FISA Memo Topic

I thought you weren't into speculation? That's all that is.
1/30/2018 10:33 AM

Deep antipathy to Hillary Clinton exists within the FBI, multiple bureau sources have told the Guardian, spurring a rapid series of leaks damaging to her campaign just days before the election.

Current and former FBI officials, none of whom were willing or cleared to speak on the record, have described a chaotic internal climate that resulted from outrage over director James Comey’s July decision not to recommend an indictment over Clinton’s maintenance of a private email server on which classified information transited.

“The FBI is Trumpland,” said one current agent.

This atmosphere raises major questions about how Comey and the bureau he is slated to run for the next seven years can work with Clinton should she win the White House.

The currently serving FBI agent said Clinton is “the antichrist personified to a large swath of FBI personnel,” and that “the reason why they’re leaking is they’re pro-Trump.”

The agent called the bureau “Trumplandia”, with some colleagues openly discussing voting for a GOP nominee who has garnered unprecedented condemnation from the party’s national security wing and who has pledged to jail Clinton if elected.

At the same time, other sources dispute the depth of support for Trump within the bureau, though they uniformly stated that Clinton is viewed highly unfavorably.

“There are lots of people who don’t think Trump is qualified, but also believe Clinton is corrupt. What you hear a lot is that it’s a bad choice, between an incompetent and a corrupt politician,” said a former FBI official.

Sources who disputed the depth of Trump’s internal support agreed that the FBI is now in parlous political territory. Justice department officials – another current target of FBI dissatisfaction – have said the bureau disregarded longstanding rulesagainst perceived or actual electoral interference when Comey wrote to Congress to say it was reviewing newly discovered emails relating to Clinton’s personal server.

Comey’s vague letter to Congress, promptly leaked by Republican congressman Jason Chaffetz, said the bureau would evaluate communications – subsequently identified as coming from a device used by disgraced ex-congressman Anthony Weiner, whose estranged wife Huma Abedin is a Clinton aide – for connections to the Clinton server. Comey’s allies say he was placed in an impossible position after previously testifying to Congress it would take an extraordinary development for him to revisit the Clinton issue. Throughout the summer and fall, Trump has attacked the FBI as corrupt for not effectively ending Clinton’s political career.

A political firestorm erupted, with Comey and the bureau coming under withering criticism, including a rebuke on Wednesday from Barack Obama. Even some congressional Republicans, no friends to Clinton, have expressed discomfort with Comey’s last-minute insertion of the bureau into the election.

The relevance of the communications to the Clinton inquiry has yet to be established, as Comey issued his letter before obtaining a warrant to evaluate them. Clinton surrogates contend that Comey has issued innuendo rather than evidence, preventing them from mounting a public defense.

Some feel Comey needs to address the criticism and provide reassurance that the bureau, with its wide-ranging investigative and surveillance powers, will comport itself in an apolitical manner. Yet since Friday, Comey has maintained his silence, even as both Clinton and Trump have called for the bureau to disclose more of what it knows.

Leaks, however, have continued. Fox News reported on Wednesday that the FBI is intensifying an investigation into the Clinton Foundation over allegations – which both the foundation and the Clinton camp deny – it traded donations for access to Hillary Clinton when she was secretary of state. The Wall Street Journal reported that justice department officials considered the allegations flimsy.

The leaks have not exclusively cast aspersions on Clinton. Paul Manafort, Trump’s former campaign manager, is the subject of what is said to be a preliminary FBI inquiry into his business dealings in Russia. Manafort has denied any wrongdoing.

The Daily Beast reported on Thursday on ties between Trump surrogate Rudy Giuliani, the former New York mayor, and the FBI’s New York field office, which reportedly pressed the FBI to revisit the Clinton server investigation after beginning an inquiry into Weiner’s alleged sexual texting with a minor. The website reported that a former New York field office chief, highly critical of the non-indictment, runs a military charity that has received significant financial donations from Trump.

