Ghost in the Latrine: Season 3 (WAITLIST) Topic

Jim Hibbs, a player in my hometown, had 3 AB and no hits with the Angels in 1967. I'm going to do a practice draft and may enter a second team.
9/29/2017 11:56 AM
One guy I'd like to throw out there as a possible candidate is Spencer Pumpelly. (What a great name!?!) Pumpelly threw one inning of one game for the 1925 American League Champs, the Washington Senators. That's a Senators team that boasts a pitching staff of Walter Johnson, Stan Coveleski and Dutch Ruether. Make Pumpelly your team's closer, and you could find him leading the league in saves. It's just a suggestion. Sign up today.
9/30/2017 8:25 PM
With a pitching staff that boasts John Tudor, Jose DeLeon, Danny Cox and Dan Quisenberry, the 1988 Cardinals are often used in twist leagues. The '88 Cards had a relief pitcher named Scott Arnold who accumulated 6 2/3 innings in his career. Make Arnold your ghost, and you can add him to an already stellar bunch of WiS pitchers. Sign up today.
10/2/2017 7:42 PM
I'm not going to give Jim Hibbs a team. It just doesn't look interesting enough to invest time and money in it. But I'll take a look at Scott Arnold ...
10/2/2017 10:25 PM
League has been set up and the League # has been sent out to everyone who has signed up. Hopefully we get these remaining slots filled soon.

10/3/2017 1:48 PM
Akeel Morris 2015 Mets
10/3/2017 2:25 PM
Posted by mars2010 on 10/2/2017 7:42:00 PM (view original):
With a pitching staff that boasts John Tudor, Jose DeLeon, Danny Cox and Dan Quisenberry, the 1988 Cardinals are often used in twist leagues. The '88 Cards had a relief pitcher named Scott Arnold who accumulated 6 2/3 innings in his career. Make Arnold your ghost, and you can add him to an already stellar bunch of WiS pitchers. Sign up today.
I tried to draft a 1988 Cardinals squad for the great Gibson Alba, but I found that Tudor '85 and Quisenberry's best just cost too much under an 80M cap to put together a promising roster. There's a big drop from Tudor's '85 season to his next best year. Cox and Magrane are not very strong, and you wind up with a roster of switch-hitting speedsters with a couple of sluggers -- a workable formula on turf in the 1980s but a hard mix to make work in WIS. IMHO.
10/4/2017 12:20 PM
Another option that might be worthy of consideration is LHP Lafayette Currence and the 1975 Brewers. You can build a pretty strong lineup around Hank Aaron, Robin Yount, Darrell Porter, Sixto Lezcano and Gorman Thomas. There are plenty of solid pitchers on the roster as well. With a "way above average" AAA player that becomes Lafayette Currence, you should have a pitching staff strong enough to keep the game close for you slugger filled lineup. Sign up today.
10/4/2017 6:41 PM
The 1979 Pirates were known for their use of "We Are Family" as the team's rally cry. But that team had three members of the family that were perpetually stuck at the kids table. 1B Doe Boyland, OF Alberto Lois and PR/IF Gary Hargis all qualify as potential "ghosts" in this league. Talk about flexibility! You could choose any one of them as your ghost, waiting to decide which one you're going to go with until after you see your draw of Way Above Average AAA players.
10/6/2017 10:21 AM
Bump ...
10/7/2017 10:09 AM
1989 Expos

Marty Pevey
10/7/2017 7:30 PM
If two-team owners dropped second teams, we'd be at 16 and could run with that format. Could you run a poll to see if owners are willing to do a 16?
10/8/2017 4:22 AM
Posted by doubletruck on 10/8/2017 4:22:00 AM (view original):
If two-team owners dropped second teams, we'd be at 16 and could run with that format. Could you run a poll to see if owners are willing to do a 16?
I've already had a couple of owners sitemail me to tell me that they don't want to switch to a 16 team format. I think we'll just remain patient and persistent, trying to get the 24-team league filled as planned. Based on other leagues I've commished recently, I really don't think it will be that much longer.
10/8/2017 4:47 PM
Still looking for 5 owners to join a very fun theme league.
10/9/2017 11:55 AM
I'll try a second team in AL with Angels of 2012 and pitcher Brad Mills.
10/9/2017 10:50 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Ghost in the Latrine: Season 3 (WAITLIST) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.