ESPN HOF ballot revealed. Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 1/7/2014 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by masterdebate on 1/7/2014 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/7/2014 11:38:00 AM (view original):
Posted by masterdebate on 1/7/2014 11:14:00 AM (view original):
So, universally, you are in favor of being able to shut down a debate when one side thinks the other side are idiots and retain the right to call them that?
Do I actually have the power to do that? I wish someone told me before.
Its an ethical theory proposed by Immanual Kant, the Categorical Imperative. To find whether an action is moral, imagine a world where everyone does said act. If everyone cheated on their taxes, for example, would not make a good world.

So imagine a world where everyone could shut down any conversation and say the other side are idiots. I'm guessing you wouldn't want to live in that world.

I can call someone an idiot but it doesn't actually shut down the debate. As evidenced by all the times I've called mike and tec and biz idiots (and vice versa).

This is your answer:

"Here, I'll explain it to you.   While I don't think it's possible to be "bullied" on the internet, some disagree. 

You make a statement and follow it with "and anyone who disagrees is obviously an idiot who doesn't understand baseball."

So the dissenting voice has to say "Do I really want to argue this point and be insulted the entire time?" because that's what's going to happen. 

And there you have it."

Some people do not.  Obviously, you, me, tec, biz and any number of other WifS users do want to argue the point despite being insulted the entire time.  Nonetheless, it's naive to believe far more don't. 
1/7/2014 1:08 PM
Oh my god you ******* quoted yourself again.

Please stop quoting yourself, mike. You aren't exactly James Joyce or Plato.
     signed,
        everyone on earth.
1/7/2014 1:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/7/2014 1:05:00 PM (view original):
I don't think it's inappropriate.   But you can't compare an elected official to a sportswriter/reporter with a HOF.   At least not legitimately.
Why not?
1/7/2014 1:13 PM

You don't like it because it's true.    Stop ******* making definitive statements while adding "anyone who disagrees is an idiot" and I'll stop quoting myself.

Deal?

1/7/2014 1:14 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/7/2014 1:13:00 PM (view original):
I don't think it's inappropriate.   But you can't compare an elected official to a sportswriter/reporter with a HOF.   At least not legitimately.
Why not?
Because it's retarded.   And anyone who disagrees must be a ******* retard. 
1/7/2014 1:15 PM
You know what's fun? When you're away from the forums for a few days and see a new thread that looks interesting, and it turns out it's a thread about this.  Yay.

FWIW, is it possible that Gomez thinks both Moose and Morris are HOFers but recognizes Mussina has more time on the ballot than Morris does, so Morris gets the vote?
1/7/2014 1:17 PM
ALL HOF threads turn out this way.   Haven't you noticed?
1/7/2014 1:18 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/7/2014 1:17:00 PM (view original):
You know what's fun? When you're away from the forums for a few days and see a new thread that looks interesting, and it turns out it's a thread about this.  Yay.

FWIW, is it possible that Gomez thinks both Moose and Morris are HOFers but recognizes Mussina has more time on the ballot than Morris does, so Morris gets the vote?
That is absolutely possible. Unfortunately, Gomez doesn't explain why he does what he does. Which is his right, as is my right to continue to believe that Gomez is a moron.
1/7/2014 1:20 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/7/2014 1:15:00 PM (view original):
Why not?
I disagree and I'm not a retard.

See?
1/7/2014 1:20 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/7/2014 1:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/7/2014 1:15:00 PM (view original):
Why not?
I disagree and I'm not a retard.

See?
Most retards don't know they're a retard.   Requires a level of thought-processing that they're incapable of.

Sorry.
1/7/2014 1:24 PM
Yeah, but I'm positive I'm not retarded and that fact has been independently verified. So...what now?
1/7/2014 1:29 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/7/2014 1:18:00 PM (view original):
ALL HOF threads turn out this way.   Haven't you noticed?
You're right.
1/7/2014 1:31 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/7/2014 1:29:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, but I'm positive I'm not retarded and that fact has been independently verified. So...what now?
Humor us, please, and post the "independently verified" test results.
1/7/2014 2:02 PM
Posted by masterdebate on 1/7/2014 3:52:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/6/2014 11:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by masterdebate on 1/6/2014 7:54:00 PM (view original):
Last time. Your position is "I'm right, Pedro Gomez disagrees with me and is therefore an idiot." If everyone held that anyone who disagreed with them is an idiot, we wouldn't get very far.
Are you MikeT's new mini-me? You're clearly arguing for the sake of argument in this thread. Whether or not you agree with how bad_luck phrases his disagreement, you have not offered one argument in support of Morris being better than Mussina. If you want to say "Morris is better because he won 3 rings and Mussina won none", then you may have an argument.

Bad_luck is clearly saying Mussina had a better career and it's baffling how someone can vote for Morris and not Mussina. And I agree. Does that make Gomez an idiot? Not necessarily, but it would be nice if he provided some insight as to how he came to how he came to see Morris as HOF worthy and Mussina not.
Where are you getting that I'm supporting Morris over Mussina?

I'm taking the position that the position "my guy is better than your guy and you're an idiot if you don't agree with me" is an untenable position for discussion/debate. I started by quoting a guy who voted on the Hall of Fame (Sullivan) having that exact position. He even went so far as to say that that particular conversation is strident and doesn't further the actual conversation. I agree. Bad_luck disagrees.

You can hold Mussina is better than Morris. You can hold Morris is better than Mussina. But you should not hold "you're an idiot if you don't agree with me." It more or less renders the conversation moot, and if everyone held the position that anyone who disagreed with them was an idiot, well, nothing would ever get done.

It may be untenable in this case, but not always. If I say "Mark Reynolds is the greatest 3B who ever lived!", I'm an idiot. There's no defending that, even if I truly believe it's accurate.

Using statistics, it's very hard to argue Mussina had a worse career than Morris. I won't call someone an idiot if they say Morris is better, but I'm curious to hear the logic, because it seems pretty cut and dried who had the better career.
1/7/2014 2:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/7/2014 10:14:00 AM (view original):
Do you at least understand that "This is right and anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot" can be a discussion stopper?
This is rich. You use that line of defense more than anyone on this site.
1/7/2014 2:25 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...34 Next ▸
ESPN HOF ballot revealed. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.