Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

I suspect the answer to both your coach hiring questions is "It's random as ****."

Okay, more to the point. I've long suspected that the ONLY determinant of when anyone signs a new contract is that there's a random order generated, and when someone's turn comes up and they've got an offer they sign it. Yeah I know it's paranoid and oversimplified but it's my idea. It would definitely explain why this guy signs now and not that one.

11/13/2019 3:34 PM (edited)
Posted by deroches on 9/12/2019 11:16:00 PM (view original):
Does anybody know: If I transfer money from prospect into player payroll, will the amount I am allowed to have in future years go up?

for example, if my Player Payroll is $100 I can only have $80m in obligations for the following season. If I transfer one mil into player payroll, making it $101m, would my next year cap rise to 80.8m?
I just had a trade complete that involved cash. My current player budget was $77.95M for the current season and $62.40M available for next season. After the trade, the current player budget was $80.45M but the next season stayed the same at $62.40M available.

I'm not sure about transferring from a different budget into player payroll, but I thought I would share what would happen with a trade that involved cash.
11/13/2019 4:21 PM
Posted by damag on 11/13/2019 3:34:00 PM (view original):
I suspect the answer to both your coach hiring questions is "It's random as ****."

Okay, more to the point. I've long suspected that the ONLY determinant of when anyone signs a new contract is that there's a random order generated, and when someone's turn comes up and they've got an offer they sign it. Yeah I know it's paranoid and oversimplified but it's my idea. It would definitely explain why this guy signs now and not that one.

So this is why everyone hates coach hiring. I’d rather just put all the money on my ‘favourite’ guy. But if someone swoops in and grabs him at the last minute the difference could be 20 points or more in ratings difference.
11/13/2019 4:34 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 11/13/2019 4:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by damag on 11/13/2019 3:34:00 PM (view original):

So this is why everyone hates coach hiring. I’d rather just put all the money on my ‘favourite’ guy. But if someone swoops in and grabs him at the last minute the difference could be 20 points or more in ratings difference.
I rarely if ever compete for a "Top" coach anymore. To use your example, say you're bidding on a "95" guy and if you miss you have to settle for a "75" guy... I tap out earlier in the process and secure one of the "85" guys however I have to. Like bidding on Type Bs while others are fighting for the Type As. Or, if I really want a super high guy, just bring a large bag of money.

11/13/2019 4:46 PM
There is only one coach that matters in SD that is worth 4-5 million. And thank god Howie Douglass is coming back again for $750.
11/13/2019 7:11 PM
Said it before, when I see Rollover, first thing I click on is Coach Rehiring to see if my FI is coming back. If he isn't, it automatically adds $3M to my coaching budget.

11/13/2019 7:30 PM
I know I lost out on a Fielding coach and stunted my guys badly. Which leads to another question. Say I want to trade for a SS prospect, but I happen to have missed out on a good FI for the season so I don't want him in my system getting the crappy FI "boost" Can I trade for him as ptbnl and leave him in other owners farm with good FI until say the trade deadline etc? Or would that be collusion? Obviously at the time of the trade, you announce to the world in world chat.
11/14/2019 12:28 PM
Posted by McGirkTheJer on 11/14/2019 12:28:00 PM (view original):
I know I lost out on a Fielding coach and stunted my guys badly. Which leads to another question. Say I want to trade for a SS prospect, but I happen to have missed out on a good FI for the season so I don't want him in my system getting the crappy FI "boost" Can I trade for him as ptbnl and leave him in other owners farm with good FI until say the trade deadline etc? Or would that be collusion? Obviously at the time of the trade, you announce to the world in world chat.
I'd be ok with it but you'd have to discuss it with your world. Work it out to make sure its not collusion and explain why its going the way it is. The problem with this is it becomes a very slippery slope once you start down it.
11/14/2019 1:55 PM
As far as simmy auto-hiring, what I don't like is that:
  1. It appears that the auto-hiring process is done by owner, rather than by position. As a result, another owner may get a 90 HC as a 1B before your HC is filled.
  2. The coaches chosen are random. Your opponent may get a 91 HC, then an 87 and 85 will be skipped, and you end up with a 79 while the other higher coaches go unchosen. And they aren't more expensive, either.
11/14/2019 2:04 PM
I think it will auto rehire your last one at that position if they are available first.
11/14/2019 2:07 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 11/14/2019 1:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by McGirkTheJer on 11/14/2019 12:28:00 PM (view original):
I'd be ok with it but you'd have to discuss it with your world. Work it out to make sure its not collusion and explain why its going the way it is. The problem with this is it becomes a very slippery slope once you start down it.
I don't see how this works because you can't tell the system to delay actual player transfer till a later date. What you'd have to do is agree in principle to a future trade with the other owner. And you don't have to tell anyone about it, just make sure the players in question don't go anywhere else. I wouldn't call that collusion of any kind.

11/14/2019 2:44 PM
As for the coach auto hiring, I doubt any of us has done a full experiment over several seasons to figure out what the actual sim tendencies might be. That could either be a fabulous way to wreck a franchise in a hurry, OR a leading indicator that maybe coaches don't even matter LOL.

11/14/2019 2:46 PM
Posted by opie100 on 11/14/2019 2:05:00 PM (view original):
  1. It appears that the auto-hiring process is done by owner, rather than by position. As a result, another owner may get a 90 HC as a 1B before your HC is filled.
  2. The coaches chosen are random. Your opponent may get a 91 HC, then an 87 and 85 will be skipped, and you end up with a 79 while the other higher coaches go unchosen. And they aren't more expensive, either.
There is a trick to use this as your advantage. But I don't want to share because then everyone will do it.
11/14/2019 2:51 PM
Posted by opie100 on 11/14/2019 2:05:00 PM (view original):
I'm curious now. When a coach gets auto-hired, are they hired at their demand salary or at a discount?
11/14/2019 3:48 PM
How do I make sure I don’t F up my rule 5 draft? Because I have been doing that for the past 50 seasons.
11/16/2019 11:55 AM
◂ Prev 1...36|37|38|39|40...112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.