Sportsmanship myopia Topic

"So you would be in agreement then, there would be nothing wrong if everyone played their scrubs against all your divisional opponents all season and lost every game to them, then in turn they play their regular roster against you? Interesting! I would bet if that happened in every league you are in, you would change your mind."

This is a strawman argument.  It would be difficult, if not completely impossible, to imagine a situation in which it would be in the interest of every other team in the league to go 0-36 against my divisional opponents.

But from a purely theoretical perspective, I would have no problem with this.  I go into every season figuring that every other manager in the league is going to do what's best for their team.  95+% of the time, this means putting your best team on the field and playing to win.  A small percentage of the time, it may mean resting a bunch of players at once, or throwing a mop-up for 255 pitches, or even strategically playing to win (or lose) against a specific opponent in order to optimize post-season chances.  And I have no problem with any of that.

5/1/2011 10:35 AM
And there goes game 3 down the drain... so yeah, it really worked...
5/1/2011 10:51 AM
bheid, contrarian answered that question better than I could. I would only add that if that scenario actually happened, I would question whether the other owners had consumed mind altering bread mold or something.
5/1/2011 12:04 PM
Understood. Maybe I need to change my thinking and only care about myself.....
5/1/2011 12:35 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
good riddance  was  a crying thread
5/2/2011 1:05 AM
Teams that find themselves in "must win" situations at the end of the season generally are there because they didn't win earlier in the season.

5/2/2011 2:25 AM
Posted by truemen on 5/1/2011 10:44:00 PM (view original):
You should read Ayn Rands "Atlas Shrugged". It is about individualism and your first duty in life is to yourself.
Interestingly, that is also the overriding message of the satanic bible as written by Anton LaVey.
5/2/2011 3:51 AM
In the Kolara Galaxy, the Clekish Fre Populiesie (Chronicles of Earth Encounter)  record "Atlas Shrugged" as a prime example of high comedy and fine satire, and an example of the earthling's ability to make something out of nothing.
5/2/2011 9:00 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Sportsmanship myopia Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.