Stand Up For the Anthem Topic

I think the issue most have is that there is a long-standing(pun intended) tradition of standing up, taking off your hat and shutting the hell up while the NA is played. I've been to many sporting events and I can't recall anyone in the stands not getting out of their seat.

Now the problem is that no one is talking about WHY they're kneeling, just that they are kneeling. It's an empty gesture and, quite frankly, there is no "end game". If anyone believes social injustice will end because large men are kneeling during the NA, they are insane. So this "kneeling protest" will continue until the end of time.
9/27/2017 9:44 AM
Posted by toddcommish on 9/27/2017 2:21:00 AM (view original):
People stand during the Olympic Medal ceremonies. Nobody takes a knee, even when the Russians or the Iranians or anyone else win a Gold Medal and they play their respective national anthems. IT'S ABOUT RESPECT. That's all. As an athlete preparing to perform for a paid crowd (forget the TV audience), you should stand since it's THEIR anthem. You only have a job because people pay to see you perform on the field. If you don't show respect for your audience, they won't buy tickets and you won't have a job.

And many many more blacks are killed by other blacks than killed by white cops. Where are the protests for that?
AMEN ! and AMEN !

During any Country's National Anthem, is NOT the time for protest, by anyone.

My Grandfather, who saw more than his share of Military duty, taught me that during the National Anthem people should Stand Up, Shut Up, and Correct Those Who Act Up. I was correcting my friends at HS events before most of these spoiled know-it-alls were born. I still believe in that today, and no group of athletes with an ulterior motive are going to get me to change that belief. Why not spend their time and effort on the much larger problem, and without disrespecting the Country?

They may not understand the disrespect felt by people like me, but since there's so many of us, shouldn't they honor it, the same way they want everyone else to understand and honor the disrespect they feel about a certain word being used?
9/27/2017 9:45 AM
Posted by all3 on 9/26/2017 5:27:00 PM (view original):
See, why does race have to be involved in the discussion at all? Saying the privileged white are the only people who think this is disrespectful is far from the truth. Anyone who believes that is in their own World. There are many Americans, me included, who have disapproved ANYONE sitting, kneeling, or otherwise acting disrespectful during the National Anthem for decades. For those millions of people, it IS about respect, and nothing else. Those trying to make this, or anything else, about race, when it really isn't, are bigger racists than 99% of those they are accusing. Sorry you, and so many others, are yes, too dumb, or maybe just too stubborn, to see that and are intent on supporting your own racist accusations.
first of all, those are not my words. I didn't say anything about race. Second of all, just because you and millions of others think it is disrespectful, that does not mean it is. Do the NFL players mean to be disrespectful? I don't think they do. That is just the way you choose to interpret their protest. That is your right. No matter how many people agree with you, its still just your opinion. That does not make it the right opinion. I haven't heard any NFL players say anything disrespectful regarding the flag, or our military or the country. All they've said is they see something they feel is wrong in the country and they choose to protest it.
You find it necessary to insult people and call them dumb or stupid because they have a different opinion from yours. I don't call you dumb or stupid, even if your opinion makes little to no sense to me.
Personally I have always stood for the national anthem and I don't se that changing. However I will not criticize others for protesting and exercising the right to freedom of speech, even if I do not agree with the way they choose to protest or even what they are protesting.
9/27/2017 1:26 PM
where was all the talk about disrespecting the national anthem when Trumps immigrant wife had to remind him to cover his heart during the national anthem?
9/27/2017 1:28 PM
I think through all of this, we can agree Samantha Bee is not funny, nor does she dabble in the even mildly amusing.
9/27/2017 2:12 PM
Sexist!
9/27/2017 2:30 PM
Posted by edsortails on 9/27/2017 2:12:00 PM (view original):
I think through all of this, we can agree Samantha Bee is not funny, nor does she dabble in the even mildly amusing.
I concur.
9/27/2017 3:08 PM
never watched her. don't know. don't care.
9/27/2017 3:21 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 9/27/2017 1:26:00 PM (view original):
See, why does race have to be involved in the discussion at all? Saying the privileged white are the only people who think this is disrespectful is far from the truth. Anyone who believes that is in their own World. There are many Americans, me included, who have disapproved ANYONE sitting, kneeling, or otherwise acting disrespectful during the National Anthem for decades. For those millions of people, it IS about respect, and nothing else. Those trying to make this, or anything else, about race, when it really isn't, are bigger racists than 99% of those they are accusing. Sorry you, and so many others, are yes, too dumb, or maybe just too stubborn, to see that and are intent on supporting your own racist accusations.
first of all, those are not my words. I didn't say anything about race. Second of all, just because you and millions of others think it is disrespectful, that does not mean it is. Do the NFL players mean to be disrespectful? I don't think they do. That is just the way you choose to interpret their protest. That is your right. No matter how many people agree with you, its still just your opinion. That does not make it the right opinion. I haven't heard any NFL players say anything disrespectful regarding the flag, or our military or the country. All they've said is they see something they feel is wrong in the country and they choose to protest it.
You find it necessary to insult people and call them dumb or stupid because they have a different opinion from yours. I don't call you dumb or stupid, even if your opinion makes little to no sense to me.
Personally I have always stood for the national anthem and I don't se that changing. However I will not criticize others for protesting and exercising the right to freedom of speech, even if I do not agree with the way they choose to protest or even what they are protesting.
Obviously reading comprehension is not a strong point for you. I have repeatedly stressed that I don't think anybody is dumb for protesting what they believe is wrong. Only the fact they can't understand the difference between doing it in a respectful manor and a manor that many, if not most, think is disrespectful. If the discussion about a protest is more about whether or not it is disrespectful than about what is being protested, doesn't that seem like something is a bit out-of-whack with that protest?
9/27/2017 3:58 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/27/2017 9:44:00 AM (view original):
I think the issue most have is that there is a long-standing(pun intended) tradition of standing up, taking off your hat and shutting the hell up while the NA is played. I've been to many sporting events and I can't recall anyone in the stands not getting out of their seat.

