Switching offense/defense Topic

Um ok.
12/28/2017 4:02 PM
Right back at ya'.
12/28/2017 4:05 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/28/2017 3:59:00 PM (view original):
Could be. But zone guys are likely to be slower, less athletic. That's not the recruiting plan when playing zone but, if it's more forgiving in that aspect, the natural reaction is to give a little in those categories to get a better passer/shooter/rebounder.
I just don’t know what this has to do with IQ.
12/28/2017 4:16 PM
If IQ is a modifier of some sort, which is what I thought you were implying and what most people think, IQ would be more important in less athletic/slower players.
12/28/2017 4:18 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/28/2017 4:18:00 PM (view original):
If IQ is a modifier of some sort, which is what I thought you were implying and what most people think, IQ would be more important in less athletic/slower players.
Or less important.

Oversimplifying, obviously, but if IQ works like this:

IQ rate (1.075) * ATH rate (40) = 43

vs

IQ 1.075 * ATH 91 = 97

The IQ for the higher ATH player had over twice the impact.

I don’t think it actually works like that though. I’m guessing certain attributes group together for certain events, for example a player successfully steals the ball x% of the time based on his ATH/SPD/DEF/IQ compared to his opponent’s BH/SPD etc. Then the game dice rolls the event and if the number comes up within x, you get a steal.
12/28/2017 4:27 PM
That's assuming the offensive player has the same IQ as the D guy. And you're using one rating.

Truth is, I don't know. I doubt you do either. But a guy with a thousand seasons, and it looks like he only uses zone, told me IQ is more important in zone than the others. That's good enough for me.
12/28/2017 4:53 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/28/2017 4:53:00 PM (view original):
That's assuming the offensive player has the same IQ as the D guy. And you're using one rating.

Truth is, I don't know. I doubt you do either. But a guy with a thousand seasons, and it looks like he only uses zone, told me IQ is more important in zone than the others. That's good enough for me.
It was an oversimplified example.

You’re right, we don’t know.

Not sure how a guy who only uses zone knows either, since he has nothing to compare it to.
12/28/2017 5:27 PM
He's had a lot of seasons to form a better opinion than either of us.

I've played around 190 seasons of HBD. I've had a lot of opportunity to experiment. He has a lot more than 190 season in HD.
12/28/2017 5:30 PM
It’s really hard to change opinions about something because someone says someone told me so.

IMe, I haven't seen any evidence from iq impacting fg% any more than the other defenses but honestly I don't know how I would even notice that. What I have noticed is that if you have one low iq guy they pick up a lot of fouls. My post players in the 3-2 tend to pick up a lot of fouls as well, especially if they have low iqs compared to the other players. I have one guy on my team who has something like 25% of my teams total fouls.
12/29/2017 11:01 AM
First, I'm not sure why you'd care to change my opinion.

Second, it's simple enough to track if you desired to do it. FG% against you, average FG% for opponent, IQ at time of game. Run out a bunch of D+ guys for a few seasons. Then run out a bunch of B or better for a few seasons. Certainly wouldn't be perfect as no team is the same from season to season but you could find a trend.
12/29/2017 11:19 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/29/2017 11:19:00 AM (view original):

Second, it's simple enough to track if you desired to do it. FG% against you, average FG% for opponent, IQ at time of game. Run out a bunch of D+ guys for a few seasons. Then run out a bunch of B or better for a few seasons. Certainly wouldn't be perfect as no team is the same from season to season but you could find a trend.
Well, it really wouldn’t be easy to track. One, because the actual player skills will greatly impact the results and two, because you can’t just flip a switch and go from D+ to B or better.
12/29/2017 11:39 AM

The person in question has played a thousand seasons, but only uses zone? Therefore, how would he/she know the value of IQ of the other defenses? I'm actually interested in knowing from this person what criteria they used to determine this. I'm not saying they're wrong. I'm just interested in how they came about the answer that IQ are most important in a zone.
12/29/2017 11:49 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/29/2017 11:39:00 AM (view original):

Well, it really wouldn’t be easy to track. One, because the actual player skills will greatly impact the results and two, because you can’t just flip a switch and go from D+ to B or better.
Sigh. If you have hundreds upon hundreds of seasons, it can be tracked. No one is flipping switches.
12/29/2017 11:53 AM
Posted by sanchezjr2 on 12/29/2017 11:50:00 AM (view original):

The person in question has played a thousand seasons, but only uses zone? Therefore, how would he/she know the value of IQ of the other defenses? I'm actually interested in knowing from this person what criteria they used to determine this. I'm not saying they're wrong. I'm just interested in how they came about the answer that IQ are most important in a zone.
As best I can tell he uses zone. I didn't dig into his history. Maybe he'll read this and send you a sitemail.
12/29/2017 11:54 AM

I am not trying to change your opinion. What I meant to imply (and my bad for not being clear enough) is it doesn't really add much to the discussion when your evidence to support a claim that goes against the generally accepted theory is "someone smarter than you told me so".

I am also interested in what bad advise you got about the zone that your benefactor told you to ignore. I am being serious, I am always interested in peoples opinions on how the game works.
12/29/2017 12:08 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Switching offense/defense Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.