Savage II Commentary Thread Topic

Posted by benhoidal on 8/14/2020 9:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ashamael on 8/14/2020 9:50:00 PM (view original):
Now if we could get Ben absolutely smashed near the next turn, we might have a chance!
If my guy is still there at my pick it will seem like I’m drunk.
8/14/2020 9:57 PM
It might seem crazy but I needed guard minutes and Gervin has 5 playable seasons. He has good D (yet Russell doesn’t...), and great usage+eFG. He just can’t pass but luckily I have a couple of good passing non-guards like Noah so I think I can make it work.
8/14/2020 9:59 PM
Posted by dBKC on 8/14/2020 9:59:00 PM (view original):
It might seem crazy but I needed guard minutes and Gervin has 5 playable seasons. He has good D (yet Russell doesn’t...), and great usage+eFG. He just can’t pass but luckily I have a couple of good passing non-guards like Noah so I think I can make it work.
I don't hate it. I just don't love it. Luckily, it doesn't matter what I think!
8/14/2020 10:10 PM
I mean I don’t really love it either tbh
8/14/2020 10:12 PM
Damn. John Henson. I was hoping he'd fly under the radar a bit further.
8/14/2020 10:14 PM
Ash, you'll be happy to know that I typed O'Quinn's name, deleted it, typed Ray's name, deleted it, then typed O'Quinn back in.

Ray is a better pick than O'Quinn - and a very good value here - but due to my picks earlier in the draft I thought I needed more post defense. So you're the lucky beneficiary of that. Ray fits very well behind Lucas, and in a couple seasons probably starting ahead of him, as he would have with Unseld.
8/14/2020 10:42 PM
I almost picked Ray as well but I’m drunk and picked Gervin, who wasn’t even on my list that I made when I was sober
8/14/2020 10:51 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 8/14/2020 10:43:00 PM (view original):
Ash, you'll be happy to know that I typed O'Quinn's name, deleted it, typed Ray's name, deleted it, then typed O'Quinn back in.

Ray is a better pick than O'Quinn - and a very good value here - but due to my picks earlier in the draft I thought I needed more post defense. So you're the lucky beneficiary of that. Ray fits very well behind Lucas, and in a couple seasons probably starting ahead of him, as he would have with Unseld.
Yeah, I thought Ray was a great fit on your squad, which was why I was like, "Don't fuckin' do it!"

But I also really, really like O'Quinn on your squad. I had him ready to go if you took Ray, but I really, really wanted Ray. I would have taken him last round, but I decided I needed to get the one guy with 20% usage, 55%+ efg, and 60+ defense left to back up Howard while I still could.
8/14/2020 10:55 PM
Posted by dBKC on 8/14/2020 10:51:00 PM (view original):
I almost picked Ray as well but I’m drunk and picked Gervin, who wasn’t even on my list that I made when I was sober
8/14/2020 10:56 PM
Ash, all these post picks suggest that you're playing Bridges exclusively at SF. I don't love it. His best season is 98% there, which is probably close enough, but how many other good seasons does he have that are SF eligible? Given the massive boards you get from Howard/Lucas (now adding McGee/Ray) I thought you had the perfect hole for a low-usage, high-efg% guy like Otto Porter or Marvin Williams. I know you like to prioritize rebounding advantage, and have been very successful doing it, but I feel like the Bridges pick unnecessarily sacrificed a lot of efficiency (and positional effectiveness) to get the boards.

'Splain yo self! (Or don't, it's a free country!)
8/14/2020 11:23 PM
Okay, kid and wife are in bed, house is clean and the dog is walked. Cracking a beer now. Who is ready to annoy half the league in this thread tonight?
8/14/2020 11:29 PM
If I say something like "I'm excited about my team," that does not mean "my team is going to destroy everyone's, kneel before Zod." It means "I feel like the plan is going well. If I knew I would get Marvin Williams in the 8th, I wouldn't have questioned Cheeks at all. I could be totally wrong, but yeah, I'm happy"

With that said, I'm excited about my team. Please don't hurt me.

Why? Doesn't matter, more of a status update than anything.

(Did I know I would get Marvin when I picked Westbrook? No - honestly, I thought I was going to pick Majerle and McGee. grumble. anyway, yeah. Might say one or two other things when the team is complete, but otherwise, yeah, I've written enough here)

(and I thought I would have to take Marvin on the 5/6 turn, so yeah, happy to get him here)
8/14/2020 11:46 PM (edited)
Posted by tarheel1991 on 8/14/2020 11:23:00 PM (view original):
Ash, all these post picks suggest that you're playing Bridges exclusively at SF. I don't love it. His best season is 98% there, which is probably close enough, but how many other good seasons does he have that are SF eligible? Given the massive boards you get from Howard/Lucas (now adding McGee/Ray) I thought you had the perfect hole for a low-usage, high-efg% guy like Otto Porter or Marvin Williams. I know you like to prioritize rebounding advantage, and have been very successful doing it, but I feel like the Bridges pick unnecessarily sacrificed a lot of efficiency (and positional effectiveness) to get the boards.

I have gathered from different conversations with the both of you that ash is more cavalier about position effectiveness and you are among the most conservative about it.
8/14/2020 11:31 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 8/14/2020 11:23:00 PM (view original):

I don’t mind explaining at this point. Bridges has five seasons of 97% sf, 20%+ dreb, 60+ def, 2900+ minutes at relatively low usage. I did not prioritize boards at all last time and got destroyed in almost every league. This time I will have close to if not over 100% drb in every league’s starting five. Last season I only had one squad even at 90.

Do I want to start him all five years? Nah. But he gives me the flexibility to grab some one or two season dudes later on and feel comfortable if those guys aren’t still there. I don’t like starting scorers at 97% out of position normally, but a dude with 14% usage that’s just there to rebound? Sure.

With four picks left, I can literally get four one season dudes and have more than a full rotation. Bridges gave me that. Bridges was insurance. If he ends up being the weak link, so be it.
8/14/2020 11:35 PM
Also: enough boards (enough anything) in this league doesn’t exist. It’s uncapped. Go for broke. One of my big mistakes in the first version was building a team with what I thought was enough boards & dimes.

I was wrong and finished like 15th
8/14/2020 11:38 PM
◂ Prev 1...46|47|48|49|50...132 Next ▸
Savage II Commentary Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.