This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
"A n00b signs up. He gets the team he picked." (1) He lives with his choice. Or (2) he reads the forums and quickly learns this is the place to whine. (1) The former sticks around because he is man enough to accept that his choices have consequences. (2a) The latter either sticks around and whines or (2b) leaves, looking for freebies elsewhere.
Or he just becomes part of the background noise with Only ... and Mike if he stays on his current course.
3/15/2017 3:43 PM (edited)
Spud - are you okay? For real. Is your life so horrible that you need to come on the forums and just make everyone else around you become as miserable as you? Seriously man, get some help.
3/14/2017 5:25 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/14/2017 9:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mamxet on 3/13/2017 5:15:00 PM (view original):
here again - it is inadequate to say - you picked the team you take the consequences

the question is what set of rules, features, would be good for game play. There is no single right way to handle coaches who takeover teams - but one can fairly discuss what is good for the game

Yes, not the point.

A n00b signs up. He gets the team he picked. Even if it's not bad, he doesn't have any ownership of the players. If he's winning his conference, maybe it's not a big deal. Maybe that's the "hook" he needs. But, barring that conference championship, HD needs a "hook". Recruiting a few players for your first team is it.
agreed 100%. i had to really talk myself into coming back for year 2. i won my CT and that definitely wasn't it. wanting to move up to D2 was it.
3/14/2017 5:28 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/14/2017 5:25:00 PM (view original):
Spud - are you okay? For real. Is your life so horrible that you need to come on the forums and just make everyone else around you become as miserable as you? Seriously man, get some help.
That wasn't even a good post for background noise.
3/14/2017 5:31 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 3/14/2017 5:18:00 PM (view original):
"A n00b signs up. He gets the team he picked." (1) He lives with his choice. Or (2) he reads the forums and quickly learns this is the place to whine. (1) The former sticks around because he is man enough to accept that his choices have consequences. (2a) The latter either sticks around and whines or (2b) leaves, looking for freebies elsewhere.
Or he just becomes part of the background noise with Only.
Spud, I'm going to do something that most around here don't. I'm going to ask you a direct question so you can answer it directly rather than just insult you for being unable to stay on topic.. Just answer the question asked. Don't make me regret this.

Do you think it would be a good idea to allow NEW users who select a team PRIOR to RS2 to actually recruit players? It's a yes/no question.
3/14/2017 5:31 PM
My first team was 10-18 against a really ****** schedule. I seem to remember my RPI was in the 300s. I had so much fun. If my team was 0-27, I can tell you I wouldn't have had fun at all and would have quit the game.
3/14/2017 5:32 PM
MikeT, I think it is unnecessary, as described above. It is a bad idea only insofar as it would allow a complete noob to f up faster. It is a good idea only insofar as ... hmm, can't think of a good reason.
3/14/2017 5:33 PM
Then you should read the first post. The good reason is there.
3/14/2017 5:35 PM
Put it this way. My first team was bad. That was fine. It was free. None of the players were mine. I was not hooked. There was really no reason for me to play a 2nd season. Except 11 of us in the conference came from a HBD world. Most wanted to try a season 2 or at least get the full HD experience of recruiting. 10 stayed. My "hook" was the other 9 users. We recruited and, like most, I didn't do as well as I hoped. Then, part way thru season 2, I realized I got one guy in my first recruiting effort. He could set the all-time school record for scoring. Now I'm in for 4 seasons. As a collective, we decided to stay in D3 and compete against one another.

So, knowing I'm sticking in D3 but having a lot of down time that is HD, I took a 2nd team in order to progress to D1.

Last October, HD had no appeal. But it got it's hooks in me. This game needs to incentivize people to play that first season and then another. Getting to use "your" players in your first season is one way to do that.

And, if you F up recruiting, you learned something. If that hurts your feelings, you drop that team and pick up another. If you only want to coach at WCSU in D3, there are 10 of them. Good chance one is open.

But HD needs to get you that first season. Right now, it doesn't.
3/14/2017 5:45 PM
FWIW, I don't expect anyone who's been playing for the last 8 years, or has hundreds of seasons, to understand. They're in and don't remember the "Let me try this out" days. But the way it's currently set up is not the way to get someone to pay for a 2nd season.
3/14/2017 5:52 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 3/14/2017 5:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 3/14/2017 5:25:00 PM (view original):
That wasn't even a good post for background noise.
It wasn't meant to be funny. I'm 100% serious. Something about you is off.
3/14/2017 6:06 PM
Mike - you're 100% correct. There is only one person who doesn't agree with you. It's insane to think what you're saying isn't logical.

This is a SLOWWW game. You need something to keep their interest in the very beginning. The idea of recruiting in season actually sounded okay at first since it gave you something to do but it doesn't even occur until you're a couple weeks in. And then it means you can't do it your first season... unless they just let you friggen recruit before the 2nd session!! DUH.
3/14/2017 6:11 PM
As someone who's played for 50+ seasons, I would agree with MikeT on this one (astonishing).

New coaches entering at D3, don't get to easily recruit their own players, set up their game schedule and likely end up playing teams that are 100+ overall points above them just to get crushed. By the time mid-season recruiting has started, they might be 0fer and just ghostshipping from that point.
3/14/2017 6:14 PM (edited)
I'm right most of the time(just ask me) but it goes counter to what the "vets" want. New users don't give a damn about EEs, RNGs, or 98% of everything discussed/argued on a daily basis in this forum. It's difficult to get info and, if you're afraid of being shouted down or called an idiot, you're not posting here.

So they have to find tidbits of info where they can and, quite honestly, the negativity makes it difficult to care to dig for them. Right now, nothing incentivizes them to play a season two.

EVERYONE should agree we need more users and that a way to keep them around is necessary. Yet I think only 4 "regular" posters have even bothered to express an opinion. THIS is something that should be addressed by all.
3/14/2017 6:35 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...11 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.