HD Recruiting "Exploit" Investigation/Findings Topic

1. I would have preferred a statue but I'll take the name change. That was hilarious, nice touch.

2. I appreciate the investigation and full summary. Well done.

3. As someone who was impacted the most by this (over 600 times, good Lord), I'll offer my 2 cents on punishment..

Let's fry em boys!!!

I kid I kid. Honestly I think punishment has been served. I don't think permaban is needed here. Their names have been dragged through the mud enough by now so maybe just reset recent recruits or something and move on. I'd actually really like to see all these coaches implicated to keep on playing and be given the opportunity to show that they didn't need the exploit to win. Especially Cimmy at Hawaii, probably the hardest place to win a D1 title!

Selfishly, I actually don't want swenske banned. Some coach that is actually good at this game might take his place and I'd rather just bash his brains in every season instead (on the fake basketball hardwood of course )
11/2/2022 4:30 PM
And to think, I looked up to these guys as some of the best coaches playing the game, while all the while they were cheating. This community has been sullied. Will the integrity of the game ever return?
11/2/2022 5:41 PM
One last thing, any way that you guys are interested in removing that pinned thread at the top? I think it was a promo that’s expired. It doesn’t hurt anything. But it’s wasted space.

i know, we’re needy!!
11/2/2022 8:00 PM
I'm not in Smith anymore (stepped away partly out of absolute frustrations each year), so i cant see old NT brackets...

I'm really curious about my Miami FL (seasons 114, 115, and 116) and my Kentucky teams (like 118, 119, 123 or so)-- whether they were eliminated by these guys.

If someone here has absolutely nothing to do, i'd appreciate it.

As a bonus, i had a couple of solid Marquette teams in seasons 102 and 108, Sweet-16 rosters.

Thanks.
11/2/2022 8:40 PM
I was saddened to see robinhood's name on the list. During my long and painful Naismith tenure at Hawaii, he always game me the #1 non-con game every season (at home,) which helped my SOS since Ole Miss was winning National Titles and was usually a Top 5 program. The few times the Rainbow Warriors actually won the game, my SOS would be post-season set.

When I recently re-joined Naismith at Bowling Green, he didn't hesitate to start the non-con schedule, again, with my totally outmatched squad.

Damn...
11/2/2022 9:14 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 11/2/2022 8:41:00 PM (view original):
I'm not in Smith anymore (stepped away partly out of absolute frustrations each year), so i cant see old NT brackets...

I'm really curious about my Miami FL (seasons 114, 115, and 116) and my Kentucky teams (like 118, 119, 123 or so)-- whether they were eliminated by these guys.

As a bonus, i had a couple of solid Marquette teams in seasons 102 and 108, Sweet-16 rosters.

Thanks.
I have absolutely nothing to do, so here you go...

Miami was bounced in 116 by robinhood's Dayton team. That looks like your only time being knocked out by one of the offenders.

And in a really weird bit of real-life symmetry, your #2 seeded Kentucky team was upset in the first round by #15-seeded Saint Peter's in 120.
11/2/2022 9:14 PM
Wow just wow. Smith has basically been ran by the A10 for awhile now and I just thought they were some of the best coaches on the game. I mean go look and see the runs those teams have had. Pretty frustrating on a lot of accounts. Not sure how many times I’ve been knocked out by then but it’s been at least a couple times and add in the fact how much this has affected rosters everywhere. It’s a trickle down to the whole world.

So what happens now in Smith? We’re in the middle of recruiting currently. Everything just rides from here on out? What happens to the guys they were all on?
11/2/2022 9:36 PM
Posted by ja_tbfl on 11/2/2022 9:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by npb7768 on 11/2/2022 8:41:00 PM (view original):

Thanks.
I have absolutely nothing to do, so here you go...

Miami was bounced in 116 by robinhood's Dayton team. That looks like your only time being knocked out by one of the offenders.

And in a really weird bit of real-life symmetry, your #2 seeded Kentucky team was upset in the first round by #15-seeded Saint Peter's in 120.
Thanks so much Ja_Tbfl !!!

Ok, 1 bouncing by a juiced roster isn't as bad as it could have been thankfully. I just sucked on my own.

Lol, yes on Saint Peter's, haha!! That frustrated me. There was a human coaching for the Peacocks the previous year, and he left a super roster. I definitely thought of that this past March.

