Draft a Legacy League I RESULTS Topic

Posted by dcmatcheck on 3/28/2016 8:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dvorr80 on 3/28/2016 8:13:00 PM (view original):
Needs to be 5 starter seasons
Guess I misunderstood your response to Scjwarze's question, then. It was the phrase "use him as you see fit" that threw me ff.
The response to Schwarze's question was the basis of the pick. That response stated "You need 5 qualifying seasons at a single position and must id the position and team. You could then use Smoltz how you see fit". Based on that, Blue qualifies as a wildcard pick because he has 5 seasons with the A's where he qualifies as a starting pitcher. After having been picked, I should be allowed to use any of Blue's seasons, regardless of team or qualifying position.
3/28/2016 9:05 PM
Using him how you see fit says to me you could use him as a starter or a reliever, however you wish, but not that you could use seasons that don't qualify (like his closer seasons, if you drafted John Smoltz SP Braves, as opposed to John Smoltz RP Braves). Based on how we have conducted this draft, those would be two different entities.
3/28/2016 9:16 PM
Posted by CLWECW on 3/28/2016 9:05:00 PM (view original):
Guess I misunderstood your response to Scjwarze's question, then. It was the phrase "use him as you see fit" that threw me ff.
The response to Schwarze's question was the basis of the pick. That response stated "You need 5 qualifying seasons at a single position and must id the position and team. You could then use Smoltz how you see fit". Based on that, Blue qualifies as a wildcard pick because he has 5 seasons with the A's where he qualifies as a starting pitcher. After having been picked, I should be allowed to use any of Blue's seasons, regardless of team or qualifying position.
I apologize for not being more clear. I didn't intend for it to be taken that way.

Having said that, no one protected Blue and as a one-off because it's a pitcher it will be fine. I would have clarified that it was strictly starter seasons or reliever seasons but not both. You can either re-pick or stick with Blue and any 5 of his seasons with the A's.
3/28/2016 9:20 PM
Posted by ozomatli on 3/28/2016 9:16:00 PM (view original):
Using him how you see fit says to me you could use him as a starter or a reliever, however you wish, but not that you could use seasons that don't qualify (like his closer seasons, if you drafted John Smoltz SP Braves, as opposed to John Smoltz RP Braves). Based on how we have conducted this draft, those would be two different entities.
This was my intention but I should have been more clear when it came to the pitchers.
3/28/2016 9:21 PM
Posted by dvorr80 on 3/28/2016 9:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by CLWECW on 3/28/2016 9:05:00 PM (view original):
I apologize for not being more clear. I didn't intend for it to be taken that way.

Having said that, no one protected Blue and as a one-off because it's a pitcher it will be fine. I would have clarified that it was strictly starter seasons or reliever seasons but not both. You can either re-pick or stick with Blue and any 5 of his seasons with the A's.
As the guy who could be losing Blue I would definitely feel a little put off if he's able to use non-qualifying seasons to make the pick work, since those aren't seasons that I would have had access to (namely 1970 and 1969) and did not protect him for that reason. Not my call of course, just putting my opinion out there.
3/28/2016 9:59 PM (edited)
Posted by dvorr80 on 3/18/2016 2:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by schwarze on 3/18/2016 2:14:00 PM (view original):
Is position irrelevant with wildcard players?

Question #1:
Let's assume I choose John Smoltz, Braves as my wildcard player. Do I get to use both his SP and RP seasons?

Question #2:
Both the Red Sox SP and Red Sox OF's have been selected. If somebody selects Babe Ruth, Red Sox as a wildcard, does he get to use both SP and OF versions of Babe Ruth? And if so, do both people (Red Sox SP and Red Sox OF lose the rights to Ruth)?
Great questions.

1) You need 5 qualifying seasons at a single position and must id the position and team. You could then use Smoltz how you see fit.

2) Same as above except only the team/position you id when drafting Ruth would lose his rights.
When looking at the second response in the same set of questions/responses, it would seem the response implies that an owner making a wildcard pick of Ruth would be allowed to use both his SP and OF seasons. Based on that I would think I could use any of Blue's seasons. I have to say I am quite confused, and quite possibly screwed. There are certainly other players I would have taken that would be of much greater value if I knew I was not able to use all Blue's seasons.