Comey’s decision to tell the public in July that he was effectively dropping the Clinton server issue angered some within the bureau, particularly given the background of tensions with the justice department over the Clinton issue. A significant complication is the appearance of a conflict of interest regarding Loretta Lynch, the attorney general, who met with Bill Clinton this summer ahead of Comey’s announcement, which she acknowledged had “cast a shadow” over the inquiry.

“Many FBI agents were upset at the director, not because he didn’t [recommend to] indict, but they believe he threw the FBI under the bus by taking the heat away from DoJ [Department of Justice],” the former bureau official said.

All this has compounded pressure on Comey, with little end in sight.

Jim Wedick, who retired from the bureau in 2004 after 35 years, said that if Clinton is elected, she and Comey would probably find a way to work together out of a sense of pragmatism. He recalled both his own occasional clashes with federal prosecutors and Bill Clinton’s uneasy relationship with his choice for FBI director, Louis Freeh.

“Each one will find a way to pick at the other. It’s not going to be good and it’s not going to be pretty. But they’ll both have to work with each other,” he said.

Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat on the intelligence committee, said: “The continued leadership failures at the FBI are another reminder we can’t let intelligence agencies say ‘trust us’ and then give them a blank check to probe into Americans’ lives.

“While I’ve argued for years that Congress must create ironclad protections for Americans’ security and privacy, we also need vigilant oversight of agencies that have the power to deprive citizens of their liberty or change the course of an election.”

The FBI would not comment for this story.

1/30/2018 10:35 AM
Posted by tangplay on 1/30/2018 10:28:00 AM (view original):
CCCP, just use logic.
Like all the Trump-haters on this site do?
You know, the ones who swore he'd be in prison, or at least impeached by now.
Maybe like the ones who swore they'd move to Canada if he won?
Anyone posting (or agreeing to) that sort of garbage, who then tries to tell others to use logic is nothing but laughable hypocrite, whose word has zero credibility.
1/30/2018 10:35 AM
Like I told you, my two friends in the FBI say that if anyone thinks the FBI was working to help Hillary Clinton win the election, they are insane. No one like her there.
1/30/2018 10:36 AM
Posted by The Taint on 1/30/2018 10:33:00 AM (view original):
I thought you weren't into speculation? That's all that is.
The YouTube video makes it seem like there is a smoking gun? Did you watch it?
1/30/2018 10:39 AM
Posted by The Taint on 1/30/2018 10:36:00 AM (view original):
Like I told you, my two friends in the FBI say that if anyone thinks the FBI was working to help Hillary Clinton win the election, they are insane. No one like her there.
Lower level people sure but the higher level people had a different view. As I understand it. Again, I didn't care until I saw the video of that congressional hearing. If the memo illuminates more on that I want to see it. If it is regarding something else I am still curious but I care less.
1/30/2018 10:41 AM
The pre-election True Pundit story threatening the FBI with fake NYPD Clinton leaks if Comey didn't indict Clinton ASAP reaches the First Family: Donald Trump Jr. retweeted the True Pundit story 96 hours before Election Day, then deleted it (see Trump Twitter Archive).

2/ If you go to the TTA and search Don's tweets for "NYPD", you get two stunning results: a) Trump Jr. retweeted the True Pundit story (via Mike Flynn) then deleted it and b) he retweeted WIKILEAKS retweeting the True Pundit story and then un-retweeted it.

3/ Trump friends, advisors, aides, and boosters we now know voluntarily associated themselves with the false True Pundit story in October/November (a story aimed at coercing Comey to reopen the Clinton case) include: Assange Bannon Flynn Giuliani Kallstrom Pirro Prince Trump Jr.

4/ Moreover—as in the Trump-Russia probe—a pattern has emerged: some of these people tried to cover their tracks after the fact. Giuliani and Kallstrom tried to retract their claims of receiving Hatch Act-violative leaks from active FBI agents, and Don Jr. deleted tweets and RTs.

