Does anyone still want HD 2.0 back? Topic

In current recruiting, "Top 100" players should NOT be automatically unlocked.

Instead, on the Scouting Service map, next to the International Players circle, there should be an additional circle labeled "Top 100 Recruits".

Because if I'm coaching D1 San Francisco, I'd like to scout overseas via my Assistant Search. But i hate wasting money having to get to Level 4 with Top-100 recruits on the East Coast who i will never be able to sign, in order to clear the path for my Level 4 recruiting in Cameroon and Italy. There's like an upfront $18k fee in a sense to scout internationally.

And not just Internationals... maybe there's a hidden gem guy rated in the 200's from New York, that prefers playing "Far From Home", but again i have to pay an $18k cover charge for the ability to search and recruit the guy.
5/6/2020 8:43 AM (edited)
Posted by cubcub113 on 5/5/2020 2:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 5/5/2020 2:03:00 PM (view original):
There was a thread awhile back asking what everyone's favorite part of HD was - start of season, start of recruiting, postseason, job change (AB90 )

It kind of blew me away how many people said recruiting was their favorite and how few said start of postseason. Didn't make much sense to me since the entire point of the game is building a team and put it in action against the best of the best (presumably) in the tourney. But different strokes I suppose.
Where was this?

I'm totally Team Recruiting by the way. The postseason is insanely exciting when you make a run just often it just stresses me the **** out!
I understand the "stresses me out!" regarding the NT. But that's part of the fun! Recruiting stresses me out also. But not because it's fun. Its work. I hate having to check over and over. I hate investing effort and leading on a recruit alone for 15 cycles and someone steals the player in 2 cycles. (Of course that's a "choice" of mine to recruit talented players that other want. But you get my drift)

If I had the same 12 players every season, and no recruiting, I'd still play every single day. And enjoy it.

If I had to recruit every season, and there was no NT, and it was nothing but recruiting and regular season, I'd suffocate myself and end it all haha.
5/6/2020 11:16 AM
Posted by topdogggbm on 5/6/2020 11:16:00 AM (view original):
There was a thread awhile back asking what everyone's favorite part of HD was - start of season, start of recruiting, postseason, job change (AB90 )

It kind of blew me away how many people said recruiting was their favorite and how few said start of postseason. Didn't make much sense to me since the entire point of the game is building a team and put it in action against the best of the best (presumably) in the tourney. But different strokes I suppose.
Where was this?

I'm totally Team Recruiting by the way. The postseason is insanely exciting when you make a run just often it just stresses me the **** out!
I understand the "stresses me out!" regarding the NT. But that's part of the fun! Recruiting stresses me out also. But not because it's fun. Its work. I hate having to check over and over. I hate investing effort and leading on a recruit alone for 15 cycles and someone steals the player in 2 cycles. (Of course that's a "choice" of mine to recruit talented players that other want. But you get my drift)

If I had the same 12 players every season, and no recruiting, I'd still play every single day. And enjoy it.

If I had to recruit every season, and there was no NT, and it was nothing but recruiting and regular season, I'd suffocate myself and end it all haha.
DII recruiting isn't that fun for me but I love DI recruiting. Low DI recruiting is the best.
5/6/2020 1:24 PM
Posted by mullycj on 5/5/2020 9:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/5/2020 4:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/4/2020 10:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mullycj on 5/2/2020 9:36:00 PM (view original):
Id like 1.0 back. No potentials.

Build your team as you want to. Not as realistic but more fun.
This is my position to a tee.
the problem with 1.0 was... actually, i can't think of anything. i loved 1.0. what was the whole point of 2.0 anyway??
Where you around in the beginning when you couldn't even schedule your own non-conf games?
Some teams had their post season doomed by random scheduling right out of the gate.
nope - i get the impression there were many early improvements, basically sounds almost like the game was 75% real and the other 25% got done later, like the splitting of shooting into lp and per and the addition of fatigue subs. kinda what you'd expect with any game from a small shop really - i don't mean the 75% real thing in a negative way, at all. by the time i got there, fox had acquired WIS and development on HD was basically non existent - nothing was changing - until the day 2.0 came out of course!

i was around for the late 1.0 though. i won a couple/handful (not sure) of titles before 2.0 came out, just barely before - so i was basically really late in 1.0, but just got there in time to play 1.0 enough to get to a high level and really get a feel for it, and then 2.0 came out. i loved the practice planning back then, how you could shape players however you wanted.
5/6/2020 1:36 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 5/6/2020 1:24:00 PM (view original):

Where was this?

