2017 playoff eliminator Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 12/9/2017 9:43:00 AM (view original):
Posted by edsortails on 12/8/2017 11:25:00 PM (view original):
strikeout isn't trying to educate, he's trying to make sure we all know that he is a major college insider that has a perspective beyond what most here can possibly understand...
But he does have a point. Utah can't just call USF, say "Hey, let's play on 9/22 next season" and it happens. Some people on here seem to believe that's how it works.
No one on here believes that is how it works.
12/9/2017 10:34 AM
Well, someone keeps saying "If they'd just replaced Weber St with a low level P5 school.....", or something like that, as if a low level P5 school would enjoy losing to Utah at home.
12/9/2017 11:41 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/9/2017 11:41:00 AM (view original):
Well, someone keeps saying "If they'd just replaced Weber St with a low level P5 school.....", or something like that, as if a low level P5 school would enjoy losing to Utah at home.
That doesn't mean I think they could call a team up and schedule the game next year but a team like Utah or Boise that was good for years absolutely could have planned ahead and scheduled the games, they just never bothered to. Boise even acknowledged they could have scheduled one off games, they just wanted a return game.
12/9/2017 4:57 PM
It's like sex. You have to find a willing partner before you can do it. A good Utah/Boise is not a desirable partner for a Mizzou/Maryland/P5 bottom.

Teams want to schedule the toughest team possible that they know they can beat. Or, for game 11, a cupcake so they can rest their players. They do NOT want to schedule a loss. Either early or late.
12/9/2017 5:42 PM
Posted by edsortails on 12/8/2017 11:25:00 PM (view original):
strikeout isn't trying to educate, he's trying to make sure we all know that he is a major college insider that has a perspective beyond what most here can possibly understand...
That's not it at all, but I appreciate the unfair assumption. As Mike said, people think scheduling is easy. By the way, I do have knowledge and experience that most on here don't. I have been tasked with scheduling non-conference college games. It sucks.

12/9/2017 6:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/9/2017 5:42:00 PM (view original):
It's like sex. You have to find a willing partner before you can do it. A good Utah/Boise is not a desirable partner for a Mizzou/Maryland/P5 bottom.

Teams want to schedule the toughest team possible that they know they can beat. Or, for game 11, a cupcake so they can rest their players. They do NOT want to schedule a loss. Either early or late.
And yet power 5 teams schedule those games every single year. You just can't put demands on them like return games or wait until the last minute.
12/9/2017 6:30 PM
Do they? Wanna list the ones the SEC scheduled?
12/9/2017 6:48 PM
The SEC basically only schedules teams like that. Take Memphis. They have future games with Missouri, Mississippi, and Mississippi St. (Not to mention Purdue and they had UCLA at home this year) They even got Missouri and Mississippi St. to do a return game. Now Memphis isn't quite at the Boise level but they are pretty damn good as minor 5 teams go finishing 10-2 this year and generally having quality seasons the last 5 years or so.
12/9/2017 7:52 PM
Posted by moranis on 12/8/2017 10:29:00 AM (view original):
For the record, in this day and age I actually think Utah would have had a great shot at making the 2008 playoffs if it was a 4 team (again under the current system). Utah had victories over two teams ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS rankings (TCU at 11 and BYU at 16) and opened the season winning at Michigan (though they finished 3-9) and also beat Oregon St. at home. Oregon State finished 7-2 in the Pac 10 (and 9-4 overall after winning its bowl) and was ranked 17th until it lost to Oregon in its last game of the regular season. They always played Utah St. who was down, but did have FCS Weber St. as its final non-con. Had Weber St. been replaced with a good FBS program, even way back then, it might have elevated Utah to a much higher ranking.
Go back and reread your own post. Utah scheduled big name schools back then. You keep saying that they didn't try to schedule a P5 in place of Weber State. How do you know this. You keep saying that you understand how scheduling works, but your posts don't show it.
12/9/2017 8:13 PM
Posted by moranis on 12/9/2017 7:52:00 PM (view original):
The SEC basically only schedules teams like that. Take Memphis. They have future games with Missouri, Mississippi, and Mississippi St. (Not to mention Purdue and they had UCLA at home this year) They even got Missouri and Mississippi St. to do a return game. Now Memphis isn't quite at the Boise level but they are pretty damn good as minor 5 teams go finishing 10-2 this year and generally having quality seasons the last 5 years or so.
You mention the good schools that Memphis has scheduled. What about the fact that, although they played UCLA this season, they also had Southern Illinois and GA State on their schedule? Could it be because schools like Maryland and Rutgers didn't want any part of them?
12/9/2017 8:19 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 12/9/2017 8:19:00 PM (view original):
You mention the good schools that Memphis has scheduled. What about the fact that, although they played UCLA this season, they also had Southern Illinois and GA State on their schedule? Could it be because schools like Maryland and Rutgers didn't want any part of them?
Ah yes because Maryland would never play a team from the American Athletic Conference (I mean that UCF game must not have happened or the one against Temple in each of the next 2 seasons). And I'm sure that isn't Rutgers that is playing a 4 game future series with Temple either.

