Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Another question, a player is in his 2nd year of arbitration but I sign him LT instead will the deal be cheaper, potentially, than say go through with arbitration and sign him LT during the 3rd year of arbitration?

I generally don't go LT until 3rd year of arbitration, one more year of control. But I'm thinking if he's a lower rated player after the LT is up better chance to resign him to an extension. Thanks.
11/8/2019 10:28 AM
Posted by tlowster on 11/8/2019 8:02:00 AM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 11/8/2019 6:19:00 AM (view original):
What a stud! Yeah, I'd hate to lose him too. What was his vsR before the injury?
Before the injury, he had an R split of 97. The injury moved it down to 96. He is a 33 year old pitcher, so as much as I didn't want to lose him for 60 days, I also didn't want his effectiveness to corrode early. Now I think I could keep him into his age 38 season.
I'll be interested to see what his ratings revert back to after rollover.
11/8/2019 10:41 AM
Posted by tlowster on 11/7/2019 10:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hockey1984 on 11/7/2019 10:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dschang on 11/7/2019 12:07:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tlowster on 11/4/2019 8:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by opie100 on 11/4/2019 8:27:00 AM (view original):
How far apart is the second injury recovery bump from the first one during a 60-day recovery schedule?
If it is a typical mid-season injury, my experience is that the first bump comes within one [in-game] cycle left in his injury recovery. If you put him on IR for sixty days, the second injury recovery bump does not always come, but if it does, it usually comes 3-4 real life days (9-12 in game cycles) before he is eligible to be activated from the DL.

In order to receive the subsequent injury recovery bump from a stay on the 60 day DL, the original injury typically needs to be between 1-30 days. There might be some wiggle room there, but that is what I have read.

If it is a season over season injury, the injury recovery bumps seem to come every 30 cycles (ten real life days).

If it is an injury that occurred near the end of the season, you will have to wait until the 2nd to the last day of the regular season. If there is no bump there, there will be no bump at all.
Does a player need to be transferred from the 15 day DL to 60 day DL to experience the second injury recovery bump?
(If he just remains on the 15 day DL for a longer period of time does he still receive the bump?)
He needs to be on the 60 to get more then one bump.
As an example, I pasted the below guy. He had a 20 day shoulder injury. I really had to make a decision because he is a great pitcher and I didn't want to shut him down for sixty games. However, I was only offered a 7 day or a 60 stint. I was afraid that a seven day stint would not have seen any recovery, so as much as it hurt to lose him, I placed him on the 60 day DL. He just received his second recovery three cycles before he is eligible to be activated from the DL.

Player Profile: Peter Jang - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
My big question would be how did you get him so cheap..
11/8/2019 11:08 AM
When a trade for a no-trade clause player is declined (by the player), is that done at the time of trade agreement between the two parties, or after the approval process?
11/8/2019 12:36 PM
The player will decline, or not, before you can even submit the trade for possible agreement.
11/8/2019 12:49 PM
Thank you.

Question regarding the "With free-agency looming, I'm going to at least see what the market has to offer" status. Do players ever change mid-season from being willing to sign a LT deal to this "you're SOL" status? Or does this status remain the same all season from the very beginning (post arb).
11/8/2019 2:28 PM (edited)
Posted by ramonshaw on 11/8/2019 11:08:00 AM (view original):
How far apart is the second injury recovery bump from the first one during a 60-day recovery schedule?
If it is a typical mid-season injury, my experience is that the first bump comes within one [in-game] cycle left in his injury recovery. If you put him on IR for sixty days, the second injury recovery bump does not always come, but if it does, it usually comes 3-4 real life days (9-12 in game cycles) before he is eligible to be activated from the DL.

In order to receive the subsequent injury recovery bump from a stay on the 60 day DL, the original injury typically needs to be between 1-30 days. There might be some wiggle room there, but that is what I have read.

If it is a season over season injury, the injury recovery bumps seem to come every 30 cycles (ten real life days).

If it is an injury that occurred near the end of the season, you will have to wait until the 2nd to the last day of the regular season. If there is no bump there, there will be no bump at all.
Does a player need to be transferred from the 15 day DL to 60 day DL to experience the second injury recovery bump?
(If he just remains on the 15 day DL for a longer period of time does he still receive the bump?)
As an example, I pasted the below guy. He had a 20 day shoulder injury. I really had to make a decision because he is a great pitcher and I didn't want to shut him down for sixty games. However, I was only offered a 7 day or a 60 stint. I was afraid that a seven day stint would not have seen any recovery, so as much as it hurt to lose him, I placed him on the 60 day DL. He just received his second recovery three cycles before he is eligible to be activated from the DL.

I would bet he paid the guy a big bonus when he signed him and gave him less per year. I don't think bonuses show up on the contact tab.

