World Rankings 2018 Topic

Posted by mchales_army on 6/1/2018 9:49:00 AM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 5/31/2018 7:51:00 AM (view original):
As far as "wait time", how do you differentiate between the worlds that are quick to hit the "go public" button and the worlds who are willing to wait it out as a private world?
I do not differentiate.

Does the wait time ranking favor worlds that have had shorter World Series during the measurement period?

I am a fan of the ratings, btw. Thx for the effort.
10/15/2018 12:47 PM
The difference in a four-game World Series and a seven-gamer is 32 hours, so I am 99.99% sure that is no factor at all.
10/15/2018 1:18 PM
Actually, season length is a factor. Of the worlds about to roll: Two had four-game world series and will finish in 88 days (FYC and McCabe), two had five game series and will finish in 89 days (7Jerry7 and Jersey League), and one had a five game series (Fitzworld) and another had a six gamer (23 Mattingly) that both finished in 91 days. That's three days difference even without a seven-game series. The range of that impact is .3 to 1.2 in the total score before being multiplied for their other seasons in the 360 measuring period. That could mean the difference of a few rankings positions. There are probably ways to control for this, although that could be more work than it's worth. It's possible that unbalanced worlds may have a disproportionate amount of shorter series but I have no data to back that up.
10/16/2018 3:01 PM (edited)
Bump, with a question, how often is this updated?
2/15/2019 9:37 AM
Posted by opie100 on 10/16/2018 3:01:00 PM (view original):
Actually, season length is a factor. Of the worlds about to roll: Two had four-game world series and will finish in 88 days (FYC and McCabe), two had five game series and will finish in 89 days (7Jerry7 and Jersey League), and one had a five game series (Fitzworld) and another had a six gamer (23 Mattingly) that both finished in 91 days. That's three days difference even without a seven-game series. The range of that impact is .3 to 1.2 in the total score before being multiplied for their other seasons in the 360 measuring period. That could mean the difference of a few rankings positions. There are probably ways to control for this, although that could be more work than it's worth. It's possible that unbalanced worlds may have a disproportionate amount of shorter series but I have no data to back that up.
"Finished earlier" but did they roll sooner as well?
2/15/2019 2:57 PM
I assume that would impact the rollover date, unless the system elongates the rolling process in shorter postseasons.
2/15/2019 4:13 PM
Plumpy Rules!!!!!!1111111 has got to be climbing as we've had I believe 2 of the last 3 seasons with no turnover and maybe 2 teams left the other year? Also likely the most active blog.
2/15/2019 6:22 PM
There have also been some rebranded world names since last update.
2/16/2019 2:52 PM
Posted by Vitamin_C on 2/15/2019 2:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by opie100 on 10/16/2018 3:01:00 PM (view original):
"Finished earlier" but did they roll sooner as well?
A shorter world series shortens the season. I just had 2 worlds I'm in have matching schedules. In one, the WS was a sweep, in the other it went 7 games. The sweep one rolled a day earlier.
3/17/2019 11:56 AM
I assume it was mchales_army that put this World Ranking together in May of 2018. I assume that he isn't doing it anymore. Have the World Rankings always been put together by participants as opposed to Admin members?
7/14/2019 10:13 AM
I nominate Tlowster to handle the updated world rankings.
7/14/2019 2:51 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 7/14/2019 2:51:00 PM (view original):
I nominate Tlowster to handle the updated world rankings.
Oh man! The courage it takes to start an online petition. Lol!
7/14/2019 9:42 PM
Sometimes you have to have the bravery to take that step to change the world. Step 1 is nominating someone else to do something that you want to see done, but don't care enough to actually do it yourself.
7/14/2019 10:19 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 7/14/2019 10:19:00 PM (view original):
Sometimes you have to have the bravery to take that step to change the world. Step 1 is nominating someone else to do something that you want to see done, but don't care enough to actually do it yourself.
I agree with most of this. Especially the part of wanting it to get done, but not wanting to do it or knowing where to start to do it myself.
7/15/2019 3:53 PM
The list is so old Id consider it practically worthless.
8/13/2019 7:22 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
World Rankings 2018 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.