5/ The True Pundit Hoax is quickly becoming a whole sector of the Trump-Russia case—almost as complex, and with as many connections to Donald Trump, as other parts of the case. And here, too, it looks like laws were violated and there may well have been coordination (conspiracy).

6/ One of the key figures won't reveal his identity ("Thomas Paine"); another is now a convict (Flynn); another mysteriously turned down a Cabinet post—apparently to avoid Congressional testimony (Giuliani); another is Julian Assange; another has gone off the rails on TV (Pirro).

7/ Another involved figure is Trump's son; another was CEO of Trump's campaign; another is an ex-Assistant FBI Director who went rogue by speaking to "50 current and former" FBI agents on Clinton (current agents can't discuss their cases); another just lied to Congress (Prince).

8/ And we are very, *very* fortunate that the House GOP has just announced plans for a *thorough investigation* of bias and corruption at the FBI in the lead-up to the election—and specifically involving the Clinton probe—so *all of this* will be aired publicly, with GOP support.

9/ Understand that in the True Pundit Hoax we're *not* discussing an amorphous nonlegal term like "collusion"—we're discussing a criminal conspiracy to Obstruct Justice at the FBI and thereby *directly and immediately* influence the result of a presidential election. This is big.

10/ A "theory of the case" can't be developed yet, but—given the timeline we have now and Hagmann's claims (see prior threads)—it remains possible that Giuliani and NYPD spread the hoax under the cover of NYPD holding onto some of Wiener's hardware, then leaked it to True Pund

11/ Giuliani's motive to—as Hagmann claimed, trying to laud him—"being behind" the NYPD hoax would be straightforward: at the time he was to be the U.S. Secretary of State or Attorney General if Trump won, and all he had to do was spread a wild rumor about Clinton. Easy winnings.

12/ The problem is, threatening to release emails that don't exist—but that the FBI *doesn't yet know* don't exist—to force the FBI to re-open an investigation is undoubtedly illegal (albeit one of the more *unusual* Obstruction of Justice plots you'll ever encounter in the law).

13/ I'd be remiss if I didn't note the eerie similarity between this plot—which, at a minimum, Rudy Giuliani was *involved* in—and one hatched by Giuliani's friend: Donald Trump. Both men were involved in an illegal digital-recordings hoax to try to get Comey to do their bidding.

14/ (If you've just arrived and are looking for the two primary threads in the "True Pundit Hoax" series of threads, please see the first two "unrolled" threads—single links with entire threads in them—in the "Likes" section of my Twitter page. They'll get you caught up quickly.)

15/ I've been working on this story since I first wrote three investigative articles about it for The Huffington Post at the end of last year, but these new revelations—regarding True Pundit, Trump Jr., Giuliani, Kallstrom, and Pirro—are now opening up a *whole new* can of worms.

16/ UPDATE: The day of the True Pundit Hoax story, Don Jr. *also* retweeted Alex Jones' partner repeating the false claim—*from the True Pundit story*—that Anthony Wiener's PC contained an "avalanche of new emails." See this entry from the Trump Twitter Archive (Don Jr. Section):

17/ UPDATE: Don *also* retweeted *this* FNC report on November 2, 2016, which report likewise echoed the True Pundit Hoax regarding an "avalanche" of new Clinton emails on Wiener's PC. One now wonders if Bret Baier's sources were Kallstrom and/or Giuliani.

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/793976393524772864

18/ Note that Baier's report repeats the claim—aired that same day by Doug Hagmann on the Alex Jones Program—that rogue federal law enforcement agents refused to destroy evidence they were supposed to destroy. This (alleged) fact gave life to the True Pundit Hoax of "new" emails.

