ODL 76 Discussion Topic

Oh man, I’m starting to think my team might suck but I really don’t know why. Garmonbozia turned out to be the perfect title
6/9/2020 12:54 PM
I just cannot do this cap. Been at this for years, I feel like I'm just as lost as ever. Damn.
6/9/2020 3:45 PM
I added a real light round 6 last night. Unfortunately I am working late tonight. I will try and add team level recaps tomorrow if possible.
6/10/2020 12:28 AM
Posted by bds9992 on 6/9/2020 3:45:00 PM (view original):
I just cannot do this cap. Been at this for years, I feel like I'm just as lost as ever. Damn.
Your team isn't bad, it has some things I like. I will save my comments for the review though.
6/10/2020 12:29 AM
Since I didn't draft any 2 guards Kittles/Farmar is who I am going with. Kittles Def is 79...Gay and Nance Jr shown for convenience sake. More info for robusk's reviews...
use% 2pt % 3pt% efg orb% drb% ast%
02-03 Kerry Kittles SG 19.1 51.9 35.6 52.2 2.9 10.9 11.9
18-19 Rudy Gay SF 22.1 52.7 40.1 55.4 3.6 22.2 11.3
18-19 Larry Nance Jr. PF 15.5 55.7 33.6 55.4 9.3 23.4 14.8
09-10 Jordan Farmar PG 19.1 47.9 37.4 51.8 1 8.3 10.9
6/10/2020 12:05 PM
Hi guys!

so this is my first time playing in OD, I will post my team awaiting for your comments, sure I have much room for improvements!

here my thoughts on the team building, I wanted to build a team with a good defensive identity
Usg 2pt% 3pt% efg orb drb ast
86-87 Larry Bird SF 27.5 54.4 40.9 55.5 4.8 18.3 20.5
97-98 Charlie Ward PG 15 51.3 37.7 53.4 1.5 11.8 27.9
89-90 Billy Thompson SF 18.1 51.3 50.3 51.7 11.1 16.1 9
90-91 Hakeem Olajuwon C 25 50.7 0 50.8 10.9 26.7 7.2
16-17 Avery Bradley SG 21.9 49.8 38.8 53.3 3.7 15 8.3
18-19 Derrick White PG 17.7 51.9 33.7 52.3 2.1 12.3 17.4
94-95 Clyde Drexler SG 24.2 57.2 35.5 56.3 6 14 14.8
98-99 Shawn Bradley C 16.1 49 0 48 10.6 22 4.2
85-86 Jerome Kersey SF 22.2 55.1 0 54.9 12.2 14.1 7.5
16-17 JaVale McGee C 23.8 65.2 0 65.2 14.8 18.7 2.6
00-01 Toni Kukoc SF 24.4 50 48 56.7 3.2 13.5 23.5
88-89 Roy Tarpley PF 24.1 54 0 54.1 14 24.3 3.5

I drafted Larry Bird as I thought it was the best available player, same went with Olajuwon.

I soon realized, though, is quite tough to build with Olajuwon, he is very expensive and I could not come up with good subs using his 92-93 season.

I decided to go then with the small minutes but still 100 Defense season 90-91.

I picked then Drexler for usage - good defense, over 70%. Ward to give a defensive low usage playmaker.

Last picks: Avery Bradley: I needed a guard who could rebound decently - he has 15% DREB and hit some threes. Shawn Bradley since I wanted to play Olajuwon PF, pairing him with another defensive center with good blocks. Kersey, good usage and rebounds, although this is probably a mistake since I will have to play him some PF as well.
Derrick White was the only PG I could afford with a D value over 70 at that price. Billy Thompson, I think to play him SG as well, he has good REB values for the position (one of few players in the SIM that can play SG with OREB over 10% and DREB over 15% - good defender also)

Undrafted, I thought I needed some guys with good usage and EFG, since Olajuwon EFG is quite low. I took JaVale, great EFG and 90D, Tarpley for EFG sand rebounding and Kukoc for some threes.

This is my first time, I think at the end I am little short on 3 pointers. Except Kukoc, all my team is over 70 Defense (to this extent, can a value over 70 can be considered a good Defensive rating?). I may be short on rebounds as well, I hope my guards can grab some.