Now the problem is that no one is talking about WHY they're kneeling, just that they are kneeling. It's an empty gesture and, quite frankly, there is no "end game". If anyone believes social injustice will end because large men are kneeling during the NA, they are insane. So this "kneeling protest" will continue until the end of time.
so let's bring it front and center again

unarmed blacks getting shot by armed white cops

you've seen the videos

the cops excuse is their training

the cops excuse is they were scared

it's already getting better: cops are getting fired, cops are getting tried

kneel for peace justice and the american way!

but me i'm a old white guy w/ bad knees, i'll keep standing and taking my hat off
9/27/2017 4:16 PM
Well, I've been arrested a time or two. I've been detained more than a few times. I am completely lacking in bullet holes. There's a reason.

Do what the guy with the gun, and the authority to use it, tells you to do.

No one had to tell me this. My parents didn't pound it into my head during childhood. Cops never had to say "Stop that or I will shoot you." It's common sense.
9/27/2017 5:43 PM
While some may describe my life as the definition of white privilege, and thus may discount my opinion, I would say this 'movement' started about a year ago with the goal to start a conversation about equality.

Well, when does somebody actually start talking?
9/27/2017 6:49 PM
"When somebody starts listening" is not an acceptable answer.
9/27/2017 7:00 PM
Posted by all3 on 9/27/2017 3:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 9/27/2017 1:26:00 PM (view original):
Obviously reading comprehension is not a strong point for you. I have repeatedly stressed that I don't think anybody is dumb for protesting what they believe is wrong. Only the fact they can't understand the difference between doing it in a respectful manor and a manor that many, if not most, think is disrespectful. If the discussion about a protest is more about whether or not it is disrespectful than about what is being protested, doesn't that seem like something is a bit out-of-whack with that protest?
Again, just because it is your opinion that it is disrespectful, that does not make it disrespectful. No matter how many people think it is disrespectful, it doesn't make that opinion right. I'm not saying my opinion that it is not disrespectful is right either. They are opinions. They can not be right or wrong, or they wouldn't be opinions, they would be facts. I can comprehend what you are saying just fine. You are saying that since you and many others think it is disrespectful, it is disrespectful. I really don't think the NFL players are trying to disrespect the flag, country or military. That is just the way you choose to interpret it.

And the fact that the discussion is more about whether the protest is disrespectful or not than the protest itself tells me that something is out of whack with the country, not the protest. I just don't see how they are disrespecting anything by exercising one of our most precious American rights. Freedom of speech.
9/27/2017 7:37 PM
Posted by edsortails on 9/27/2017 6:49:00 PM (view original):
While some may describe my life as the definition of white privilege, and thus may discount my opinion, I would say this 'movement' started about a year ago with the goal to start a conversation about equality.

Well, when does somebody actually start talking?
That seems like a lot of work. I think I'll just take a knee.
9/27/2017 8:55 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...8 Next ▸
Stand Up For the Anthem Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.