World Rankings 2018 Topic

I agree.
8/13/2019 7:34 PM
Posted by mchales_army on 6/13/2018 6:30:00 PM (view original):
It isn't a "flaw in the method" at all. As far as "actual league quality" that is certainly in the eye of the beholder.

The rankings are heavily weighted towards parity, which has been sorely lacking.
That is also the reason that I posted rankings for the wait time and turnover alone.

JaBO scores better than most in both of those categories, but had the 5th worst parity score.

There is one team in that world which has won 110 or more for 9 straight seasons. That same team has won 5 of the 10 WS titles, and only 2 other teams have ever made the WS from that NL. From the AL is a team with 9 straight 100 win seasons which has made 4 WS appearances winning 2.
There have only been 5 franchises in 10 seasons who have managed to best one of your 4 juggernauts to make a WS appearance.

On the other side is a team which has never won more than 79 and has lost 100+ for 7 consecutive seasons now.
And another which has lost at least 92 every single season.

Being only 10 seasons removed from a merger is certainly playing a factor I am certain.

Note that this most recent season had two teams face off in the WS who had never been there before, and the one most egregious juggernaut has apparently finally run out of steam as they only won 99 last season.
So it would seem that the balance is starting to shift and maybe more parity is due in the next few seasons.

Again, the quality of a world can be determined many ways.
This particular method is primarily focused on parity, and is only a 4 season snapshot, which may or may not reflect more poorly or more favorably than a world's "typical" season.
Parity? What’s parity?
8/14/2019 6:21 AM
Some people use this list to list there world as "elite" . Just thought it was worth noting that this list means chit currently.
8/15/2019 5:08 PM
For sure. One of the worlds listed as "very good" is on the verge of merging.
8/15/2019 5:24 PM
would be so cool for somebody to rank the worlds again
8/21/2021 12:24 PM
It was an amazing undertaking but it’s a tooooooon of work.
8/22/2021 12:40 PM
What if we divide/conquer? If a handful of us were interested in running this again maybe we could all volunteer to collect the pertinent information from (I don't know? 10-20?) worlds. I'd certainly be willing to do it, but we'd need someone who knew what they were doing to manage the master.
8/23/2021 12:16 PM
Posted by dw172300 on 8/23/2021 12:16:00 PM (view original):
What if we divide/conquer? If a handful of us were interested in running this again maybe we could all volunteer to collect the pertinent information from (I don't know? 10-20?) worlds. I'd certainly be willing to do it, but we'd need someone who knew what they were doing to manage the master.
I'm also willing to help, and have the formula from an (abandoned) attempt at this last year while I had extra time during the pandemic...I got through a good chunk (with help from one other person) but I definitely think it would be better if we had a bigger group working on it.
8/24/2021 7:16 PM
That would be helpful. Reading the original grid a bunch of the stuff I know how to get, but there were a few things (like days to rollover) that I wasn't even sure how to determine.
8/24/2021 11:36 PM
My guess would to be pick a young player and see what days his contract renewed on? That would give you the days you rolled over on right? Also, I'd be willing to chip in as well.
8/25/2021 11:22 AM
Posted by pray4pro on 8/25/2021 11:22:00 AM (view original):
My guess would to be pick a young player and see what days his contract renewed on? That would give you the days you rolled over on right? Also, I'd be willing to chip in as well.
Yep, that's how I was doing it...and then I used timeanddate.com to help me calculate the number of days between the two dates.
8/25/2021 1:26 PM
Should be some points for an active World Blog, which Plumpy Rules!!!!!!1111 has. Don't know how to score it but I think it helps raise the quality of the experience.
9/1/2021 11:43 AM
Cobbfather has quite an active blog as well with multiple posts a season - 26 in our recent Season 48 alone. 19 the season prior (S47). https://cobbfather.blogspot.com/
9/2/2021 1:17 AM
I can guarantee these have changed by quite a bit!
9/6/2021 6:26 PM
The rankings are getting an update by @bruinsfan911 and I. Stay tuned.
8/18/2023 10:24 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
World Rankings 2018 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.