Guide to the New HD 3.0 release Topic

Lolz gamerz. Anyway, thanks for putting this great resource together, chapel (and whoever else has time to contribute). It will be very valuable to anyone sticking around, as well as new players.
8/11/2016 3:07 PM
chapel and paul, great work. Thanks.

chapel, there is one part that might be worth clarifying a bit: "If you offer playing time and a start at the beginning of recruiting to a player you know you want, then every HV and AP and CV after that point gets a multiplier, so you want to offer these early." I believe those promises are not a "multiplier" any different from any other preference. The benefit to early promises of playing time or starts is that it improves the Preference match on recruits who have that particular preference.

Again, great work.
8/11/2016 3:07 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 8/11/2016 3:07:00 PM (view original):

chapel, there is one part that might be worth clarifying a bit: "If you offer playing time and a start at the beginning of recruiting to a player you know you want, then every HV and AP and CV after that point gets a multiplier, so you want to offer these early." I believe those promises are not a "multiplier" any different from any other preference. The benefit to early promises of playing time or starts is that it improves the Preference match on recruits who have that particular preference.

Again, great work.
Thanks Spud. Actually, when a preference is matched it does serve as a multiplier. And , unless I am wrong, even if a player is "neutral" on wants to play, Seble said that even neutral preferences can have a multiplier. But - I'd like others to chime in on this because I want it to be accurate.
8/11/2016 7:07 PM
I think "multiplier" is a misleading word. Is 1.0003 a multiplier? Well, yes, but I don't think that is what comes to mind for most people when they see "multiplier." Instead of " then every HV and AP and CV after that point gets a multiplier," you might consider "then every AP, HV and CV after that point are further enhanced by the additional Preference match." And it should be noted that this only applies to recruits who care about the playing time preference.

Edited based on updated information: the boost applies more to recruits who have a playing time preference, but also to a lesser degree to all other recruits as well.
9/19/2016 11:06 PM (edited)
Posted by chapelhillne on 8/11/2016 2:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/11/2016 11:27:00 AM (view original):
Posted by chapelhillne on 8/11/2016 9:08:00 AM (view original):
I have added some strategies that I have picked up on during my Beta experience, to help those who were not in Beta get some ideas of how they can effectively scout and recruit in the new system. It will also be of great assistance to those who may have just dabbled in the first season or two of Beta, because much has changed since then.

I will continue to add to the strategies, because I really just scratched the surface, but if anyone would like to add anything to this, I will keep checking and add your comments to the original post.

I think that many of the people who have said they are going to quit the game may not have tried Beta at all, or tried it in the early phases. Because there were so many negative comments, there may be preconceived notions, that I am hoping to dispel by this post.

As I was typing all of this, it made me realize just how cool some of the new features are, and I hope that if you are someone who has decided to quit, without giving this try for a couple of seasons, you will reconsider. If you love the game itself, I think you will be glad that you stayed, once you experience it for a while.
chapel, thanks for doing this thread! i've only skimmed and need to go back, but it looks like a fantastic resource for folks.

i am curious though, what are the 2-3 coolest features in your opinion?
Sorry gil - missed this one.

For one, I like the camps and the different ways to scout players.

I love the added time that I have to scout, so I don't have to do it in 36 hours. I now have 11 days.

One thing I like maybe most, is that poaching is not possible in this game. You can still move in late on a recruit, but gone are the days where I would have a guy consider me from 8 PM on the first day until 5 PM on signing day, only to have an A+ team come in with 200 home visits in the last cycle. Here, you can tell ahead of time that you will have competition.

I also like that almost every recruit has multiple teams after them. Coaches are not afraid to compete for recruits.

I like that if you have 3 openings, you still have just about as good a shot at a recruit as if you have 6 openings.

I love the fact that you can scout internationals without having sent your scout to Russia to look at a PG and have him come back 10 times telling you the guy sucks at rebounding but never mentioning ball handling. I like the fact that if you recruit at 201 miles, it's not 25% more expensive than if it is 199 miles.

I like Attention points a lot - if you screw up, you can still find good players with just AP.

There are still some tweaks I'd like to see, but I really do like the update a lot.
It'll be interesting to see if coaches are still unafraid to battle for a recruit when it's for a team that really "matters". Don't forget, please, that the beta coaches knew that they could swing for the fences because they weren't committed to those teams and losing recruiting battles didn't matter. We may very well see more battles, but I still say wait for a few "real" seasons to see how that plays out as well. Coaches tend to be a lot more timid with their recruiting styles when it comes down to a team that they actually had to PAY for.
8/11/2016 8:23 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 8/11/2016 3:07:00 PM (view original):

Again, great work.
Thanks Spud, appreciate it.
8/11/2016 8:59 PM
Posted by dcy0827 on 8/11/2016 8:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by chapelhillne on 8/11/2016 2:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/11/2016 11:27:00 AM (view original):
Posted by chapelhillne on 8/11/2016 9:08:00 AM (view original):
I have added some strategies that I have picked up on during my Beta experience, to help those who were not in Beta get some ideas of how they can effectively scout and recruit in the new system. It will also be of great assistance to those who may have just dabbled in the first season or two of Beta, because much has changed since then.

I will continue to add to the strategies, because I really just scratched the surface, but if anyone would like to add anything to this, I will keep checking and add your comments to the original post.

I think that many of the people who have said they are going to quit the game may not have tried Beta at all, or tried it in the early phases. Because there were so many negative comments, there may be preconceived notions, that I am hoping to dispel by this post.