DII recruiting isn't that fun for me but I love DI recruiting. Low DI recruiting is the best.
Do you feel low D1 is different than D2 recruiting?

The only knock I hear from people hating D2 is that they somehow feel recruiting is too "easy"? I guess? But I would think low D1, you're recruiting the exact same players, only you CAN sign them in RS1.

Am I off base here? Never played low D1.

Edit..... I'll rephrase..... I never played Low D1 since my HD brain grew. My first career had some low D1 in it. In 1.0 I think. But I was on par with sims as far as my gaming ability Haha
5/6/2020 2:07 PM
Posted by topdogggbm on 5/6/2020 2:09:00 PM (view original):

Where was this?

The only knock I hear from people hating D2 is that they somehow feel recruiting is too "easy"? I guess? But I would think low D1, you're recruiting the exact same players, only you CAN sign them in RS1.

Edit..... I'll rephrase..... I never played Low D1 since my HD brain grew. My first career had some low D1 in it. In 1.0 I think. But I was on par with sims as far as my gaming ability Haha
low d1 and d2 recruiting were never remotely like each other. for brand new d1 coaches, that's the advice a lot of us tend to give - just pretend its d2, go out and build a great d2 team to get started. but that is training wheels. low d1 teams (d range prestige) can compete straight away, s16/e8 seasons are not out of reach. thus, building a great d2 team... its just not a very high goal. once you get the hang of low d1 recruiting, you should be playing it *very* differently than d2. taking a stand early - not for out of your range players - but for in your range ones - has always been the main line route to success. there are those who do alright with the waiting game but the vast majority of the best d1 recruiters have always played it aggressively, at all levels of d1.
5/6/2020 9:54 PM
Posted by topdogggbm on 5/6/2020 2:09:00 PM (view original):

Where was this?

Low DI is a lot of fun for me. You've got to aim for a much higher level than DII if you want to be S16 level though.
5/6/2020 9:58 PM
I agree with Gil and Cub. Experienced d1 coaches definitely can and should approach it different than noob d1 coaches (or success challenged coaches to put it nicely).

Because for you Top, I'm sure you're not going to be really satisfied with 1st round exits season after season. Youre gonna want to make deep runs into the FF. Pretty difficult to do that with players that are poached from d2 teams.
5/6/2020 10:59 PM
You have to go for NC level DII guys and make a perfectly meshed team or consistently get Top 80 players in your class (sometimes ranked as low as like #150 position! I don't mean raw ranking) to get 2R-S16 consistently IMO.
5/7/2020 12:13 AM
Are you able to sign 5* guys at low D1?

I mean I guess I will find out soon for myself. I've been waiting for someone like gil to notice, but I just got my first D1 team, simply to (attempt to) prove that "D1 coaches aren't necessarily the best"! I'm at Missouri.

And I agree you're not necessarily recruiting the exact same players at low D1 as you are in D2. I just didn't assume you'd be reaching for EE talent either. I'll report back in 5 seasons or so and see how I feel about it all then.
5/7/2020 9:17 AM
Posted by topdogggbm on 5/7/2020 9:17:00 AM (view original):

I mean I guess I will find out soon for myself. I've been waiting for someone like gil to notice, but I just got my first D1 team, simply to (attempt to) prove that "D1 coaches aren't necessarily the best"! I'm at Missouri.