You make these statements without any sort of support at all. Maybe, just maybe Memphis would rather have the easy victories against teams like Georgia State then actually try to find a bunch of games against power 5 teams. Memphis is fully scheduled through the 2023 season. Are you telling me you don't really think they could add a power 5 game in the 2023 season rather than play at Arkansas State, at North Texas, or at Georgia State (they also host Missouri that season)?
12/10/2017 4:04 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 12/9/2017 8:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 12/8/2017 10:29:00 AM (view original):
For the record, in this day and age I actually think Utah would have had a great shot at making the 2008 playoffs if it was a 4 team (again under the current system). Utah had victories over two teams ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS rankings (TCU at 11 and BYU at 16) and opened the season winning at Michigan (though they finished 3-9) and also beat Oregon St. at home. Oregon State finished 7-2 in the Pac 10 (and 9-4 overall after winning its bowl) and was ranked 17th until it lost to Oregon in its last game of the regular season. They always played Utah St. who was down, but did have FCS Weber St. as its final non-con. Had Weber St. been replaced with a good FBS program, even way back then, it might have elevated Utah to a much higher ranking.
Go back and reread your own post. Utah scheduled big name schools back then. You keep saying that they didn't try to schedule a P5 in place of Weber State. How do you know this. You keep saying that you understand how scheduling works, but your posts don't show it.
How do you know they did? Works both ways. Utah generally played Utah St., two power conference non-cons, and an "easy" game. If you have some sort of evidence that the easy game was because no one would play them, by all means present it, but I'd say the fact that they had no problem scheduling 2 power 5 programs most every year probably means they just didn't want to play a third.
12/10/2017 4:15 PM
You very well may be right. I don't know who they tried or didn't try to schedule. You keep saying "they didn't even try." I'm saying you have no clue about that. My point is scheduling is difficult. You keep making it sound like it's easy.
12/10/2017 4:25 PM
Posted by moranis on 12/10/2017 4:04:00 PM (view original):
Ah yes because Maryland would never play a team from the American Athletic Conference (I mean that UCF game must not have happened or the one against Temple in each of the next 2 seasons). And I'm sure that isn't Rutgers that is playing a 4 game future series with Temple either.

You make these statements without any sort of support at all. Maybe, just maybe Memphis would rather have the easy victories against teams like Georgia State then actually try to find a bunch of games against power 5 teams. Memphis is fully scheduled through the 2023 season. Are you telling me you don't really think they could add a power 5 game in the 2023 season rather than play at Arkansas State, at North Texas, or at Georgia State (they also host Missouri that season)?
Or maybe some mid-level P5 schools aren't interested in playing MEMPHIS.
12/10/2017 5:21 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/10/2017 5:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 12/10/2017 4:04:00 PM (view original):

Or maybe some mid-level P5 schools aren't interested in playing MEMPHIS.
I'm sure some aren't. Some obviously are though and I'm pretty confident tjey could have found a power 5 opponent in 2023 of they wanted to
12/10/2017 6:46 PM
◂ Prev 1...29|30|31|32|33...46 Next ▸
2017 playoff eliminator Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.