Patch notes - February 18th, 2021 Topic

I'm not sure that any advantage that new players get from AAA players for the fatigue cushion isn't offset by experienced owners knowing how to skimp on PA and IP because of that cushion. A new owner is just as likely to draft a full team of 650+ PA hitters and have extra PAs as be fatigued, in my experience.

That said, I do think the cap needs to be raised to compensate, or salaries should be retooled to assume no AAA is the default.
2/22/2021 8:15 PM
Posted by bripat42 on 2/18/2021 9:30:00 AM (view original):

"Adjusted injuries:

• "Off-field injuries have been limited to short to medium term injuries

• "Slightly reduced frequency of long term injuries that impact player attributes long term"

I'm very disappointed to see that you're caving in to the whiners and the crybabies who are better off playing 1990s Nintendo baseball than a realistic sim. Injuries are already so rare and unimpactful in this game, it is absurd. Now, it's going to be "slightly" even more absurd. It already is common to see owners set 5-man rotations and/or 8- or 9-man lineups on opening day and never touch either of them all bleeping season long -- because they don't have to. This announcement will encourage even more owners to stop giving a $#!& about roster depth or their bench and to pour all of their resources into 16- or 17-man rosters.

Disagree. Injuries are part of the game, sure. However, Long term injuries happen way too often to players with an INJ over 90. Season ending non play related injuries are ridiculous and shouldn't even be part of the game. I've had it happen twice to a key player deep into a playoff run. Non baseball injuries have no place in HBD.
2/22/2021 10:30 PM
with regards to AAA players i have voiced my concerns, including unopened email to @adlorenz.

the simplest way i can put it, is that with the 6/2 AAA players you could get away with drafting 17 players of a 25 man roster with 4800 PAs and 1200IP. that means those 17 players would be on average worth $4.611M ($80M - (2 x $0.2M) = $78.4M / 17 players). then as an added bonus you would get the AAA players that are worth lets say $1.5M each or ~$12M or about a $90M roster (+ $1.6M of waiver Wire player(s) )

Now without AAA you need to draft 25 players with $80M which would be an average value of $3.2M per player. so what this change has done is a) make it harder, b) provide new players less wiggle room for error, c) devalued the game play, d) in my opinion made it less fun

simple answer to a non problem was just name the AAA players. or increase the cap to $90-$100M. this is a "what if" fun simulation. People join (and stay) to see how Ken Griffey Jr hits off of Christy Mathewson, and can Tom Seaver strike out Fernando Tatis Jr; not will a .278 avg hitter from the 1948 tigers grind out a single vs a LH #4 starter from the 1983 SF Giants.

AAA players, and how experienced GMs use them in OL might be a problem (i don't see it); but why make it harder and less fun for new (and hopefully) repeat customers?
2/23/2021 4:05 PM
sorry should be $4.611M ($80M - (8 x $0.2M) = $78.4M / 17 players)
2/23/2021 4:06 PM
And one of the biggest complaints is that Griffey is only hitting .230 with 23 HRs in an OL. Raising the cap, even with factoring in aaa, would only make that problem worse. New owners frequently leave because they view their first experience as unrealistic. The higher the cap, the bigger that perception becomes.

The most realistic cap is around $65m.

That said, realism isn’t the only factor. Players also want to be able to use their favorite players and some stars or HOFers. A $75-80m cap is a great balance for this. Personally, I think OLs at $70-75m with no AAA would be the ideal range for new owners to learn the ropes.

From there, they can transition into Champs, themes, or progressives, as they desire based on what types of players and leagues they prefer.

Aside from that, the AAA players aren’t nearly as valuable as you’re giving credit for, and the only owners drafting 4800 PA and 1200 IP are experienced owners who know how to take advantage of AAA. New owners are following the recommendations and drafting 5400+ and 1400+, and hey don’t need or use the AAA in any way that is advantageous to them in the first place.

This change really does balance out fairness to new owners and will likely go a long way towards retention and transition into and growth of themes and progressives (the best part of SLB anyway).

2/23/2021 4:31 PM
Where is the "replace owner" function? I have looked in all of the usual commissioner places.
2/24/2021 4:19 PM
Posted by Rock_Harders on 2/23/2021 4:05:00 PM (view original):
with regards to AAA players i have voiced my concerns, including unopened email to @adlorenz.

the simplest way i can put it, is that with the 6/2 AAA players you could get away with drafting 17 players of a 25 man roster with 4800 PAs and 1200IP. that means those 17 players would be on average worth $4.611M ($80M - (2 x $0.2M) = $78.4M / 17 players). then as an added bonus you would get the AAA players that are worth lets say $1.5M each or ~$12M or about a $90M roster (+ $1.6M of waiver Wire player(s) )

Now without AAA you need to draft 25 players with $80M which would be an average value of $3.2M per player. so what this change has done is a) make it harder, b) provide new players less wiggle room for error, c) devalued the game play, d) in my opinion made it less fun

simple answer to a non problem was just name the AAA players. or increase the cap to $90-$100M. this is a "what if" fun simulation. People join (and stay) to see how Ken Griffey Jr hits off of Christy Mathewson, and can Tom Seaver strike out Fernando Tatis Jr; not will a .278 avg hitter from the 1948 tigers grind out a single vs a LH #4 starter from the 1983 SF Giants.

AAA players, and how experienced GMs use them in OL might be a problem (i don't see it); but why make it harder and less fun for new (and hopefully) repeat customers?
Can't have it both ways. If you got an entire team of All Stars or near all stars, then you're going to have Griffey batting .230 with 20HR while Seaver has a 4.50-5.00 ERA. The more the cap goes up, the further from real life stats both pitchers and hitters will have.

I also see frequently complaints about how it's impossible that someone as great as Jim Palmer would have a 5.50 ERA, well if he was facing the equivalent of the NL All Star team every start he probably would. The reverse is true for hitters, how could A-Rod bad .250 with 20 HR when in real life he would hit over 300 with 40+? Well, if every team had a rotation of Kershaw, Pedro, and Randy Johnson etc. and a bullpen consisting of 4 or more pitchers of the quality of Mariano Rivera, he probably would be lucky to hit that high.

It's not making it harder or easier, but it will make it more realistic.
2/24/2021 4:37 PM
I have always advocated for a no trade open league option that still has AAA players.
2/24/2021 10:16 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 1234
Patch notes - February 18th, 2021 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.