Savage XIII Rosters/Commentary Topic

Thanks for posting this. It makes me feel better after my amerklike collapse.
1/19/2024 8:34 AM
This passes the eye test for me I definitely had some really bad divisions. Just ****** me off more when I’m .569 in division and .585 out…

thanks Rob I appreciate all the extra work you put in.
1/19/2024 8:37 AM
Posted by steelers821 on 1/19/2024 8:37:00 AM (view original):
This passes the eye test for me I definitely had some really bad divisions. Just ****** me off more when I’m .569 in division and .585 out…

thanks Rob I appreciate all the extra work you put in.
Yeah no accounting for matchups.
1/19/2024 8:51 AM
Posted by robusk on 1/19/2024 10:26:00 AM (view original):
My method for accounting for SoS is to assign a replacement level score to each division based on that division's performance, so that a division that kicks *** against other divisions gets a higher score than another division, a conference that kicks *** against the other conference gets a higher score than the other conference. I then calculate how tough each division/conference would have had been in summation if I replaced the respective coach in each of their divisions with their replacement level counterpart. I retabulate the overall totals and sum it all up. After I get the totals I break them down into division averages to make them more digestible.

I also calculate the raw opponent winning percentage of each coach's opponents as well as their raw sums of division/conf scores but both of those are made noisy by their own performance. After 13 seasons the current method is by far the best I have seen and in going back to past seasons it has always passed the eye test. This is superior to other methods like replacing them with a .500 team because that creates a lot of distortion in the numbers that I won't go so far into the weeds on.

Almost always the hard majority of the teams are within a standard deviation of the mean. With that said, I will post the findings below. The second column represents how many games under .500 the adjusted average division for each coach is. For this particular season every coach is within a standard deviation of the mean totals except for the top 3 and the bottom 3. I have evolved the model over time so I don't have all the historical numbers handy to post at the moment. As far as I can tell, the easiest draw this time around is the easiest draw in Savage history (I have no record of a team two standard deviations away besides this one). The hardest draw this time around is one of the hardest ever but there are a few draws that have been slightly harder.
I was able to go back and tabulate everything from season 5 onwards. The stats data from season 1-4 is too wonky and it would be too hard to do. (Plus Season 1 was before we had the division tool). There was one draw that was easier. There have been 10 seasons easier that -10 in recorded Savage history.

ashamael S8 -10.0
dBKC S12 -10.1
beloud S5 -10.2
ashamael S5 -10.7
chewy3344 S10 -10.8
dh555 S7 -11.1
beloud S10 -11.3
benhoidal S7 -12.2
dBKC S13 -14.1
24kpyrite S7 -14.3

Hardest seasons ever:
dontburnearl S5 +18.6
ncih S7 +16.4
benhoidal S6 +14.2
longtallbrad S9 +13.6
jethroeg S11 +12.3
jcred5 S10 +11.5
NotoriousJ S8 +10.9
edsortails S12 +10.5
amerk1180 S10 +10.4
dBKC S10 +10.2
amerk1180 S12 +10.1
1/19/2024 1:14 PM (edited)
Well, shoot. Missed out on the five team bonus again, probably my closest run yet. The playoffs have been decent to me recently, just hoping to stay within striking distance.
1/19/2024 2:13 PM
3 teams with a bye, 2 teams out. Enjoy the first round of the playoffs!
1/19/2024 4:31 PM
im not sure if any of my teams will win a playoff series but fuuuuucccckkk yea! 5 team bonus! sweeter than a savage world title imo

1/19/2024 6:52 PM
Posted by dh555 on 1/19/2024 6:52:00 PM (view original):
im not sure if any of my teams will win a playoff series but fuuuuucccckkk yea! 5 team bonus! sweeter than a savage world title imo

funny you mention that as I was thinking about that recently. 5 in is 20 pts as is a championship. I've had both, personally I think a championship is harder and I would be curious how owners might assemble teams differently if a championship were say 40 points. Probably it would result in more variance as more owners putting together super teams, which means more worse teams and more random benefit to those who get those worse teams in their division. Would be interesting though.

Should we also be discussing any evolution of Savage? I know commish has thrown a couple things out in the past. Just wondering if we think this will stay as is, like ODL I suppose, and the variance comes once a year from new players.
1/20/2024 11:16 AM
Posted by jcred5 on 1/20/2024 11:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dh555 on 1/19/2024 6:52:00 PM (view original):

funny you mention that as I was thinking about that recently. 5 in is 20 pts as is a championship. I've had both, personally I think a championship is harder and I would be curious how owners might assemble teams differently if a championship were say 40 points. Probably it would result in more variance as more owners putting together super teams, which means more worse teams and more random benefit to those who get those worse teams in their division. Would be interesting though.

Should we also be discussing any evolution of Savage? I know commish has thrown a couple things out in the past. Just wondering if we think this will stay as is, like ODL I suppose, and the variance comes once a year from new players.
I'd be hesitant to mess with it given how balanced it is in its current state.
1/20/2024 11:41 AM
On one hand, I think messing with it and shaking things up would be good for competitive balance. That might help those of us who haven't "figured it out" have more of a chance. On the other hand, I don't think there's much I'd change.

But I think getting all 5 in is harder than winning a championship. There are five champions every season; there are never five users getting all five teams in. So, let's give more points for getting all 5 in. Even 5 more points. Let's make it retroactive. Oh, hey, I won season 4 now. Cool.

(I'm not serious. Well. I'm serious about it being harder, but yeah, the whole retroactive thing is a joke)
1/20/2024 3:04 PM
I didn't get relegated and I got one team in the playoffs. For the first 60-ish games of the season not only did I handicap myself with my drafting ability, but I further hurt myself with a garbage job of coaching. On the brighter side, I think I really learned something.
1/20/2024 3:43 PM
Wait, is getting 5 teams in the playoffs supposed to be difficult?
1/20/2024 4:11 PM
Posted by edsortails on 1/20/2024 4:11:00 PM (view original):
Well the last three champs all had it and the last two won because of it. I’m not a big fan personally. seems like a yardage bonus in fantasy football. If someone’s 5th team makes the playoffs with 39 wins and another teams 5th best gets 44 and misses out who really was more successful at building 5 competitive teams. I assume that’s the purpose of the 5 team bonus, to make it viable to win a title with a balanced team approach.

imo the bonus should be for 5 teams above .500
1/20/2024 4:30 PM
Posted by steelers821 on 1/20/2024 4:30:00 PM (view original):
Well the last three champs all had it and the last two won because of it. I’m not a big fan personally. seems like a yardage bonus in fantasy football. If someone’s 5th team makes the playoffs with 39 wins and another teams 5th best gets 44 and misses out who really was more successful at building 5 competitive teams. I assume that’s the purpose of the 5 team bonus, to make it viable to win a title with a balanced team approach.

I think your 39 and 44 argument is the same as 5 teams above .500. It's all about luck of the draw with placement.
1/20/2024 4:33 PM
Posted by 24kpyrite on 1/20/2024 4:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by steelers821 on 1/20/2024 4:30:00 PM (view original):

I think your 39 and 44 argument is the same as 5 teams above .500. It's all about luck of the draw with placement.
1/20/2024 7:49 PM
◂ Prev 1...30|31|32|33|34...38 Next ▸
Savage XIII Rosters/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.