Where Should New Players Start? Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 12/4/2017 9:03:00 AM (view original):
I still don't get the objection to starting at D1.

1. I wanna play against humans!!! OK, if you're in D1, new humans can't be there til 2019
2. You gotta learn the game!!!!! OK, I keep hearing that D1 is a different beast. How are you learning this exotic, new game in D2/D3?
3. Earn your stripes!!! OK, that's fair. But it doesn't make sense now. World populations don't support three levels
Here you guys go. Gives them the team they want along with starting at D1. Don't want anyone getting to D1 and not getting the Big 6 school they covet. I am in D1 in several worlds but my favorite Big 6 school is taken in each. I just built programs elsewhere. However if you are only playing the game to get to D1 and have a certain Big 6 school then this is the idea for you.

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=505720&threadID=11315447#l_11315447

We will call this new college coaching world Isiah after Isiah Thomas and his legendary college coaching career.
12/5/2017 12:56 AM (edited)
No one commented on that for a reason.
12/5/2017 7:35 AM
I think they could start D2, it is still a learning curve. But low D1, they will quit before even understanding the game!
12/5/2017 7:59 AM
Starting at D2 doesn't solve this argument. But i do agree with zorzii about that part. Because if you're a person that wants to move up immediately, and that's the goal, the one season at D3 that must be played is a wasted 12.95 (or 4.95). D3 would still be available for those who want to be there.
12/5/2017 8:08 AM
I thought there was no way to understand D1 unless you're in D1. I've been told that I shouldn't comment on D1 because I'm not there so it was impossible for me to know what I'm talking about. So playing D2/D3 isn't teaching me a damn thing about D1.

Is the true or not? You can't have it both ways.
12/5/2017 8:47 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/5/2017 8:47:00 AM (view original):
I thought there was no way to understand D1 unless you're in D1. I've been told that I shouldn't comment on D1 because I'm not there so it was impossible for me to know what I'm talking about. So playing D2/D3 isn't teaching me a damn thing about D1.

While you're point is well taken, you're being stubborn in this.

Recruiting can be different but all the other mechanics of the game are the same (practice planning, setting lineup, offensive distribution, etc etc). There's quite a bit to learn there.
12/5/2017 8:53 AM

I've coached D1 a couple of times, if you meant me. But all i was saying D2 is a reasonable starting point for new guys. I wasn't discussing anything D1 related.
12/5/2017 9:00 AM
Posted by Benis on 12/5/2017 8:53:00 AM (view original):

Recruiting can be different but all the other mechanics of the game are the same (practice planning, setting lineup, offensive distribution, etc etc). There's quite a bit to learn there.
OK, that's fair.

But, if I'm at Iona, how is learning practice, line-ups, distribution, etc(in addition to recruiting) affecting Duke, USC, Michigan, etc, etc? Iona is in the Metro-Atlantic North with 0 humans(South has 2). There is no human competition so, as the sole human in the North, there is the outside chance of a 1 seed in the CT and, with a stroke of luck, possibly a shot at the NT in a season or 2.
12/5/2017 9:10 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/5/2017 9:10:00 AM (view original):

OK, that's fair.

But, if I'm at Iona, how is learning practice, line-ups, distribution, etc(in addition to recruiting) affecting Duke, USC, Michigan, etc, etc? Iona is in the Metro-Atlantic North with 0 humans(South has 2). There is no human competition so, as the sole human in the North, there is the outside chance of a 1 seed in the CT and, with a stroke of luck, possibly a shot at the NT in a season or 2.
It doesn't hurt anyone else. I think people are just saying that it will may be a more difficult starting point than at D2 or D3. Its much harder to build up prestige in D1.
12/5/2017 9:12 AM
Posted by Benis on 12/5/2017 9:12:00 AM (view original):

OK, that's fair.

It doesn't hurt anyone else. I think people are just saying that it will may be a more difficult starting point than at D2 or D3. Its much harder to build up prestige in D1.
Assuming starting from nothing, totally new to HD, do you really believe starting in a practically empty conference is more difficult at D1 than D2/D3? You don't know what's good, what's bad.

But, to your "separate level recruiting" point, a new user at D1 will recruit D1 players whereas you claim that same user has no idea that he should be trying to pull D1 recruits down to D2/D3. I believe your boy zorzi has made that point as well.
12/5/2017 9:15 AM
Posted by grimacedance on 12/4/2017 9:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/4/2017 7:43:00 PM (view original):
Here's something to consider. The main reason I joined Rupp was to go to D1. I'm looking at a 3 seed and all I really want is the season to end so I can see what jobs I can get.

Yay earning your stripes!
I'm in the same boat with my D2 team. I cherry-picked them to boost my resume for D1. I barely remember the name of the school and cannot name a single player. All I want is to move to D1 as quickly as I can and start building up a team.
To further this point, I just realized one of my recruits needs 22 points to become the all-time leading scorer. Watching "your guys" set school records should be a fun part of this game. All I wanted to do was qualify for D1. Alfred Olson's parents are very disappointed that I didn't know their kid was about to set a record after I said I'd treat him like a son during recruiting.
12/5/2017 9:21 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/5/2017 9:15:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 12/5/2017 9:12:00 AM (view original):

OK, that's fair.

Assuming starting from nothing, totally new to HD, do you really believe starting in a practically empty conference is more difficult at D1 than D2/D3? You don't know what's good, what's bad.

But, to your "separate level recruiting" point, a new user at D1 will recruit D1 players whereas you claim that same user has no idea that he should be trying to pull D1 recruits down to D2/D3. I believe your boy zorzi has made that point as well.
Yeah fair point about D2/D3 being more confusing and ambigious. It is.
12/5/2017 9:22 AM
But on the other side, if you're starting off at D1, you're MUCH more likely to run into other teams and need to battle (unlike D3 where there are SO many generated recruits).

So the likelihood that they lose badly in recruiting right off the bat and get frustrated, is probably high. Even if at D3 they're recruiting bad players, they're probably feeling good about themselves because they didn't lose any battles to other people.

Or maybe not. I don't know what every nerd who plays this game likes or doesn't like.
12/5/2017 9:27 AM
To me, it's a common sense thing. If I'm at Iona, I know I'm not getting the same quality player as Duke/UNC. So, if Duke is on a player, I'd move on. However, if Lander-D2 and WCSU-D3 are on a guy, I'm wondering if I aimed too low. At Iona, I'd feel like W Carolina, The Citadel and Cornell would be my "rivals". That would change if I were higher on the food chain, like a VaTech. I'd feel like I'd have a shot if another ACC team was on the same guy. Which is why I'm advocating starting at a crap D1.
12/5/2017 9:31 AM
Honestly Mike, I think your point is good but I am more concerned about incentives, rewards, your guy at Iona will need four seasons to get a nt bid if he does everything right, If he makes mistakes like we all did, it's two classes, so 7 to 8, which means he gets knock down first nt game. Back to the drawing board... 3 -4 more seasons to get a team that will push to win in the nt, so basically it's around 10-11 seasons without a nt bid. At least, until he does enough at d2, he gets rewards... it's a lot easier there unless your non-con is too tough
12/5/2017 10:37 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...9 Next ▸
Where Should New Players Start? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.