Some Baseball Trivia Questions Topic

Posted by redcped on 4/8/2019 1:46:00 AM (view original):
Not one of his great sports songs. I'd rank Hurricane at the top, followed by Who Killed Davey Moore.
Agreed.
4/8/2019 2:35 AM
Name two MLB managers mentioned by Charles Schulz in his "Peanuts" comic strip.

No one going to venture a guess?
4/8/2019 12:18 PM
Casey Stengel and Leo Durocher?
4/8/2019 12:20 PM
I don't know about Leo Durocher, but I checked on Google and nothing came up.

I've got an old (published 1959) Peanuts collection and Casey Stengel's name appears quite a few times.

The other manager I'm thinking of was mentioned in the last ever Peanuts strip about baseball.
4/8/2019 12:27 PM
Just guesses, although I always think of Peanuts as being an older strip than it was.....Earl Weaver? Tony Larussa?
4/8/2019 12:50 PM
His managing years overlapped nearly exactly with La Russa's.
4/8/2019 12:57 PM
Tom Lasorda?
4/8/2019 1:08 PM
Given that Stengel was a manager of great Yankee teams, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the overlap with TLR that he would name would be Torre.
4/8/2019 1:17 PM
Joe Torre is correct.

I couldn't find any Tommy Lasorda/Peanuts connection online, but I did find this undated strip which could have appeared when Ted Williams was managing in Washington.
4/8/2019 1:22 PM
That's great!
4/9/2019 5:48 AM
4/9/2019 1:25 PM
here is an interesting bit of trivia told to me by a former Cardinals AAA mgr about Musial: If you are a Cardinal fan you might remember George Kissell. Kissell was one of those guys who was around an organization in some capacity for decades... if only just to be at spring training every year. Well he told the following story about Musial to my acquaintance:

Musial was down in spring training and had not shown particularly well that spring. They had in those days the last pow wow to see who was going to be assigned where and who was going to be released. The brain trust came to the conclusion that Musial was not a good prospect... no real foot speed and no arm and his funky peek a boo batting stance was unconventional and didnt lend itself to big league success... or so they thought. The consensus was to release him.

Kissell spoke up and said he needed an extra arm on the barn storming trip up north to the home of the minor league team he managed in PA for the redbirds. Apparently Musial had pitched a bit in his HS days. In any event, Musial was from PA and could use the help getting home on the team's dime.

The powers that be acquiesced and the rest as they say is history.... Musial got a few key hits and Kissell kept him on the team. Just that close to perhaps never being heard of in baseball history... one of the all time greats.
4/11/2019 5:10 PM
Who was the first professional baseball player to hit 60 or more home runs in two seasons and the only one to do so before Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire?
4/12/2019 6:06 PM
And as a corollary to the question above: Whose all-time single season professional baseball home run record did Barry Bonds break in 2001?
4/12/2019 6:12 PM
Posted by italyprof on 4/12/2019 6:12:00 PM (view original):
And as a corollary to the question above: Whose all-time single season professional baseball home run record did Barry Bonds break in 2001?
Joe Bauman (72 in 1954 in the low minors)
4/12/2019 6:25 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
Some Baseball Trivia Questions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.