All of Italy is on Lockdown now Topic

they need to give it a nicer name like the miller lite virus.
3/10/2020 1:59 PM
Posted by dino27 on 3/10/2020 1:59:00 PM (view original):
they need to give it a nicer name like the miller lite virus.
Easy on Miller Lite, one of my favorite beers!

How about the Busch Lite virus?
3/10/2020 7:36 PM
better then the bush lite virus
3/10/2020 9:28 PM
Ziegenbock Disease has a better ring to it
3/11/2020 12:18 AM
Posted by dino27 on 3/10/2020 1:36:00 PM (view original):
you cant catch heart disease or cancer.
what if everyone ignored advice and freely associated everywhere.
what do you think would happen with what we already know.

I think you're missing the point.

I think if everyone just keeps going about their lives... it still doesn't break into the top 3 causes of death.

It doesn't matter if you can't "catch" heart disease or cancer. You can still do things to prevent them, or prevent them from being fatal. There is always a competition for resources. The mistake that people habitually fall into making is treating each issue in a vacuum rather than looking at the bigger picture. Right now covid19 feels scary, so everyone wants to throw massive resources into it. That's probably correct. Like I said yesterday, it does look like there is a big opportunity for some intelligent public health initiatives and healthcare spending in the short term to save large numbers of lives. But that doesn't mean that anything you can do to prevent the spread of covid19 is a clear win. If you go too far on spending, those resources could be better used somewhere else. If you go too far on restricting activity, the collateral damage may not be worth it.

One very easy to describe, yet difficult to quantify, example of the limits of useful prevention is related to the weak but well-known correlation between economic stability and overall mortality rates. When the stock and job markets decline, particularly when they decline rapidly, life expectancy tends to temporarily decrease. In developed nations, this effect seems to be exacerbated when paired with social or political changes, so the fact that we're in an election year doesn't help. A number of models exist in the literature to predict mortality outcomes from economic downturns. It's not an exact science, but properly trained people (not me) could, in theory, make a realistic order-of-magnitude prediction of how many more people will die due to a decline in economic vigor. Which raises a question - at what point does restricting economic activity in the name of reducing the spread of a virus become a losing game? At what point are more lives lost as a result of the economic penalty than are saved as a result of limiting the disease? I don't have any idea what the answer to this question looks like. What bothers me is that nobody seems to be trying to answer it, or even have it on their radar that such a question might exist. We're so tunnel visioned on "let's contain this virus" that we risk missing the bigger picture.
3/11/2020 11:43 AM
All lite beer sucks balls.

If I see someone with a Mich Ultra or an Amstel Lite in their hand I wanna go over and slap it out of their ***** hands.
3/11/2020 11:48 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/11/2020 11:43:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dino27 on 3/10/2020 1:36:00 PM (view original):
you cant catch heart disease or cancer.
what if everyone ignored advice and freely associated everywhere.
what do you think would happen with what we already know.

I think you're missing the point.

I think if everyone just keeps going about their lives... it still doesn't break into the top 3 causes of death.

It doesn't matter if you can't "catch" heart disease or cancer. You can still do things to prevent them, or prevent them from being fatal. There is always a competition for resources. The mistake that people habitually fall into making is treating each issue in a vacuum rather than looking at the bigger picture. Right now covid19 feels scary, so everyone wants to throw massive resources into it. That's probably correct. Like I said yesterday, it does look like there is a big opportunity for some intelligent public health initiatives and healthcare spending in the short term to save large numbers of lives. But that doesn't mean that anything you can do to prevent the spread of covid19 is a clear win. If you go too far on spending, those resources could be better used somewhere else. If you go too far on restricting activity, the collateral damage may not be worth it.

One very easy to describe, yet difficult to quantify, example of the limits of useful prevention is related to the weak but well-known correlation between economic stability and overall mortality rates. When the stock and job markets decline, particularly when they decline rapidly, life expectancy tends to temporarily decrease. In developed nations, this effect seems to be exacerbated when paired with social or political changes, so the fact that we're in an election year doesn't help. A number of models exist in the literature to predict mortality outcomes from economic downturns. It's not an exact science, but properly trained people (not me) could, in theory, make a realistic order-of-magnitude prediction of how many more people will die due to a decline in economic vigor. Which raises a question - at what point does restricting economic activity in the name of reducing the spread of a virus become a losing game? At what point are more lives lost as a result of the economic penalty than are saved as a result of limiting the disease? I don't have any idea what the answer to this question looks like. What bothers me is that nobody seems to be trying to answer it, or even have it on their radar that such a question might exist. We're so tunnel visioned on "let's contain this virus" that we risk missing the bigger picture.
because of the ease and rate of spreading and the mortality rate for those 60 and older if everyone went about their business normally 15 - 25 million people in the united states would die...the mortality rate in italy is about 9%.
3/11/2020 12:09 PM
Posted by bronxcheer on 3/11/2020 11:48:00 AM (view original):
All lite beer sucks balls.

If I see someone with a Mich Ultra or an Amstel Lite in their hand I wanna go over and slap it out of their ***** hands.
Lmao. You're always on the lookout for making new friends I take it.
3/11/2020 12:14 PM
This corona panic just caused the Houston Rodeo to shut down. This has gone too far!
3/11/2020 3:13 PM
the flu you die one in a thousand

this new thing you die one in a hundred

ten times deadlier but sooooooooo many worse diagnoses

bad part is, half of everyone worldwide gets it eventually

oh to be young with a strong back and shovel
3/12/2020 10:15 AM
you have a wicked sense of humor.
3/12/2020 10:19 AM
3/12/2020 10:51 AM
Washington State is about to go on lockdown, at least western WA...
3/12/2020 7:31 PM
Kentucky schools are shutdown statewide.
3/12/2020 7:40 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
All of Italy is on Lockdown now Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.