Player Profile: Philip Lewis - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

You can see his salary is 15mil but the contract tab only has 5mil for the season.
11/8/2019 3:46 PM
Posted by pray4pro on 11/8/2019 3:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ramonshaw on 11/8/2019 11:08:00 AM (view original):

I would bet he paid the guy a big bonus when he signed him and gave him less per year. I don't think bonuses show up on the contact tab.

Player Profile: Philip Lewis - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

You can see his salary is 15mil but the contract tab only has 5mil for the season.
Yep. That is exactly right. I paid him a max signing bonus a few seasons back when I had less prospect money budgeted.
11/8/2019 4:40 PM
Posted by opie100 on 11/8/2019 2:28:00 PM (view original):
Thank you.

Question regarding the "With free-agency looming, I'm going to at least see what the market has to offer" status. Do players ever change mid-season from being willing to sign a LT deal to this "you're SOL" status? Or does this status remain the same all season from the very beginning (post arb).
From pre-budget finalization to the first day of re-signing, I have seen players change their tune regarding their re-signability. However, the few times i have seen this, it is the other way around -- the player went from "willing to re-sign" to "testing free agency no matter what". I have never come across a situation like you mentioned above where a player, during pre-budget finalization, said he wants to test free agency then changes his mind and becomes eligible to re-sign.
11/8/2019 4:48 PM
Thank you.

Also, I have never seen a player change his mind mid season. But, once i check once, I may check again one more time after the season, but that's it. I don't check frequently throughout the season.
11/8/2019 4:49 PM
Thank you.

1) As tlowster hints, all information given prior to the finalization of budgets is garbage.
2) After that, I've never seen a change-- but I believe it can occur if the player's overall rating changes. Although that might only occur after rollover-- that is, player says "with free agency looming I'm at least going to see what the market has to offer," suffers a major injury, and the following season, with a lowered OVR, now is willing to re-sign.
11/8/2019 5:01 PM
Posted by ramonshaw on 11/8/2019 10:30:00 AM (view original):
Another question, a player is in his 2nd year of arbitration but I sign him LT instead will the deal be cheaper, potentially, than say go through with arbitration and sign him LT during the 3rd year of arbitration?

I generally don't go LT until 3rd year of arbitration, one more year of control. But I'm thinking if he's a lower rated player after the LT is up better chance to resign him to an extension. Thanks.
The deal will be cheaper, but you are generally giving up a year of control for no reason.

As a general rule, I do not sign a player long term until he is in arb3 either. There is no reason to waste a year of control.

I assume you are talking about a great player like 82+ rated overall that is under the age of 27. If that is the case, always sign him to a five year contract during arb3. You don't want to take any chances on losing a single year of control.

Now if you are talking about the mid range players, then that is a crapshoot. Too many things to evaluate for a bulletin board like this (i.e. comp pick status, replace ability, position player vs. pitcher, etc.)

11/8/2019 5:21 PM
Posted by dedelman on 11/8/2019 5:01:00 PM (view original):
Thank you.

1) As tlowster hints, all information given prior to the finalization of budgets is garbage.
2) After that, I've never seen a change-- but I believe it can occur if the player's overall rating changes. Although that might only occur after rollover-- that is, player says "with free agency looming I'm at least going to see what the market has to offer," suffers a major injury, and the following season, with a lowered OVR, now is willing to re-sign.
This is an excellent point that made me think of another angle on this.

Last season in Dirt, I was on the fence about re-signing a player over the age of 30 so I procrastinated re-signing him until later in the season. The player ended up having a 25 day injury in the middle of the season and it was a back injury to a C. So, my choice was to put him on the 7 day DL and lose him for 25 days with little chance to gain back his arm, contact and power that he lost due to injury or put him on the DL for 60 days with the hope that he will come back even stronger with contact, arm and power.

The contract piece was key in my decision because as dedelman mentioned above, this ratings not only change his asking price, they may even change his re-signability all together. So, I signed him long term first, then placed him on the 60 day DL and he had significant gains in contact, arm and power. I can't answer if he would have signed long term or not after the gains from injury recovery, but I was not taking that chance.
11/8/2019 5:32 PM
I rolled the dice on coach hiring for my HC (leaving it open) and got weaker results compared to others. One guy got a 92 HC and a 91 FB by leaving those open and I didn't even get the next few guys down (they didn't get signed, and were asking for more than the guy I got). Does last season's performance factor into what coach you get if you don't make an offer? I know simmy will go for the coach you had last season first (if avail) but after that there must be some other logic going on behind the scenes that I would like to understand better.
11/12/2019 8:26 PM (edited)
Another coaching hiring question. I currently have the lead on two coaches I want for a particular role. Coach A has lower numbers in his specialty field and I offered him more money, coach B has higher numbers in his specialty field and I offered him less.

Any idea if I have the top bid on both which one the game will sign for me?
11/13/2019 3:11 PM
◂ Prev 1...35|36|37|38|39...112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.