LEAVE MY ELEVATOR ALONE Topic

its bidness
5/22/2018 12:01 AM
Sorry bob, my efforts to conduct a civil exchange with you are apparently not allowed.
5/22/2018 9:08 AM
dino has made it clear that this thread is to bash DJT and to push the Leftist agenda. He does not hide it. No reason to debate here.
5/22/2018 9:29 AM
Posted by crazystengel on 5/21/2018 11:54:00 PM (view original):
How do Trump supporters rationalize the Bezos/Amazon stuff? I guess since the fake news media is the enemy of the American people (Trump really said that), and Bezos owns one of the biggest and fakest media outlets (WaPo), everything is fair game where Bezos is concerned?

And while I'm here, how do Trump supporters rationalize this? (I love that one of the clowns involved served time on a pedo conviction in the Czech Republic.)
Its the old Standard Oil Company argument:

Last year, “in the United States alone, on average 1 retailer failed every 12 minutes. Five failures per hour, 24 hours per day, 365 days per year” according to a piece published by the Retail Owners Institute written by Patricia M. Johnson and Richard F. Outcalt.

Here’s how we can measure Amazon’s toll on jobs: in fiscal 2015 the company recorded U.S. sales of $107 billion and employed 180,000 people in the country. That works out to $594,000 per employee.Trump slams Amazon: What's behind the feud?

By comparison, Walmart employs about 1.5 million people in the U.S. and generated 2016 revenues here of $298 billion, or $199,000 per employee. Macy’s worldwide figure is about $171,500 per employee.

For smaller firms, the sales per employee would be lower. As Amazon has taken market share, the number of employees needed to produce the same retail revenues has dropped significantly.

And as Amazon has moved into many more categories of goods, more brick and mortar retailers have fallen by the wayside. This trend is hollowing out small towns, eviscerating shopping malls and putting thousands out of work.

Many argue that nothing could have prevented this shift in how consumers shop, and that is probably true. Amazon has changed the retail landscape forever by offering shoppers unprecedented convenience; the company has brilliantly built a dedicated and loyal clientele.

In the beginning, however, legislators could have, and should have, erected speedbumps to slow the devastation. A decade ago, Amazon was not collecting state and local taxes on its sales, giving the company a significant advantage over brick and mortar retailers.

The edge created by not collecting state and local taxes approached 10 percent in states like Louisiana and Tennessee. And as consumers became expert at instantly comparing prices, that sales tax difference loomed large.

The advantage could have been eliminated had officials demanded that all retailers collect sales taxes. But Congress, as usual, failed to act on bills meant to level the playing field, such as the Main Street Fairness Act.

By the time Amazon was shamed into paying state and local sales taxes, as it now does on all but third-party sales, it had gained enough scale to lower its cost of operations, giving it an even greater edge.

It wasn’t just competitors that were harmed by the sales tax disparity; it was also the states and localities that lost out on significant revenues. This argument should have pushed Congress to act: the loss of sales tax revenues from online shopping robs states and localities of much-needed funds, which are often replaced by measures like lotteries or taxes on sweetened beverages or tobacco, which are unquestionably regressive.

Of course, not only did legislators whiff on the sales tax issue, they actually gave Amazon another competitive advantage, by pushing to raise the minimum wage. Companies with proportionately higher numbers of employees, like local mom-and-pop outfits, suffer as pay moves higher, while Amazon feels little pain.

Bottom line: President Trump is about a decade late. Had he been in office years ago, he might have slowed Amazon’s ascent and allowed smaller firms to compete more effectively.

Today the president’s most effective weapon against Amazon’s meteoric advance, and a tame one at that, would be raising the company’s shipping fees.

The president’s claim that taxpayers are subsidizing Amazon’s low postal rates is buttressed by a research note published last year from Citigroup. That report concluded that “by charging below market rates on parcel volume (mainly eCommerce) the Post Office has essentially turned free shipping into a future tax payers’ burden.”

The analysis scrutinized the fully-loaded costs of shipping by the Postal Service, taking into account its large accumulated benefits requirements for retired workers, and concluded that “average parcel rates would need to increase ~50% initially to break even.”

President Trump can (and should) demand the Postal Service investigate this charge and, if it is true, raise rates to make Amazon pay the full costs of its deliveries.

Overall, however, there is not much the president can do to staunch the bleeding of traditional retailers. For those of us who value the advice we get from the local hardware store owner or a salesperson in a clothing store, who hate the demise of neighborhood stalwarts, and who sympathize with those whose businesses simply cannot compete, that’s a darned shame.

5/22/2018 9:39 AM
richard goodwin who was a presidential aide to jkf and lbj as well as a great historian as well as husband of doris kearns goodwin has passed away.
5/22/2018 2:59 PM
What's with the death stuff lately, dino? Casting a bit of a pall over the thread, no?

5/22/2018 3:23 PM
democracy dies in darkness.
death by chocolate.
5/22/2018 3:25 PM
Good read from The Atlantic:

Trump’s Business Schemes Warrant Their Own Investigation

Still, it is striking how many Republicans are more concerned with the possibility that Mueller is exceeding his mandate than they are with glaring evidence that the president and some of his closest associates are crooked hucksters who saw the White House as their latest opportunity to earn money unethically.

Yup.
5/22/2018 3:26 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 5/21/2018 11:54:00 PM (view original):
How do Trump supporters rationalize the Bezos/Amazon stuff? I guess since the fake news media is the enemy of the American people (Trump really said that), and Bezos owns one of the biggest and fakest media outlets (WaPo), everything is fair game where Bezos is concerned?

And while I'm here, how do Trump supporters rationalize this? (I love that one of the clowns involved served time on a pedo conviction in the Czech Republic.)
broidy is a big ugly fatso friend of trump...there is rampant speculation that it was trump not him that caused a bunny to need an abortion..it was cohen that did a 1.6 million payoff.
5/22/2018 3:28 PM
are we entitled to believe that the democratic party would not defend a probable traitor and the campaign the way the republicans in congress are.
5/22/2018 3:29 PM
we dont respect the dead enough and we need to celebrate people who have contributed so much esp lesser known people.
5/22/2018 3:31 PM
Yeah, I read about the abortion theory. Seems possible, but at the same time wouldn't crack the Top 1000 for Trump transgressions (even among his evangelical supporters, who are pretty darn generous with the "mulligans").
5/22/2018 3:33 PM
the weird part was the alacrity and openess with which broidy confirmed the story.....he is married......the theory is not far fetched.
5/22/2018 3:36 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 5/22/2018 3:23:00 PM (view original):
What's with the death stuff lately, dino? Casting a bit of a pall over the thread, no?

a few weeks i really felt sick.
5/22/2018 3:36 PM
Posted by dino27 on 5/22/2018 3:31:00 PM (view original):
we dont respect the dead enough and we need to celebrate people who have contributed so much esp lesser known people.
There's a conservative writer, Mark Steyn, who used to write for The Atlantic, very elegant yet quirky obits of famous and not-so-famous people who led interesting lives. Great stuff, they were even collected in a book.
5/22/2018 3:41 PM
◂ Prev 1...463|464|465|466|467...530 Next ▸
LEAVE MY ELEVATOR ALONE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.