As I was typing all of this, it made me realize just how cool some of the new features are, and I hope that if you are someone who has decided to quit, without giving this try for a couple of seasons, you will reconsider. If you love the game itself, I think you will be glad that you stayed, once you experience it for a while.
chapel, thanks for doing this thread! i've only skimmed and need to go back, but it looks like a fantastic resource for folks.

i am curious though, what are the 2-3 coolest features in your opinion?
Sorry gil - missed this one.

For one, I like the camps and the different ways to scout players.

I love the added time that I have to scout, so I don't have to do it in 36 hours. I now have 11 days.

One thing I like maybe most, is that poaching is not possible in this game. You can still move in late on a recruit, but gone are the days where I would have a guy consider me from 8 PM on the first day until 5 PM on signing day, only to have an A+ team come in with 200 home visits in the last cycle. Here, you can tell ahead of time that you will have competition.

I also like that almost every recruit has multiple teams after them. Coaches are not afraid to compete for recruits.

I like that if you have 3 openings, you still have just about as good a shot at a recruit as if you have 6 openings.

I love the fact that you can scout internationals without having sent your scout to Russia to look at a PG and have him come back 10 times telling you the guy sucks at rebounding but never mentioning ball handling. I like the fact that if you recruit at 201 miles, it's not 25% more expensive than if it is 199 miles.

I like Attention points a lot - if you screw up, you can still find good players with just AP.

There are still some tweaks I'd like to see, but I really do like the update a lot.
It'll be interesting to see if coaches are still unafraid to battle for a recruit when it's for a team that really "matters". Don't forget, please, that the beta coaches knew that they could swing for the fences because they weren't committed to those teams and losing recruiting battles didn't matter. We may very well see more battles, but I still say wait for a few "real" seasons to see how that plays out as well. Coaches tend to be a lot more timid with their recruiting styles when it comes down to a team that they actually had to PAY for.
I think they will because you can recruit multiple players, since there is a 20 HV limit. You will not blow your budget on one player and have to keep putting money into them. I know if there is a player that matches up well with my preferences, I would not be afraid to invest. Here's an example of what I am talking about.

Let's say there is a player that is 160 miles away. I have 4 openings.

My recruiting budget is $17,000
Cost for 20 HVs at $248 per HV = $4960
Cost for Campus Visit = $480
Maximum total I can spend on recruit = $5440

I still have $11,560 left for other recruiting.

I could go all in on 3 players like that, and still have $700 left.

Even if I totally strike out, I can use attention points alone on a couple of guys and there is no cost, and then I take 2 walk ons.

Also, because there is a slight bit of randomness in signing, it would be worth a shot.

I could also use the $4960 and then use most of my attention points on that guy, hoping that the other coach is spreading his points out on several recruits. This could tip the battle in my favor if I disguise what I am doing. By disguising, I may not put all 20 HVs in until the last cycle, but all the while I have been amassing a large number of AP in the recruit. This way other teams do not think I am a threat, even if I am at a lower prestige.

8/11/2016 10:21 PM (edited)
Just got the answer about promised playing time and starts, if "Wants to Play" is not a preference but is Neutral. Have added it to the original thread, but here it is if anyone wants to know.

Also, if there is anything else that does not make sense, please let me know, and I will try to clarify it, either by wording it better or asking on the Beta forum. I would like this to be accurate and easy to understand.

Also, if anyone has any other strategy tips they wish to share for any level, please feel free and I will add them.
8/12/2016 11:21 AM
Just added this - This is a feature I really like - not a huge feature, but just one more nice touch:

Redshirting:
One nice feature in the new game is that you will know immediately if a redshirt is accepted. So, if you are setting your depth chart and decide to try and redshirt someone, you don't have to wait until the next cycle to finish setting the chart.
8/12/2016 6:00 PM
I am getting ready to go out for a while, but when I get back, I am going to try something, and would encourage those of you who are going to stay to do the same. I am going to go back through the Wooden list of coaches from the past - you can see it on the coach records tab. Then I am going to site mail them, hoping it will go to their email as well. I'm going to tell them how things are changing and give them a link to this thread. maybe if they read all of the changes, some long time coaches who left in the past will come back and offset some of the ones who have said they will leave. We've all probably developed friendships with coaches who have left the game, so if we focus on those, we might actually be able to bring world populations up. I guess we could do it for all worlds, since they will all start rolling over now. I am going to do Wooden first since it is getting ready to roll over, and it looks like Rupp is coming very soon.
8/13/2016 2:42 PM
Have there been, or will there soon be any changes to the hiring process at DI?
8/13/2016 2:53 PM
No, unfortunately. I would have liked to have seen that too. But there are not so many advantages to being in a full conference or an A+ baseline school as there were in the past.
8/13/2016 2:58 PM
I just got back and site mailed about 40-50 past coaches who no longer have teams. I had developed a pretty good list of the winningest coaches - people like aejones, atblack, etc. Hopefully they get sitemail in their email box. It would be great to see some of them come back. That would add a whole lot of excitement to the release to see them return. I hope HD sends out some free season offers to people like that.
8/13/2016 3:40 PM
Wow thanks for the work I'm not sure I have the energy to read it all & learn all of this!

How difficult will this be for the people like me who didn't do the beta & already feel a million miles behind?

8/13/2016 4:15 PM
It is really easy. Most of the stuff I have posted is not critical knowledge. I just wanted to put every possible change and difference between this and the current game. But there is not much of a learning curve at all. I would be very happy to help you if you want. I just sent you a sitemail.
8/13/2016 8:03 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...14 Next ▸
Guide to the New HD 3.0 release Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.