This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by basoy6658 on 10/21/2019 10:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pallas on 10/21/2019 11:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by basoy6658 on 10/20/2019 9:29:00 PM (view original):
Feeling like Joker (Joaquin Phoenix from the movie). Life has been tough nowadays.
I'm sorry to hear that, basoy. Send me a sitemail if you want. We can talk about comedies and candies.
I'd rather be given a few HD seasons or a single season than talk about comedies that will wear off 15 minutes after we stop talking..
1. You’re welcome for offering to listen to why your life is so rough right now.
2. I’m good. I won’t be giving you anything.
10/22/2019 2:50 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Was Zion Williamson so important to the NBA that they're lamenting his injury? I can understand his importance to the Pelicans, certainly, but didn't watch him at Duke other than his highlights.
10/22/2019 3:22 PM
Posted by p6453 on 10/22/2019 3:22:00 PM (view original):
Was Zion Williamson so important to the NBA that they're lamenting his injury? I can understand his importance to the Pelicans, certainly, but didn't watch him at Duke other than his highlights.
Projected to be the next Lebron James without the Passing and Handling. However many 1s have been through significant injuries within the past 5 seasons.
10/22/2019 8:06 PM
Posted by WardoYT on 10/22/2019 8:06:00 PM (view original):
Projected to be the next Lebron James without the Passing and Handling. However many 1s have been through significant injuries within the past 5 seasons.
I would say he would be more like the next Charles Barkley. Big, strong, and hungry. He doesn't have near the shooting ability Lebron has.
10/23/2019 2:29 PM
But when you are taking shots from 1 foot away, you don't need to be a sharpshooter.
10/23/2019 2:34 PM
Posted by skinndogg on 10/23/2019 2:29:00 PM (view original):
I would say he would be more like the next Charles Barkley. Big, strong, and hungry. He doesn't have near the shooting ability Lebron has.
dogg...I watched some highlights from preseason-I think your assessment was spot on.
Barkley was one of a kind, especially at 6'4 and 3/4 to dominate like he did.
10/23/2019 3:03 PM
That is a lucid, intelligent, well-thought out opinion. OVERRULED.
10/23/2019 3:05 PM
Posted by skinndogg on 10/23/2019 2:29:00 PM (view original):
Spot on, this.

To Paul's question: I think it's a combination of two things: First, as a society, we love to anoint the next big thing, whether it's Harold Miner, or Kobe and KG, or Vince Carter, or LeBron. To most people, Zion is the next big thing, the next flag bearer of the NBA. Secondly, to skinn's point, he's something we haven't really seen before. Charles Barkley at 6'4" and Magic Johnson at 6'9". This kid is 285 lbs and more athletic than most.

I don't love the Pelicans. I hope Zion gets right and stays right.
10/23/2019 3:24 PM
I honestly never understood why Zion was the consensus #1 overall pick. I'm not really convinced he was the best NBA prospect on his own team. And I don't think that preseason highlights - from a league in which veterans notoriously give less than 100% effort in the preseason, when they play - convince me otherwise. He basically thrived in college by outmuscling and outjumping guys who were bigger and taller than him. I think there's way too much athleticism in the NBA for him to replicate his college success without adding something to his game. He has good handles for a post guy, but if you look at him as a 6'7" player they look a lot less impressive.

I dunno, I just don't see it. I'm concerned that even if he gets back to 100%, he's a borderline NBA starter. That's a fine thing to be, but it's really really tough when you carry this big a burden of expectations.
10/23/2019 5:26 PM
i feel like barkley comparison is shooting a bit too high. i see more blake griffin at best
i hope im wrong. i do think hes got alot of intangibles and id love to see him suceed. but i think hes really got to develop other parts of his game if he wants to be anywhere near barkley.
10/23/2019 5:46 PM
just read dashers post. wow. borderline starter?
i thought i was being the pessimistic one.
my opinion is he is easily a starter on pretty much any team unless there are health issues.
but i could definitely be wrong in either direction. it wouldnt be the first time.
10/23/2019 5:51 PM
i am not as down on him as dahs, but i definitely questioned why he was considered far and away the #1 pick. with the NBA seeming to embrace positionless basketball at least to some extent, and with the reliance on 3s these days, it seemed like a not-that-tall bruiser inside just wasn't that valuable of a mold.

sure, he was great - but i question his effectiveness against other NBA bigs. it definitely felt like he was 'bowling over' folks and overwhelming with energy more so than had great skill and touch. if that translates to the NBA, that would be pretty incredible / unbelievable. but you just can't be that physical and high energy when you play a game most days, seems to me, without having a high chance of injuries. color me unsurprised he's already got a significant one.

i would have taken ja personally, not that i am remotely qualified for such things
10/23/2019 6:50 PM
I'm in the Zion camp. He almost had too much raw ability to pass on him in the draft. Like the Portland GM that passed on Jordan. There is a slight chance for greatness for Zion. Not many have that chance.

At this point I'd compare him to more of a Larry Johnson (Grandmama) from UNLV. Can he improve on the 3-ball? Shot just under 34% last year from the closer college line. LeBron is a career 34.3% in the NBA. If he doesn't develop an outside shot he could struggle. Going way back for a comparison, how about 1970's George McGinnis from Indiana? He just survived on brute force but that probably isn't enough in today's game for Zion.

But similar to football, availability is an underrated skill. If he can stay on the court for 70+ games a year, I think he could put up big regular season numbers. Possibly a 25 & 10 guy within a couple years.
10/24/2019 1:42 PM
◂ Prev 1...19|20|21|22|23...39 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.