19/ Don's interest in the Clinton Foundation case is longstanding: it was the reason he met with Kremlin agent Veselnitskaya at Trump Tower in June 2016. So if Giuliani and/or Kallstrom was feeding this disinformation to FNC, they created a Trump-FNC echo chamber *very* quickly.

20/ Note: Wherever I've written "Wiener" in this and/or other threads, I of course mean "Weiner." (Unfortunately, I studied the late great author John Wieners in my PhD program—so I tend to instinctively put the "i" before the "e." I'll endeavor to be more careful in the future.)

NOTE/ ATTENTION to the members of Congress who questioned Erik Prince recently: please recall that the point at which he threatened to storm out of the room and end his testimony was the point at which you asked him to *name his sources* for the True Pundit Hoax. *Remember that*.

1/30/2018 10:43 AM
Posted by cccp1014 on 1/30/2018 10:41:00 AM (view original):
Lower level people sure but the higher level people had a different view. As I understand it. Again, I didn't care until I saw the video of that congressional hearing. If the memo illuminates more on that I want to see it. If it is regarding something else I am still curious but I care less.
The one where Jim Jordan says, "My hunch" to begin it all?
1/30/2018 10:45 AM
I will repeat if the Memo released illuminates more on the video that I posted, that to me was riveting then I want to see it otherwise I still do but not as much. Why is that so hard to comprehend? Please explain.
1/30/2018 10:45 AM
Posted by The Taint on 1/30/2018 10:45:00 AM (view original):
YES!

His hunch = educated guess. I want to see if he is right. Why is that so wrong in your eyes?
1/30/2018 10:46 AM

House Speaker Paul Ryan told reporters Tuesday he is in favor of the public release of a memo, which alleges the FBI abused its surveillance tools, but said he is telling GOP House members that there needs to be separation between those allegations and the special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation.

"I think because of all the loose political rhetoric floating around here, we need to make sure we explain that there is a separation between these things," the Wisconsin Republican said. Asked if he was delivering that message to his conference, some of whom have pointed to the memo as reason to disband the special counsel probe altogether, Ryan answered: "Yes."
1/30/2018 10:47 AM
Posted by cccp1014 on 1/30/2018 10:46:00 AM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 1/30/2018 10:45:00 AM (view original):
YES!

His hunch = educated guess. I want to see if he is right. Why is that so wrong in your eyes?
I thought you weren't into speculation? That's what his hunch is.
1/30/2018 10:47 AM
Posted by cccp1014 on 1/30/2018 10:45:00 AM (view original):
I will repeat if the Memo released illuminates more on the video that I posted, that to me was riveting then I want to see it otherwise I still do but not as much. Why is that so hard to comprehend? Please explain.
The memo was written by Nunes. Might as well be Hannity writing it.
1/30/2018 10:48 AM
This is Funny:

Like most Democrats, Pelosi is freaked out by the House vote on Monday to release a four-page memo that outlines allegations that former president Barack Obama's Justice Department and his hand-picked minions at the FBI abused a surveillance program in order to spy on President-elect Donald Trump.

On Monday, she got into a heated argument with Chris Cuomo, an anchor at Dem-friendly CNN. When asked about the memo, she called the document a "total misrepresentation" and said it should be reviewed by intelligence officials before it is made public (which the House on Monday voted to do).

At one point, Cuomo asked Pelosi why FBI Director Christopher Wray has not objected to the release of the document. Pelosi lost it. "Let me just say this with all due respect, you really don’t know what you’re talking about right now," she said spat at Cuomo, then proceeded to stammer and stutter her weak reasons why the memo should not be released.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26512/pelosi-turns-stuttering-stammering-mess-over-joseph-curl

1/30/2018 10:48 AM
Did you watch the Pelosi video? That's heated and freaked out? Hahaha. She does some stammering but I chalk that up to her being old.

Look at how incoherent Trump is unless he's talking with a teleprompter. He's old also.
1/30/2018 11:05 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...28 Next ▸
FISA Memo Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.