Critical news debate Topic

Posted by joshkvt on 5/8/2015 2:59:00 PM (view original):
Is there any idea brought up that's been completely ignored in these 25 pages? Seems unlikely.
There have been numerous people who have been told that their point is invalid because their past actions don't back up that point. rhyno026 for instance made a perfectly fair and reasonable point that, by losing current ratings for prospects, it eliminates the possibility that someone may look to draft a guy and bring him straight to the majors, or call him up in short order.

The merit of the point was not called into question. There was no discussion as to whether removing current prospect ratings would actually hinder that strategy. There was no discussion as to how valid a strategy it even is in the HBD landscape. There was no discussion about "is it worth keeping current ratings for prospects to allow this strategy if it allows the loophole of letting people 0 out budget and still see potential prospects." There was no critical discussion about the point in any way, shape or form.

The only comment on rhyno026's suggestion was the fact that rhyno026 had no recorded history of actually drafting guys and calling them up in a short amount of time. And because rhyno026 didn't have a demonstrable history of doing so, his point was shot down. Even though it was a perfectly fair and legitimate idea that at least could have used some discussion. An idea that the developers of this game may actually want to hear and consider themselves, an idea that they may be interested in the input of the people who play this game.

Talk about it? Nah, let's just call rhyno026 a hypocrite and move on.

5/8/2015 3:23 PM
When we started playing this game, the "originals", no one knew anything.    Some figured it out quickly, others did not.   I expect the same will happen amongst the 0 ADV guys. 
5/8/2015 3:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 3:33:00 PM (view original):

Would you expect anything but "much whining and crying"?

This was dead on.
5/8/2015 3:26 PM
  • A new, fuzzier projected rating system will be introduced for high school, college and international scouting.*
Many seem to infer that ADV will play a role in this change, but there's nothing to indicate that. There's been little discussion about HS/COL/INT scouting by comparison, but changes there could be much more meaningful. Going 10/0/4 has been feasible even with a high 1st-round pick because you could be fairly certain the top players on your HS board, for example, would develop into players commensurate with your draft position. You might miss the top 2 HS players, or 5 of the top 8, but the guy you pick at #12 would surely develop into a decent major leaguer. With fuzzier projections, even without introducing complete busts (again, nothing in the update notes suggests they are doing that), that #12 pick could be a guy who never makes the majors in a meaningful role. If we have to go 16/0/14 to get a solid 1st-round pick and one good IFA, that's a bigger change than forcing owners who like to deal for prospects to go to 20M in ADV.
5/8/2015 3:27 PM
Although, to be fair, that's not all it's been.   Maybe they're waiting until the updates are actually implemented.
5/8/2015 3:27 PM
Posted by joshkvt on 5/8/2015 3:27:00 PM (view original):
  • A new, fuzzier projected rating system will be introduced for high school, college and international scouting.*
Many seem to infer that ADV will play a role in this change, but there's nothing to indicate that. There's been little discussion about HS/COL/INT scouting by comparison, but changes there could be much more meaningful. Going 10/0/4 has been feasible even with a high 1st-round pick because you could be fairly certain the top players on your HS board, for example, would develop into players commensurate with your draft position. You might miss the top 2 HS players, or 5 of the top 8, but the guy you pick at #12 would surely develop into a decent major leaguer. With fuzzier projections, even without introducing complete busts (again, nothing in the update notes suggests they are doing that), that #12 pick could be a guy who never makes the majors in a meaningful role. If we have to go 16/0/14 to get a solid 1st-round pick and one good IFA, that's a bigger change than forcing owners who like to deal for prospects to go to 20M in ADV.
I semi-addressed it earlier.   Not even sure anyone commented on it.

I said it would be nice if a mid-round player taken was actually the best in the draft class.   Not that the 1-3 would be busts but not always the best.   If an owner who just missed the playoffs got the best guy, it would be a huge incentive to not bother racing to the bottom at the end of the season that happens even in MWR worlds.
5/8/2015 3:31 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 3:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by willsauve on 5/8/2015 3:18:00 PM (view original):
I cant imagine that they will make ADV affect projection for undrafted/unsigned prospects without allowing owners to reset their budgets.. I can totally see how making this change would be good long term as it would definitely make ADV more important.. Too many would be screwed by this change and could bail on teams teams that they have marginal interest in which would increase the already large number of openings.. WIS has to have enough sense to where they can make positive changes without ******* a large number of people off.. 
Again, rational people understand that they're all starting at the same place and will make adjustments on the fly while they get where they want to be.

We're both in Mantle.  I don't care that you have a 6m head start in ADV.   There are 20 others guys at 0.    I'll figure something out.  It's a challenge.
Technically the difference between our draft slots is the biggest factor.. But I'm not worried about myself being upset by this because I'm probably more sensible  and loyal than most people. Even if this change has a negative affect on my current plan I will just readjust and make it work.. Sadly a much higher percent of people will probably bail on their bad siuation and make it another persons/worlds probelm.. Becasue of this I'm guessing owners will get a chance to reset ther budgets.
5/8/2015 3:31 PM
Posted by willsauve on 5/8/2015 3:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 3:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by willsauve on 5/8/2015 3:18:00 PM (view original):
I cant imagine that they will make ADV affect projection for undrafted/unsigned prospects without allowing owners to reset their budgets.. I can totally see how making this change would be good long term as it would definitely make ADV more important.. Too many would be screwed by this change and could bail on teams teams that they have marginal interest in which would increase the already large number of openings.. WIS has to have enough sense to where they can make positive changes without ******* a large number of people off.. 
Again, rational people understand that they're all starting at the same place and will make adjustments on the fly while they get where they want to be.

