Keeper World Discussion Thread Topic

Good point.  How about this?  If you hide Unassigned LT contract players, then you don't get to keep them?  
1/7/2015 11:20 AM
Redistribution of them becomes a problem. 
1/7/2015 11:24 AM
They go on the waiver wire, and it's announced on world chat.  Bonus for tankers
1/7/2015 11:26 AM
Except you tank at your own risk, due to the MWR
1/7/2015 11:26 AM
that potentially could punish honest mistakes.  say it was an honest error, a last minute signing of a stud max contract player, and you still had 20 on the 40 man.  You certainly can't ask that owner to release the max player, it would destroy the franchise payroll wise for the next five seasons.  If you DFA him, he could get claimed, he could not, make the penalty drastically different in each scenario.  

I think my suggestion about having them DFA the numbers of players over works, not necessarily the unassigned guys, with recourse to take action against repeat offenders built in.

1/7/2015 11:27 AM

First 28 games revert to previous season.   Bonus for tankers in the season before you started this project.   I'd take the worst team out there if I were playing.   A) they might not have 20 worth keeping  B) I'll have first shot at the FOUR players who had to be waived. 

1/7/2015 11:29 AM
redistribution:  yeah, but the max of 2 waiver claims offsets that somewhat, and announcing it in world chat like shobob said would make it more fair.
1/7/2015 11:30 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/7/2015 11:29:00 AM (view original):

First 28 games revert to previous season.   Bonus for tankers in the season before you started this project.   I'd take the worst team out there if I were playing.   A) they might not have 20 worth keeping  B) I'll have first shot at the FOUR players who had to be waived. 

are someone's 21st and on best players really going to be game changers? 
1/7/2015 11:31 AM
Depends.   I find useful players on the WW all the time.    And that's without the rules that would be in place in this particular world.
1/7/2015 11:33 AM
Posted by alogman1 on 1/7/2015 11:27:00 AM (view original):
that potentially could punish honest mistakes.  say it was an honest error, a last minute signing of a stud max contract player, and you still had 20 on the 40 man.  You certainly can't ask that owner to release the max player, it would destroy the franchise payroll wise for the next five seasons.  If you DFA him, he could get claimed, he could not, make the penalty drastically different in each scenario.  

I think my suggestion about having them DFA the numbers of players over works, not necessarily the unassigned guys, with recourse to take action against repeat offenders built in.

Couldn't you abuse this by keeping a turd on your roster to give away?
1/7/2015 11:35 AM
Posted by shobob on 1/7/2015 11:12:00 AM (view original):
Ok, so 20 is the min we can ask people to go down to.  Fine.  That leaves us with needing a rule to enforce.  Tecwrg has laid out the means for monitoring compliance, and foulballz has given us a means of punishing without kicking people out.  Next item on the agenda:  How EXACTLY is this rule going to be worded?
I think there's still a problem.  Or at least something that needs to be pointed out so that everybody understands.

You cannot go below 20 players on the ML roster after arbitration day.  Let's say you're right at 20.  Anybody you sign to an LT contract during FA will NEED to be assigned to the ML roster, and somebody else already on the ML roster (with no future seasons on their contract) will need to be DFA'd. Otherwise, if you already have 20 on your ML roster, and an unassigned LT guy, you're out of compliance with the rule.

This also means that you cannot have anybody in your minors on the 40.  If you have a stud prospect in the minors on the 40 that you don't want to lose, you HAVE to put him on your ML roster and DFA somebody else.

Everybody needs to understand the implications of that.  The 20 man minimum of the ML roster after arbitration day is going to be very restrictive.
1/7/2015 11:37 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/7/2015 11:37:00 AM (view original):
Ok, so 20 is the min we can ask people to go down to.  Fine.  That leaves us with needing a rule to enforce.  Tecwrg has laid out the means for monitoring compliance, and foulballz has given us a means of punishing without kicking people out.  Next item on the agenda:  How EXACTLY is this rule going to be worded?
I think there's still a problem.  Or at least something that needs to be pointed out so that everybody understands.

You cannot go below 20 players on the ML roster after arbitration day.  Let's say you're right at 20.  Anybody you sign to an LT contract during FA will NEED to be assigned to the ML roster, and somebody else already on the ML roster (with no future seasons on their contract) will need to be DFA'd. Otherwise, if you already have 20 on your ML roster, and an unassigned LT guy, you're out of compliance with the rule.

This also means that you cannot have anybody in your minors on the 40.  If you have a stud prospect in the minors on the 40 that you don't want to lose, you HAVE to put him on your ML roster and DFA somebody else.

Everybody needs to understand the implications of that.  The 20 man minimum of the ML roster after arbitration day is going to be very restrictive.
It's my understanding that you should be able to DFA (WITH WAIVERS) anyone, LT or not.  The rule about unassigned players is to prevent people from hiding talent from being redistributed.  If  a LT contract guy is DFAd with waivers, he's on the waiver wire, and is not hidden.  Is there something I'm missing here?
1/7/2015 11:51 AM (edited)
I'm perfectly ok with not allowing people to keep stud players on the 40 in the minors.  That is one of the main selling points of this theme for me.
1/7/2015 11:48 AM
Posted by shobob on 1/7/2015 11:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 1/7/2015 11:37:00 AM (view original):

It's my understanding that you should be able to DFA (WITH WAIVERS) anyone, LT or not.  The rule about unassigned players is to prevent people from hiding talent from being redistributed.  If  a LT contract guy is DFAd with waivers, he's on the waiver wire, and is not hidden.  Is there something I'm missing here?
alogman pointed out that you cannot DFA if doing do will bring your ML roster below 20.

Is it your thought that if a LT guy is DFAd with waivers, and he goes through the waiver wire unclaimed, that it's OK to leave him unassigned?  He's not on the 40, and he was exposed to be claimed by anybody while on the wire.  If nobody claimed him, then he's OK?

What if he was claimed by another team, and is then on that team's unassigned list?  They've only got 20 guys on their 40, and now he's a 21st guy sitting out there unassigned and is not exposed to R5 (because of his LT contract).

That's the problem.

1/7/2015 12:02 PM
"alogman pointed out that you cannot DFA if doing do will bring your ML roster below 20."  

Yeah I meant anyone, as long you're over 20 on the 40.

"Is it your thought that if a LT guy is DFAd with waivers, and he goes through the waiver wire unclaimed, that it's OK to leave him unassigned?  He's not on the 40, and he was exposed to be claimed by anybody while on the wire.  If nobody claimed him, then he's OK?"

It cannot be any other way, because a player cannot be waived twice in quick succession, as far as I know.  I'm ok with this.

"What if he was claimed by another team, and is then on that team's unassigned list?  They've only got 20 guys on their 40, and now he's a 21st guy sitting out there unassigned and is not exposed to R5 (because of his LT contract)."

As soon as you sign or are awarded a claim for a player,  the rule will state that you must assign him to your 40 man roster.  The sticking point I see for this is claims awarded and free agents that sign at the last minute just before the R5 roster freeze.  Perhaps we will have to make allowances for this situation?  All transactions are time-stamped, so this can be tracked, right?
1/7/2015 12:26 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...26 Next ▸
Keeper World Discussion Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.