But everyone's begun
With a southern accent
Where I come from.

I got my own way of living
But everything gets done
With a southern accent
Where I come from.

End of Petty wisdom.

Everybody's got their own view because everyone's angle is different. Something about repose and walking a mile in........ but I digress.
We's all Americans and we's all supposed to be able to be left alone to our own devices....... besides I like Banjos and Blues guitar.
In America we want it all. It's a stew.......stir it or it gets a scum on top.
8/8/2017 4:31 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/8/2017 4:27:00 PM (view original):
Anyway, I only brought it up because Lincoln was tied with Washington. Killing the most Americans in a war without exploring, and re-exploring, all options doesn't make one a great President.
It's hilarious that you want to blame Lincoln for the Civil War instead of the South.
8/8/2017 4:34 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/8/2017 4:34:00 PM (view original):
Anyway, I only brought it up because Lincoln was tied with Washington. Killing the most Americans in a war without exploring, and re-exploring, all options doesn't make one a great President.
It's hilarious that you want to blame Lincoln for the Civil War instead of the South.
Equally hilarious that you don't recognize taking an unfinished fort without orders because it was in "better position" isn't the precursor for war. And that attempting to resupply/fortify it by the Federal government is a sure sign that war is being planned.

It wasn't necessary in April of 1861. It may have been at a later date. Lincoln chose to start a war to further his agenda. I think you've beat up on a POTUS for that same thing.
8/8/2017 4:39 PM
Let's put it in real terms.

You and a guy are arguing over Edgar Martinez/HOF in a bar. He stands up. Then he calls his buddies over. Do you think he's going to continue arguing or is it about to become physical?

Moving to a "more defensible" fort and attempting to resupply/fortify said fort is that.
8/8/2017 4:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/8/2017 4:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/8/2017 4:34:00 PM (view original):
Equally hilarious that you don't recognize taking an unfinished fort without orders because it was in "better position" isn't the precursor for war. And that attempting to resupply/fortify it by the Federal government is a sure sign that war is being planned.

It wasn't necessary in April of 1861. It may have been at a later date. Lincoln chose to start a war to further his agenda. I think you've beat up on a POTUS for that same thing.
Think about what you're saying.

How dare the federal government resupply a fort...within its own borders.

8/8/2017 4:58 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/8/2017 4:57:00 PM (view original):
Let's put it in real terms.

You and a guy are arguing over Edgar Martinez/HOF in a bar. He stands up. Then he calls his buddies over. Do you think he's going to continue arguing or is it about to become physical?

Moving to a "more defensible" fort and attempting to resupply/fortify said fort is that.
Let's fix that analogy.

You're taking a **** in the middle of the street. A cop comes up and says, "sir, I need you to pull your pants up and walk over to the sidewalk."

You say, "**** you *******, shitter's rights ************."

Cop "resupplies his fort" by pulling out his taser.

You charge him.

The cop did not start the ensuing "civil war." You did. He had jurisdiction. You tried to "secede" from his jurisdiction. Your fault.
8/8/2017 5:05 PM
The analogy was just fine as it was.

No one was threatening Fort Moultrie. A Union officer decided he needed a more defensible location despite having no reason to feel threatened. Union soldiers were walking the streets just as they always had. You're sitting there on your front porch and, in the middle of the night, a garrison marches out to an unfinished fort. Why are they doing that?

Honestly, if Fort Sumter had been a finished, active fort, I get what you're saying. It wasn't. So why are troops taking up residence? And why is the US government putting more troops there and loading them with supplies/ammunition? I'll tell you why. Lincoln wanted to start a war to further his agenda. Killed 600,000+ Americans to do it. Great POTUS my ***. Blundering murderer is more appropriate.
8/8/2017 5:55 PM
It's like placing a battalion on a hill overlooking the city? Why do you do that? It's not because you enjoy the view while having a picnic. It's a sign of impending battle. Taking over empty, unfinished Fort Sumter let everyone know the intentions of the Union/Lincoln. War is coming, get ready.
8/8/2017 6:06 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/8/2017 5:55:00 PM (view original):
The analogy was just fine as it was.

No one was threatening Fort Moultrie. A Union officer decided he needed a more defensible location despite having no reason to feel threatened. Union soldiers were walking the streets just as they always had. You're sitting there on your front porch and, in the middle of the night, a garrison marches out to an unfinished fort. Why are they doing that?

Honestly, if Fort Sumter had been a finished, active fort, I get what you're saying. It wasn't. So why are troops taking up residence? And why is the US government putting more troops there and loading them with supplies/ammunition? I'll tell you why. Lincoln wanted to start a war to further his agenda. Killed 600,000+ Americans to do it. Great POTUS my ***. Blundering murderer is more appropriate.

Why are they doing that?

Good question, why were they doing that? Did South Carolina do anything of note in the year before that?
8/8/2017 6:13 PM
No aggression towards any Union troops. Sounds like people just living their lives. Until the war monger POTUS decided to kill 600,000+ Americans. I mean I get war. Sometimes it's necessary. But can't you kill someone besides your own citizens? Lincoln's track record of citizen killing makes Saddam look like a ***** in that category.
8/8/2017 6:26 PM
So when this battle went down, who did the Union army fight?
8/8/2017 6:31 PM
American citizens. Do you think the main job of the POTUS is to serve the citizens of the United States?
8/8/2017 6:55 PM
Wait, did they consider themselves American citizens?
8/8/2017 7:01 PM
OMG! bl is totally right.

I would not choose to weigh in or refight the Civil War.

I will now have to re-examine.

Perhaps some of us do deserve a second chance.

A thin window in a rough neighborhood.

AND NOW: RE-INACTMENT VIDIO

8/8/2017 7:04 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/8/2017 7:01:00 PM (view original):
Wait, did they consider themselves American citizens?
CSA?
8/8/2017 7:09 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...45 Next ▸
best president ever Finals Time! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.