FBD's 2000th Team Celebration ~The Party's Started Topic

Posted by dcates on 8/6/2020 9:32:00 PM (view original):
Gotta spot for me?
Always room for you. I hope you have room for a virtual Claim Jumpers 6 layer chocolate cake
8/6/2020 11:16 PM
Two years ago my dad took me to Claim Jumpers for my birthday and got me a slice of this cake. It was so ginormous and fudgy. It took me three days to eat it.

I was living with him in Sacramento at the time taking care of him because he fell walking his 2 Miniature Schnauzers. He broke his hip. That was the beginning of the end I am sorry to say. He was 86 at the time and in better shape than I am now at 66. He was so active before the accident; gardening, woodworking in his shop in back of his double wide mobile, walking his dogs twice a day and fishing from his patio boat in the Sacramento River.

He stopped doing anything and sat in his recliner all day. In less than a year he went from a cane to a walker to a power chair. I have 4 younger brothers and my middle brother sold his home in Eureka last fall and bought a home in Sacramento with an attached apartment for my dad and his dogs. Dad kept going downhill. He was rushed to the hospital 3 times for pneumonia and congestive heart failure. The hospital sent him home the last time to my brother's house saying there was nothing left to do. He died at age 88 in January with his 5 sons and daughter around him.
8/6/2020 11:37 PM
I would consider it an honor to be a part of your league. I am a life long Baseball fan myself especially of my Reds! I also greatly resemble your name!
8/7/2020 1:55 AM
Hey FBD, I wouldn't miss this celebration. 1 Joined 2002, 2 born 1948, 3 in NY, 4 no brothers, I'll find some, 5 graduated HS 1966, Father born 1925. Let me have some of that No sugar added cake.
8/7/2020 2:40 AM
Posted by forte4him on 8/7/2020 1:55:00 AM (view original):
I would consider it an honor to be a part of your league. I am a life long Baseball fan myself especially of my Reds! I also greatly resemble your name!
The A's are my team. My name began as reference to a motorcycle I no longer own. Now I am beginning to resemble it as you say.

It early here in NorCal. How about some virtual panCAKES

8/7/2020 9:58 AM
Posted by TBill7 on 8/7/2020 2:40:00 AM (view original):
Hey FBD, I wouldn't miss this celebration. 1 Joined 2002, 2 born 1948, 3 in NY, 4 no brothers, I'll find some, 5 graduated HS 1966, Father born 1925. Let me have some of that No sugar added cake.
It wouldn't be a party without you, my friend. As requested here is your virtual healthy cake. Is that an oxymoron?

8/7/2020 10:04 AM
Would love to be in and here is my favorite cake for your enjoyment:

8/7/2020 10:14 AM
Joined 2007
Born 1967
Connecticut
Graduated 1985
Dad born 1946
8/7/2020 10:19 AM
Posted by ejstockman on 8/7/2020 10:14:00 AM (view original):
Would love to be in and here is my favorite cake for your enjoyment:

Glad to have you. I have heard of B.Y.O.B. Now we have "Bring Your Own Cake'. Once the Celebration begins we will have an old fashion Cake Walk. That's like musical chairs with cake. No you don't sit on the cake, silly!
8/7/2020 10:38 AM
Count me in...

Although, I'm more a pie guy than a cake guy..
8/7/2020 10:52 AM
According to my profile, I joined 2003 – Wow, that’s disappointing. You’d think I’d be better at this game by now
Born 1963
In San Jose, CA
Graduated high school in 1980
My dad was born in 1941, and was promptly put in a concentration camp by FDR
I’ve seen MLB in Candlestick, the Oakland Mausoleum, PacBell and all iterations of whatever they’re calling it this week, the BOB in Arizona, Fenway Pahk, Dodger Stadium , and the Big A in Anaheim (where I poured out a 2-liter soda bottle at the foot of a guard who wouldn’t let me bring it in)
8/7/2020 11:05 AM
I'm In Mike.

Born in Brooklyn on May 14, 1948 . . . . . an historic day . . . . after about 2,000 years, Israel became a State/Country again.
Lived in South Bronx . . . a 20 minute walk to Yankee Stadium . . . . . . At about 6 - 7 years old, Dad gave me a Duke Snider glove . . . Dad was a White Sox fanatic so I guess that's why I got a Dodger glove and not a Yankee one.
Thrown out of 2 high schools so, I didn't graduate in a class . . . would have be '66 (got GED in USAF in '67). I'll go with my scheduled '66 grad year.
Dad, born in Greece, was a stowaway on a Greek Ship . . . Captain almost tossed him in the Atlantic when he appeared a few days after starting their trip to the USA . . . he had to jump into the Gulf of Mexico before the ship docked . . . Dad swam to shore, Port Galveston Texas, which is where he states he was born on my birth certificate . . . . longer story but I'll stop. Dad was born in 1901 (passed in 1962)....
I came south in '75 spending 10 years in Jax, FL and now in metro Atlanta since '84.
8/7/2020 12:15 PM
I lost count, but will take a spot (and cake) if you still have room...

Joined - 2002 - though I've come and gone a few times over the years. Just came back during COVID after a 6+ year absence.
Born - 4/26/1971
Place - Ft. Monmouth, NJ (Army base, dad was enlisted for Vietnam) - but I have lived pretty much my entire life in MA.
Graduated - 1989 Cardinal Spellman HS in Brockton, MA (home of Rocky Marciano and Marvin Hagler - though they went to public school)
Dad - born June 11, 1945

I'm one of 6 myself (3 boys, 3 girls in alternating patterns like the Brady Bunch - I'd be Peter). Never played Little League or organized baseball - but plenty of wiffle ball!. Started collecting baseball cards in 1977 I think - and still my favorite decade of baseball to this day (including WIS). Really got into the statistical side when I learned Strat-O-Matic (when we weren't playing D&D - nerd) and later on Bill James' Baseball Abstract. Ballparks attended - only a few - Fenway (dozens of times), Wrigley and Camden Yards.
8/7/2020 5:03 PM (edited)
I'll get in . Hard to pass this one up . Born in Salinas , California on Oct. 17 , 1938 , my father was born in 1894 . ( passed away in 1955 ) .
Joined the Navy 2 weeks after turning 17 , didn't finish H.S. . got my G.E.D. in 1957 . Joined in 2001 .
8/7/2020 2:22 PM
My friends and I, through HS, College, and until we got married recreated many baseball season playing APBA Baseball.

Count me in, you need more fat.

On site 2002
Born 1949
In PA
Graduated College 1971 Go Nova
Dad Born 1914 He was WW2 vet who passed on his love of ball to his only child.He also died the day before I turned 16. Like many vets he was a heavy smoker.
8/7/2020 4:47 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...8 Next ▸
FBD's 2000th Team Celebration ~The Party's Started Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.