Thanks again, this is very much appreciated!!
11/2/2022 10:18 PM (edited)
Posted by Basketts on 11/2/2022 2:59:00 PM (view original):
I just wanted to re-post this for Robinhood as he isn't able to on the forums. But this was his response on the discord channel:

hey everyone, this is robinhood. I’ve never been to discord – didn’t even really know what it was – before this. but, my brother told me that he was doing something called an Ask Me Anything. again, didn’t know what that even was until now. but, I do appreciate this opportunity to be able to say something. I hope I don’t ramble, but this is just an off-the-cuff kind of stream of conscious, so I probably will. you don’t owe me anything, so ignore me if you’d like

first of all, I’m sorry. not “sorry because I got caught,” but sorry because I have broken the trust of a community of which I have been a part for almost 20 years. when the admin post came out today and I saw the numbers, I was pretty embarrassed. I honestly had no idea that we were the only ones who knew about this (other than swenske, whom we’ve never met and have absolutely no idea who he is). and, knowing that now, I see how this was a huge advantage and one that was unfair. I get the outrage. if I were reading this about someone else, I’d probably be ****** too. I’m not excusing anything nor am I claiming to be a victim. I take full accountability for what I did and will accept whatever punishment is deemed necessary. that said I hope you believe me when I say that, given what I knew at the time, I didn’t consider it blatant cheating, in any way. I’m not trying to excuse anything or plead ignorance. I knew it helped and was probably more than intended, but, to be honest, I thought of it as a part of the game that required using open, permissible actions, so I did it. It’s not unlike knowing that all internationals accept a redshirt (I had no idea about this and wish I had, but I don’t consider knowing that to be cheating). I’m not trying to diminish it, I’m really not. I own what I did and am willing to face whatever penalty is deemed just. I just don’t want people to think that we were sitting back here, rubbing our hands together and saying “oooh, we’ve got a way to cheat the system, let’s do it!” anyway, bottom line about this is that I just wanted to apologize to the community for breaking that trust. it doesn’t matter what I thought when I did it or why I did what I did, what matters is that the community of which I have been a part for 18 years now legitimately questions my integrity. so, for that and anything that I may have unfairly robbed anyone of, I’m very sorry.

also, I’d like to clear up a couple of things, if you don’t mind. I hope you see me as forthright and honest about all of this because that’s really how I am

1). I understand and totally appreciate the point of “why didn’t you share this with the community?” that’s completely fair, and we probably should have. but, for lack of a better answer, we just didn’t even think about it. we weren’t trying to keep some big secret. we talked about it openly amongst us (just as we discuss the phillies world series or the next eagles game) and just didn’t think to make it public on the forums or send a follow-up to CS. we probably should have, but we didn’t. I wish we had done that or had a better answer as to why we didn’t, but believe me it wasn’t some nefarious conspiracy here. It was just a couple dudes who don’t really post much on the forums

2). I have absolutely no idea who swenske is, where he’s from, or what he was doing (other than what has been put out in these posts), so I can’t speak for him. but, yes, cimmy, doogan, and I all know each other. cimmy is my brother and doogan is our cousin. it was doogan who discovered Hoops Dynasty back in 2005 (while I was out of the country serving in the Peace Corps) and when I got back to the states, he told cimmy and I that we would love this game. he was right. we did. so, yes, we all know each other and have never once tried to hide that. but, we were not in any collusion and live in different states. do we avoid battling each other sometimes, sure, but I also avoid battling a lot of really good coaches because they’re good. do we, subconsciously, avoid battling each other more than someone we might not know? I don’t know…probably? but, I’m not sure how to fix that except to say “no friends or family can ever play together.” so, please understand that we were not in collusion other than the fact that we know each other, we’re a tight-knit family, and we loved WIS, so we talked about it a lot

3). I tried this tactic or whatever you want to call it in D2 once and it completely backfired (didn’t sign a single guy I wanted), so I never used it again in D2. believe what you will, but that is the truth. one of the things that hits me the hardest about this whole thing is the community I built in the GLIAC in Allen and, especially, the Heartland in Crum. those were my two favorite teams, and that was because of a bunch of people I’ve never met, didn’t even know their real names, but still considered friends (which is weird for me, a guy who isn’t a very online kind of guy). so, if any of them are able to see this, please know that I respect you all, never got any unfair leg up in D2, and am sorry that I have tainted our great conferences. I will probably miss those Heartland guys more than I miss the game itself. I have also built great relationships in the SEC in Naismith and will miss all those guys (nams, getiguy, sne – also a heartland guy, etc) too, but they might not be as quick to forgive me seeing as I did use this tactic at Ole Miss for the past couple of years, and that’s fine, I own that. either way, I will miss the guys that I respect and competed against for years and years