We're both in Mantle.  I don't care that you have a 6m head start in ADV.   There are 20 others guys at 0.    I'll figure something out.  It's a challenge.
Technically the difference between our draft slots is the biggest factor.. But I'm not worried about myself being upset by this because I'm probably more sensible  and loyal than most people. Even if this change has a negative affect on my current plan I will just readjust and make it work.. Sadly a much higher percent of people will probably bail on their bad siuation and make it another persons/worlds probelm.. Becasue of this I'm guessing owners will get a chance to reset ther budgets.
If anyone bails on a team/world because they can't reset their budget, the world is better off without them.    I don't think it happens in good worlds.  And, if that's the type of owner the other worlds have, that's why they're not good worlds.  
5/8/2015 3:33 PM
Additionally, you have a 6m headstart on 20 other teams.    Some will pick before you.   They'll be flying blinder than you will in the draft.   You might get the best guy at 11.
5/8/2015 3:34 PM
Posted by alleyviper on 5/8/2015 3:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by joshkvt on 5/8/2015 2:59:00 PM (view original):
Is there any idea brought up that's been completely ignored in these 25 pages? Seems unlikely.
There have been numerous people who have been told that their point is invalid because their past actions don't back up that point. rhyno026 for instance made a perfectly fair and reasonable point that, by losing current ratings for prospects, it eliminates the possibility that someone may look to draft a guy and bring him straight to the majors, or call him up in short order.

The merit of the point was not called into question. There was no discussion as to whether removing current prospect ratings would actually hinder that strategy. There was no discussion as to how valid a strategy it even is in the HBD landscape. There was no discussion about "is it worth keeping current ratings for prospects to allow this strategy if it allows the loophole of letting people 0 out budget and still see potential prospects." There was no critical discussion about the point in any way, shape or form.

The only comment on rhyno026's suggestion was the fact that rhyno026 had no recorded history of actually drafting guys and calling them up in a short amount of time. And because rhyno026 didn't have a demonstrable history of doing so, his point was shot down. Even though it was a perfectly fair and legitimate idea that at least could have used some discussion. An idea that the developers of this game may actually want to hear and consider themselves, an idea that they may be interested in the input of the people who play this game.

Talk about it? Nah, let's just call rhyno026 a hypocrite and move on.

His history questions whether that's even a valid strategy, since he didn't use it. Are there owners who draft to fill an immediate ML need? If so it's worth discussing. If not, it isn't. The idea that one owner might try some specific strategy isn't worth debating unless we know whether it's a common strategy.

In this case, assuming you have a decent budget for HS or COL, the projected ratings are going to be almost as useful as the Current Ratings for that hypothetical strategy. If I have 16 in COL and a 22-yo SS has projected defensive ratings of 92-90-89-84 I can make a damned good guess what his current ratings are, certainly close enough to know that he'd be better than my current stopgap with 82-83-74-80. If you're going to be drafting to fill an immediate big league need, your solution is to have 20 in COL.
5/8/2015 3:36 PM
FWIW, not one negative comment has been made in my worlds.  It's largely been ignored.   I think that's because everyone knows we're all starting at square one.  No one is getting a hundred yard lead in a 300 yard race. 
5/8/2015 3:36 PM

"We're gonna remove that stop sign."
"OMG!!!!!  There will be accidents every day!!!"
"Mr.T23, we've monitored that area for 6 months.  No one, including you, has stopped there a single time."
"Oh, nevermind."

5/8/2015 3:40 PM
I haven't seen any negatives in my world chats either. Some are curious, others are positive. And the snippets that merger guy has posted are also overwhelmingly positive.

Some players will bail, but I think things are looking good so far.
5/8/2015 3:43 PM
See, that's exactly the problem. Saying his history questions whether it's even a valid strategy ignores all the other owners who may actually be doing it but don't care to come to the forums, aren't interested in discussing the update, or who don't want to take part in the echo chamber. It's intellectually lazy.

So instead of discounting the idea outright because of who said it, actually discuss the idea and see if there's any merit behind it.

I can certainly cite no less than two examples of guys that I've drafted in no small part because of their current ratings and their proximity to the majors. They weren't called up immediately, no, but I drafted both with intention of calling them up before they were fully developed because I knew they were close enough to contributing to the big league team. And I've certainly fancied the idea of actually keeping my college scouting up and bottoming out my HS scouting with the intention of drafting guys who would contribute sooner than later. It's something that I think could be worthwhile and it would be unfortunate to lose current ratings for draft prospects before I even got a shot to try it out.

So I come to the thread and lo and behold I see someone has raised that exact concern about losing current prospect ratings, but instead of actual discussion of the pros and cons, it's just ignored because of the person who posted it. How is that healthy for discussion, healthy for new ideas, healthy for growth and improvement of this game?

5/8/2015 3:46 PM
The game shouldn't be based on a "once every 10 seasons" occurrance.     Drafted and straight to the bigs probably happens less than that because we want to control players for the full 10-11, fully developed, seasons.   Almost everyone has a better option in AAA than on the BL team but he's there because he's a 21 y/o 2nd year pro who is still developing. 
5/8/2015 3:46 PM
◂ Prev 1...24|25|26|27|28...54 Next ▸
Critical news debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.