MLB: a bag of a**holes. Topic

I really don't think he does watch baseball, despite his claims to the contrary.  He often displays such a fundamental lack of understanding of basic principles and strategy, such as he's done throughout this thread and virtually every other thread he posts in.

Throw in his tendency to double down on his own stupidity when he's backed into a corner.  He's like a bad sitcom.

5/28/2014 3:32 PM
Stop, he obviously watches baseball.  It's impossible to be so deeply interested in the inner workings on how players are successful but never actually watch or follow a game.

5/28/2014 3:36 PM
Do you realize how ROFLMFAO hilarious it is when BL keep posing from the hole he's dug himself in to, that burnsy, who started out half defending/agreeing with BL, gets to the point where he's calling out BL for posting such stupidity?
5/28/2014 3:39 PM
If you took my last post as sarcasm, that was not my intention.  I'm serious.

That said, I'll agree with most of what he says when it comes to baseball, but he sometimes takes it to an extreme that makes him look silly sometimes.  Like if he can't admit to the idea of hitting the ball the other way with a man on 2nd, no outs, in a 1-1 game in the 8th, being a good baseball play.  There's still a human element to baseball that can't be completely covered with the stats we have available to us.
5/28/2014 3:48 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/28/2014 3:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/28/2014 3:10:00 PM (view original):
That's fair. I think we are all generalizing here. In general, I don't think there's much a player should do to change their approach. The exception being very rare situations, like tie game, bottom 9 with a guy on third and one out. Other than very limited situations, I think players should stick with what they do best because they really can't control how/when they make outs. Selling out to make contact for the sake of making contact is foolish.
Hitting the ball the other way isn't a novel or difficult concept for most players.  Man on 2nd, no outs, 1-1 game in the 8th, it's probably a good idea to try to hit the ball that way.  If you disagree, it feeds into the rhetoric of "you don't watch baseball" that tec likes to throw down your throat. I know you understand the importance of moving a runner to 3rd there if it's possible.

EDIT: At worse, moving the runner over.  Again, I'm not arguing that a player should give himself up.  But trying to hit a line drive to right field isn't crazy.  You might not hit a line drive, but that means it could be a ground ball or deep fly ball that way, which would make for a productive out.
I don't think I've ever said that productive outs are bad. Just that strikeouts aren't the villain that tec makes them out to be. Replacing strikeouts with other types of outs doesn't help a team score more runs over the course of the season.
5/28/2014 3:50 PM
You're right, the ground ball to 2nd base does not help over the course of a season.  If the guy who strikes out 150 times instead hit the ball 150 times at the 2nd baseman, it doesn't mean his team will win more games.
5/28/2014 3:58 PM (edited)
It should.      
5/28/2014 4:51 PM
Unless, of course, we assume all of those 150 GB to the 2B are GIDP.

"Oh no.  I've hit into 149 double plays.  I shouldn't even take a bat to the plate."

5/28/2014 4:53 PM
If you hit the ball at the 2nd baseman with a runner on 1st and less than 2 out, yea, it's probably worse than striking out, which has been BLs point. In the long run, there's no overall effect.
5/28/2014 6:12 PM
If you strike out, there's no chance that you'll have a runner on 1st and 3rd with less than 2 out.
5/28/2014 7:07 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/28/2014 7:07:00 PM (view original):
If you strike out, there's no chance that you'll have a runner on 1st and 3rd with less than 2 out.
LOL

There's also no chance if you ground out.
5/28/2014 7:09 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/28/2014 7:07:00 PM (view original):
If you're hitting the ball at the 2nd baseman? Are you talking about the 3%-ish chance of an error?
5/28/2014 7:32 PM

Is 3% higher than 0%?

5/28/2014 7:36 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/28/2014 7:36:00 PM (view original):

Is 3% higher than 0%?

If you reach on an error, are you out?
5/28/2014 7:38 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/28/2014 7:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/28/2014 7:36:00 PM (view original):

Is 3% higher than 0%?

If you reach on an error, are you out?
This is a fair point to this "all OUTS are created equal" argument.

Again, the point is not that there aren't productive outs, because there are, but there are also outs (generally it's 2 outs in one) that are worse than strikeouts. So it basically evens out.
5/28/2014 7:41 PM
◂ Prev 1...31|32|33|34|35...49 Next ▸
MLB: a bag of a**holes. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.