4). I’d like to say I don’t care about my legacy on some random sports simulation site, but I’m human, so I do a little bit. again, this will likely fall on deaf ears (and that’s fine), but please know that cimmy, doogan, and I were highly successful championship-level coaches long before this thing started. and, as I’ve said, I never used it in D2, so anything I’ve accomplished there was done without any unfair advantage. again, this is probably shouting into the wind here, which is fine, but it makes me feel better to say it

5). I do think CS seriously dropped the ball here in multiple ways throughout the process, but I don’t want to make a big deal about it because I don’t want to deflect from my own accountability or seem like I am trying to make excuses. but I really was under the impression that they knew about it and decided not to fix it. was that a subconcious version of some willful ignorance on our part? ya, probably. I fully admit that. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think that the benefit was probably a lot more than would have been intended, but we honestly thought that we had appropriately reported it to those that need to know. in retrospect, you all are probably right in saying that we should have brought it up again, but we really were under the impression that we had immediately exposed what we thought was potentially a loophole and nothing was done. and, we were not explicitly ignoring some directive to re-report it. we thought we had and then went on our way. is that okay? no, probably not, in retrospect. but, we never explicitly decided that we had “gotten away with something” and never actively chose not to re-report it. again, I’m not at all saying that we did enough and I am not blaming CS for our actions here. I own what I did and I’m sorry.

I am glad that WIS has such a strong and engaged community. and I respect those of you with well thought-out opinions on either side. that says to me that the site will sustain itself for years to come, which is a good thing

okay, I think that’s it. I like to think I’m an accountable person, so I will answer any questions or take any comments when I get a chance. even if it’ll make you feel better to call me whatever you want to call me and have me hear it. that’s fine too, I’m sure I deserve it. I just want to thank you for reading this with an open mind

ps…I have no ability to speak for myself on the site, so if someone were to repost this to a forum, I wouldn’t hate it. if not, no worries
I cheated, I just didn't think it was a big cheat. We still talked about other stuff and didn't go around thumping our chest about cheating, we just did it. Don't know why we didn't tell WIS that their program wasn't right, I guess we just didn't think about telling WIS about this problem, mainly because we gained an advantage and if we told them, we would lose that. This can't tarnish our records becasue we were good Coaches even before we cheated. Lastly, I'd like to blame WIS for allowing us to cheat, even though we are adults and knew better.

That's how I read it. They cheated, PERIOD.......kick em all off.

I've been at this game a long time, I haven't won Jack, but I enjoy playing and I don't cheat and anyone who cheats on a game for fun and entertainment...show them the door. Everyone playing this game understands "sportsmanship" or "gamesmanship" and if they choose to set those aside, they need to quit playing and go work on themselves.....no amount of word salad makes this better. I'm not saying they are bad people I'm just saying those are the kind of people I don't want to play with.

Thanks to WIS for the transparency here, much appreciated!
11/2/2022 10:25 PM
This really explains a lot about how I couldn't compete with Dayton while at Cincinnati in Smith. Good riddance, hope the door hits you on the way out.
11/3/2022 3:48 AM
Thank you WIS for showing the community you have our backs, it is much appreciated and won't be forgotten in similar situations like these. I will for sure admit on my end that while my viewpoints on cheating and really everything I said still hold completely true to me, the urgency of my words was created by my view of the past CS and how they would've handed it. I really appreciate your transparency and communication throughout here again, thank you.
11/3/2022 5:48 AM
In any situation like this, I personally believe it's best to get as much positivity out of it as possible. The community has come together recently in a way that is incredible despite the situation and I know a lot of you might have never downloaded it, but I very much encourage joining the HD discord if you haven't already. The community is great there as well, everyone is very helpful and friendly plus the knowledge gained is tremendous. https://discord.gg/hxgqSc7d

I'm personally always willing to help anyone and if you are in particular not recruiting as well as you'd like at D2 and D3, I can help out for sure on that front.
11/3/2022 6:07 AM
While PG Sir Benis is a nice touch, if WIS wanted to honor the guy in a way that would be a little more lasting, they could add Benis to the list of surnames for recruit generation.

Every time a new player comes around with that name, the whole HD community will know why.
11/3/2022 9:39 AM
****POSTED FINAL UPDATE ON MAIN POST
11/3/2022 9:54 AM
Personally, I think its b.s to ban someone for something that is programmed in the game. Program the game correctly. They are obviously smarter and have more time than I do. Not to mention the fact they asked about it.
11/3/2022 10:38 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...18 Next ▸
HD Recruiting "Exploit" Investigation/Findings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.