORE WORDS ABOUT BUILDINGS AND FOOD

the brazilian govt is actively undermining any attempt to save the rain forest
one might deduce the desire to capitalize on the new expanding soybean market with china by using the disappearing rain forest for soybean production
brazil is atop 3 producer.
the usa farmers are terrified that they are about to permanently lose their biggest importer...china to brazil and others.
8/13/2019 12:44 PM
So Chris Cuomo is a moron, and does something stupid. Trump supporters (and Trump himself) decide to raise the bar even lower by being actually anti-Italian (and saying Fredo is not the equivalent of the n-word.)
8/13/2019 12:58 PM
they have copyright ownership over the use of all slurs.
8/13/2019 1:00 PM
What did Cuomo do that was stupid? I will unequivocally state that I (personally) find him more than a tad (over the top) dramatic.
8/13/2019 1:15 PM
I thought that the word you're referring to Tangy was Dago????
8/13/2019 1:16 PM
KUNG FU FIGHTING

not even good people on both sides from trump.
united stated is no longer even " a " moral authority in the world.
thats a fact shaq.
8/13/2019 1:20 PM
◂ Prev 1...19|20|21|22|23...36 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.