That said, I will abide whatever the commissioner's final ruling is. What I will need to know is, which seasons specifically will I be allowed to use. In other words, it would be of great help to know if I can use 1970, or say 1981. Which specific seasons would I be able to use?
3/28/2016 9:44 PM
In '81 he was on the Giants. Vida Blue SP A's is different than Vida Blue SP Giants which is different than Vida Blue RP A's (which doesn't exist because he had less than 5 seasons with less than 150 IP while on the A's).

did I get that right?
3/28/2016 10:01 PM
Posted by ozomatli on 3/28/2016 10:01:00 PM (view original):
In '81 he was on the Giants. Vida Blue SP A's is different than Vida Blue SP Giants which is different than Vida Blue RP A's (which doesn't exist because he had less than 5 seasons with less than 150 IP while on the A's).

did I get that right?
He selected Vida Blue A's which means he will only have access to seasons with the A's. As I stated earlier, I would have preferred to be asked first before this selection was made because I would have simply clarified he would only have access to 5 starter seasons with the A's.

In fairness to other league members, my final decision is CLWECW may use 5 seasons of Vida Blue with the A's over 150 IP or he may re-pick and choose another player. I am sorry you misinterpreted the answer I gave as an example on John Smoltz. I did make clear but that you must identify the position i.e. SP or RP, player, and team when selecting your Wildcard.
3/29/2016 8:12 AM (edited)
Tiger Parks
3/29/2016 8:53 AM
Posted by dvorr80 on 3/29/2016 8:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ozomatli on 3/28/2016 10:01:00 PM (view original):

did I get that right?
He selected Vida Blue A's which means he will only have access to seasons with the A's. As I stated earlier, I would have preferred to be asked first before this selection was made because I would have simply clarified he would only have access to 5 starter seasons with the A's.

In fairness to other league members, my final decision is CLWECW may use 5 seasons of Vida Blue with the A's over 150 IP or he may re-pick and choose another player. I am sorry you misinterpreted the answer I gave as an example on John Smoltz. I did make clear but that you must identify the position i.e. SP or RP, player, and team when selecting your Wildcard.
I asked the question regarding Smoltz for this specific reason. The answer given was that any of the Smoltz seasons (SP or RP) could be used. Wouldn't that same logic apply to Blue?
3/29/2016 9:11 AM
You need 5 qualifying seasons at a single position. For purposes of our league, a SP is a single position as is a RP. That line about using how you see fit was referring to choosing whatever eligible seasons you see fit. I should have clarified better in that answer.
3/29/2016 9:20 AM
I selected Frank Smith as my wildcard. Are you saying that I am not allowed to use his 137-IP White Sox season?
3/29/2016 9:30 AM
Posted by schwarze on 3/29/2016 9:32:00 AM (view original):
I selected Frank Smith as my wildcard. Are you saying that I am not allowed to use his 137-IP White Sox season?
That is what I meant but it appears there are now two misunderstandings. The problem I am running into with simply allowing you and CLWECW to use those reliever seasons is it impacts teams who drafted position players/positions with the correct understanding of the rule. That is on me, not you, for not explaining the rule better. It also takes away Frank Smith's RP season and Vida Blue's RP season from the teams that drafted A's and White Sox RP positions.
3/29/2016 9:42 AM
I understand the rule now. When I build my teams, particularly the pitching staff, I do understand to set my IPs limit to 150-999 for my Giants SP. And for my Dodgers RPs, IP = 0 to 149.9.

The tricky thing about wildcard pitchers is there are no multi-position pitchers, like there are for hitters. Either a pitcher is designated as a SP (150+ IP) or a RP (<150 IP) and that's it. So, while it's possible for more than one owner to have the same Hank Aaron season, it's not possible for more than one owner to have the same Vida Blue or Frank Smith season.
3/29/2016 10:26 AM
By the way, this is going to be a b*tch for you to verify rosters. You will most likely need to link the rosters to the database.
3/29/2016 10:27 AM
◂ Prev 1...24|25|26|27 Next ▸
Draft a Legacy League I RESULTS Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.