Prestige and recruiting Topic

Posted by dukelegend on 4/23/2017 2:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gt_deuce on 4/22/2017 7:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by awags on 4/22/2017 1:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by nitros on 4/22/2017 12:32:00 PM (view original):
Tangent: I really think two changes to 1A would make it much, much more interesting for me personally:

1. Elites change over time.
2. Playoffs.

nitros
Here is why I disagree. We have that in the three other levels already. The differences in each level is what keeps them interesting to me.
A dynamic Elite system would keep that mechanism intact but add a fun element to incentivize coaches to overachieve at their non-Elite.
I really wish they would make elite status 100% performance based allowing any team to get top tier status.
then coaches should die
3/9/2018 4:23 AM
Posted by TBill7 on 3/9/2018 1:44:00 AM (view original):
We just had a Big East IA discussion in Leahy concerning prestige edge. My comment was "if I knew that 5k from Penn State equaled 100k from non elites, it would be insane for anybody else to compete. If the edge isn't that big then how big is it?" yankee301 thought it might be as high as 2-1. Ebel331 responded, " 2 to 1 is completely wrong. 5k to 100k is funny. Team's recent history plays a big roll. If you take over a rebuild your prestige sucks and hurts your recruiting efforts, which has nothing to do with elites. also BC is not an elite team" Now ebel is a great coach (and probably a very good recruiter) But how could he know what the recruiting edge is when there is no transparency. Maybe he would be so kind as to describe recruiting battles he won against Elites when he was a Non Elite. How much $ did he spend? How can he know what the Elite spent? I wonder if the guys that win almost all of their recruiting battles really outspend their rivals. If someone beats me in a recruiting battle where I spend 80k and he spends 65k, at least I would have an idea what the edge is.
Another part of ebel's statement I'd like to address is the comment that rebuilding prestige sucks and has nothing to do with elites. My situation is that I have the prestige to easily out recruit the bottom 4 conferences. In a top conference against non elites, I'm on equal footing where distance, recruiting $, position scarcity and position distribution are factors that I can use to make rational decisions. It's ONLY against elites where it's imperative that I have an idea of the % edge in order for me to make intelligent (skillful) decisions. Wouldn't it be better to have as much skill as possible in this game?
3/9/2018 4:42 AM
These are all great questions. I don't know what the advantage truly is. I know my recruiting money, I know my opponents recruiting money, and I know what it typically takes to sign a good recruit from a sim. I have spent exorbitant amounts and had recruits taken away with ease. We know there is an advantage at the blueblood elite schools. We know there is a performance bump to prestige as well although we dont know exactly how much. I have had some success but will lose a recruit everytime an elite or top performer (BC) gets involved. Sometimes I walk away, other times I cant help myself and try to make it as expensive as possible.
I really believe there is a compounding effect. Schools with higher prestige, typically have more bowl money, spend less on recruits turned from sims, and have less coaches challenge for their recruits. Therefore when they want to compete with a human coach they have so much more cash available and a higher prestige to boot. If a top team comes after one of your players, they will probably win unless they get into too many battles. When recruiting in the first cycle I always evaluate who might go after my targets too. At Pitt you have to ask yourself will PSU go after this kid? Is a school like Temple putting pressure on PSU in other spots? Can I get a similar player someplace else? 1A can be maddening with the inherent unfairness ( like real life.) I said a lot without saying much. Just know you are at a severe disadvantage against certain schools and operate fully aware of that fact.
3/11/2018 1:57 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 1234
Prestige and recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.