And I agree you're not necessarily recruiting the exact same players at low D1 as you are in D2. I just didn't assume you'd be reaching for EE talent either. I'll report back in 5 seasons or so and see how I feel about it all then.
its not about the players, its about the methods. in one scenario you are waiting to see what everyone else does, in the other you are out there bruising from the get go. but no, not on 5 star players...

good luck with d1! IMO there's an additional learning curve you don't get in the lower divisions, which is how to navigate competitive recruiting. this is a big part of what makes d1 an additional challenge, but good coaching definitely still comes through. partly the reason folks consider d1 more difficult to win titles at is simply the volume of quality coaches in d1 vs d2/d3 worlds. its not a massive difference though, when i was a younger coach i always thought the supremacy of d1 coaching was overblown (i maintain that it was). i think its actually toned down by now though. still - i definitely believe d1 presents additional challenges - and in terms of demonstrating one is one of the best at the game, it seems prudent to show versatility in your success, which is a big part of why i hold folks with d1 + lower division success higher on 'the list' than folks with equal success but only in the lower divisions. still, there's no doubt in my mind that some of the most successful lower division only guys are some of the best coaches in HD history.
5/7/2020 10:43 AM (edited)
Posted by topdogggbm on 5/7/2020 9:17:00 AM (view original):

For sure. Often you have to go into rolls but I signed two top 20 picks at C+ without rolls: Larkins and Foster.

When I got up to B- I started signing 5 stars consistently.

And you can even sign the best #100-300 overall ranked players at lower prestige. I struggled to get top guys at Idaho State but signed some super dominant players who would have almost no chance of falling DII. Top 150 Juco Drafted, Top 200 guard made Big Board, Top 200 Big, #125 guy from Hawaii. Any one of those guys would be pretty much the greatest DII player ever, but I recruited these guys from D to C+ prestige and they are clearly another level from DII. Also I was running fb/press so I had to make sure most of my guys had 100 stamina so it was even harder.

To be clear, Weber and Idaho State are great locations, I got a lot of luck to sign these guys, and I take 2 walkons per year and aim high. But I'm at SELA in Phelan and I doubt I'll be able to totally replicate the level of players I got out west in Iba and Wooden. But I better be building a better team than Elite DII.

Looking forward to see how Missouri goes top!
5/7/2020 10:47 AM
oh my bad, you are starting on a b-. i thought you were starting in low d1! missouri is a perfectly acceptable place to stay and build a dynasty. and in light of your b- not d+ or so prestige - i change my answer on the 5 stars to match cub's. doable, not in the volume of an a+, but doable. you can theoretically compete for a title straight away from that b-, you know mostly with not-5 star players, but it is tricky and many will opt to aspire for A prestige instead, which is totally fine.
5/7/2020 11:21 AM
Posted by Sportsbulls on 5/4/2020 6:43:00 PM (view original):
One thing that may affect population though... did they used to advertise HD at all? If they used to advertise it, and now they don’t, that has a lot to do with population.
no. advertisement was one of the biggest complaints throughout 2.0, and it was a big argument going into 3.0 where those that did not want change basically stated we don't need a revamped system, we need more exposure, otherwise 3.0 will suffer from losing players the same way. We all thought when FOX took over WIS it was going to be great for the game, and that the advertising platform would push HD to something more significant. Instead WIS was so low on the priority list that at best we'd get FREEHD every couple months with no advertising towards new people.
5/8/2020 3:16 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/7/2020 11:21:00 AM (view original):
oh my bad, you are starting on a b-. i thought you were starting in low d1! missouri is a perfectly acceptable place to stay and build a dynasty. and in light of your b- not d+ or so prestige - i change my answer on the 5 stars to match cub's. doable, not in the volume of an a+, but doable. you can theoretically compete for a title straight away from that b-, you know mostly with not-5 star players, but it is tricky and many will opt to aspire for A prestige instead, which is totally fine.
Thanks for the support cub and gil.

But my B- will plummet before it moves upward. I had 5 openings and I'm switching offense and defense. And I'm trying to run FB press.... and I have 8 players right now!

I have high hopes to be competitive in the long run, but I'm gonna be bad for a while. I'm not sure there's a "better" HD coach out there, who is "worse" than I am when it comes to RS2 recruiting when taking over a new team. Mix that with being one of THE worst, statistically at any level when it comes to losing rolls.... it'll be ugly for a while!

But I'll sift thru the garbage and right the ship eventually!
5/8/2020 4:55 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Does anyone still want HD 2.0 back? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.