Dynamic Pricing Feedback Topic

I would say do it once a month and 10% is a good amount (or higher if you really want to remove cookie teams).

Or another idea would be reflect the price percentage (the 10%) to be based on the league salary. 10% would work in OL leagues, but 10% in a 255M league means nothing because you can get any player you want at 255M regardless of price. Also as others posted, Most Ruths and 9m+ players are never drafted in OL leagues so some other formula would have to be used in say 140m leagues.

11/17/2015 1:50 PM (edited)
Any word on the update in 2012 that never occurred
11/17/2015 2:03 PM
I'm been suggesting this for years, so I'm very happy to hear this. THANKS!

My one concern is...every two weeks?  That seems awfully frequent, and would certainly cause headaches for owners in theme leagues with salary caps, which are pretty slow to fill these days.  How about every 3-6 months instead?  
11/17/2015 2:24 PM
Leave 08 Joss alone! J/K looking forward to the new pricing!
11/17/2015 3:34 PM
i think the consensus seems to be that 2 weeks is to often IMO 60 days would be about right because that would be a little longer than 1 full SIM season, i also think a sliding scale for percentage would work well in so much as the 08 joss,and the other highly used  cookies of the OL's would be closer to or at the 10% where guys like the 31 webb or the 06 cano would be less based on their total usage maybe closer to 5%. the sliding scale would also work well if you differentiated between the salary caps say for instance a new scale for every 10mil increase, this would than also raise the cost of the maddux and martinez use in the 100-140mil leagues because they would have their own use scale to base increases on

11/17/2015 3:35 PM
You are opening the proverbial "can of worms". There are many other improvements that could better occupy staff time.
11/17/2015 3:42 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
2 weeks does seem too frequent.  I like the sound of 2 months.  About the length of a typical SLB season as someone else pointed out.  Provides a larger sample for the new pricing.
11/17/2015 4:12 PM
If I recall correctly, this used to be called "the Stockholm effect," before Stockholm Syndrome took over the use of the city's name.

There, in a workplace, lighting was made brighter and it improved employee production. Then they got used to it. Then lighting was made dimmer and it improved employee production again.

Improvements in SLB have a history of generating business, especially when they are positive, and even when they go sideways.

11/17/2015 4:15 PM
Posted by skunk206 on 11/17/2015 4:12:00 PM (view original):
2 weeks does seem too frequent.  I like the sound of 2 months.  About the length of a typical SLB season as someone else pointed out.  Provides a larger sample for the new pricing.
OTOH, if something is going to be instilled (not changes that distort the simulation, that is) then do it to the hilt! Why not one week? Two seems to work....
11/17/2015 4:17 PM
ADDIE JOSS
11/17/2015 4:25 PM
So, I assume this is the problem we're trying to solve:

====
It's hard to attract new players. Mostly because those who do stumble on the site immediately enter an OL and get their heads handed to them by cookie-cutter veterans. They don't have fun, so they leave.
====

Does that sound about right? If so, this may help a little. The hope is that this levels the playing field a little bit more. Also, maybe the current pricing for guys like Ruth, Mantle, Mays, Aaron, etc is too high, but cutting their prices will get them into more OLs, which also makes the game somewhat more interesting for new players. Maybe existing ones too, I'm not sure. 

Of course, after a while, you still have the DFS problem... the veteran owners figure out how to manipulate dynamic prices and return to scalping the new owners. And now you've added another layer of complexity that benefits who? The established owners. Some of them, anyway. 

======
On the other hand, if the problem you're trying to solve is "our existing customer base is spending less money than they used to because the game is stale" - then sure this is a great short-term fix, but I'm not sure that's the long term answer. 
11/17/2015 4:27 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 11/17/2015 12:00:00 PM (view original):
I like schwarze's idea of having separate databases for pricing (maybe scale back updates to every 2 months instead of every 2 weeks).  Let commissioners lock in for a particular update and allow the themes a maximum amount of time to fill (maybe 2 updates or 4 months) such that a maximum of 3 difference salaries would need to be kept at any given time.
Long ago now, I suggested that the solution to the deadball pitchers' skew, bad-gloves fielding skew (and whatever others) would be to have two versions of players, one for progressives and one adapted realistically to modern baseball (assuming good pitchers learned the new techniques and some new pitches, and good fielders used the modern gloves, etc. That would even have to be enforced as to how many innings a pitcher could pitch. That would be doable, by placing the old distribution curves per season (or group of similarly played out deadball seasons) upon the curves of the outcomes of modern baseball [edit: and fitting the former to the latter] That's one of the classic uses of standard deviation.

I'd suggest making salaries very dynamic then, for Open Leagues and more thoroughly static for progressives. As for non progressive theme leagues, I think the Commish for any given league should be able to choose which statistical model type of the two, plus which salary type of their two, to use.

11/18/2015 7:40 AM (edited)
"Of course, after a while, you still have the DFS problem... the veteran owners figure out how to manipulate dynamic prices and return to scalping the new owners. And now you've added another layer of complexity that benefits who? The established owners. Some of them, anyway."

Would it, though? The only advantage I see right now is knowing what stats (one "stat" in particular) to build your searches around. Allowing fresh batches of player-seasons to be under and overvalued every few weeks/months would bring a sense of constant variety to what has become a very static game, and create the need for veteran users to adapt and know how to build all kinds of teams in order to win. I think we'd see a lot more instances where established owners have more mediocre teams than they do now.
11/17/2015 4:38 PM
Posted by ArlenWilliam on 11/17/2015 4:15:00 PM (view original):
If I recall correctly, this used to be called "the Stockholm effect," before Stockholm Syndrome took over the use of the city's name.

There, in a workplace, lighting was made brighter and it improved employee production. Then they got used to it. Then lighting was made dimmer and it improved employee production again.

Improvements in SLB have a history of generating business, especially when they are positive, and even when they go sideways.

You are thinking of "Hawthorne Effect" Arlen, from the GE Hawthorne plant near Chicago back in the 1920s-30s. 

The experiments did go as you say, though. 

Stockholm Syndrome is when kidnapped people and hostages start to identify with their kidnappers. That is now called "American Democracy". 
11/17/2015 4:52 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...17 Next ▸
Dynamic Pricing Feedback Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.