What do you think? Thanks for your suggestions!
6/10/2020 12:31 PM
I don’t have time to give a detailed breakdown for you albi, but I can say you seem to get it a lot more than most new owners and you’ll be great very soon.
6/10/2020 12:38 PM
Okay, I stayed up 30 minutes later than I wanted, but I got all team evals but one posted.
6/11/2020 2:24 AM
I'm glad I didn't get totally panned & Shawn Kemp doesn't get nearly enough love. I intend to prove this.
6/11/2020 2:51 AM

ashamael - Gobert, Rudy; Thompson, Klay; Porter, Terry; Boozer, Carlos; Moon, Jamario; Miles, C.J.; Horford, Al: Two point usage Rudy is like one of my five or so favorite players in WIS. Klay is a really efficient player but who is a little on dimensional on offense. I think Porter, along with Derek Harper, is a little overrated as PG. He is often drafted in the third round but I think he is a fourth round guard. I would adore Boozer if he had more SF effectiveness, but at least him and Gobert can swap in and out. There aren’t a lot of teams with two elite offensive bigs. Jamario Moon is a mediocre ODL staple who despite that lukewarm endorsement I feel like I have drafted a hundred times. Al Horford is secretly one of the most efficient, solid enough at defense, flexible players in WIS with several usable seasons depending on what you want. 45 – 50 wins.

Fun review! Even though I wasn't asked, I'm going to explain myself. And for reasons I can't understand, my inner monologue is going all Christopher Walken as I type this, so if you want to have some fun, read it with his voice.

I mean, I agree on Rudy. There's nothing to say! I've never got to use him before, but after I win this ring with him, he'll be my guy.

I think Klay is underrated as hell in this league (and in draft leagues in general). Not too many guys giving you 55% efg%, 80 defense, and only 7% tov% (I think AD & Matrix are the only other guys in that conversation). Yeah, he gives you nothing else, but I can't spell IDGAF any other way than K-L-A-Y! Immabe serious real quick, fast, and in a hurry: prior to the Savage draft, I had never, ever used Klay on a single team. I thought he had **** boards & **** dimes. I still think these things, but if I push this hard enough, Klay will become a god for me in the sim, and when he does, I'll be his guy. IRL I've become a HUGE fan of his, and that performance in the finals after KD got hurt (again) up until he himself got hurt cemented him as one of my all-time favorite players... so I gotta find a way to use him. I did take Chuck (my original guy) from a late 1st round pick to actually being drafted #1 overall many times so, hey, maybe I can will this into fruition as well!

To be fair, Porter was not my first (or 2nd) choice of PGs who I thought might reasonably still be there (Kyrie & Conley were my first two preferences that looked realistic on teh ADP meter - really thought I could get Nance + Conley when I studied said adp & last five drafts but that blew up like a reporter using a racial slur while at a protest (which may or may not have happened last week (it happened))), but at this point I was pretty certain I'd get Booze in round 4 (I looked at the positional needs of the guys between my picks) and (who gives a **** - easiest thing to find in this sim is a small forward) in round 5, so I didn't mind being committed to a **** rebounding back court. Tier 4 usage + 58% efg% + 26% ast% + less than 15% tov% at point guard + 60 def? It's like a less ****** Steve Nash (who is also my guy). Yes, I'll take. Thank you. I won a ring with TP as my point guard once in the ODL; time to do it again. He's my guy. Also, I've got a ton of threes already in the back court, I'm not super focused on trying to find a SF that shoots them.

Like I said, I was reasonably sure Booze was gonna be there in four, and since I had Gobert and no team with two offensive bigs scared me, yeah, I'll take his 56% efg% / 12% tov% / 11% ast% or whatever with almost 30% drb%. He's even decent enough at SF (90%) defensively to hide there if need be. 90% of 29.3% drb is still high AF. Booze has brought me a ring in the ODL before, so, yeah, he's my guy.

Moon is super clean tov%, decent drb%, great defense at three positions; even hits a few threes... yeah. Was never my guy, ya know, but I have won a ring in the ODL with him, so actually, yeah, he's my guy, too.

Horford is the almost the perfect backup for Booze. I was shocked he was still around, as he has starter level seasons. Miles is the perfect backup for Klay. Actually Redd is (he is very definitely my guy), but I wanted Miles defense. I really wanted George Hill (totally my guy) but Darrell f'ed that up for me. Thank you, Darrell.

Prediction: 59 wins!

Or maybe 39.

But it's definitely going to end in a 9.

Or another number.

:D
6/11/2020 3:13 AM
20ks - Abdul-Jabbar, Kareem; Brand, Elton; Williams, Deron; Calderon, Jose; Stoudemire, Amare; Fortson, Danny; Redick, J.J.: This is an interesting team. If you are using the best seasons of each player, I have you waaaaaaaay over on usage. If you are not using the best seasons of each player then, well, you are not using the best seasons of each player in a league where you try to build a good team using good seasons of players. I have your rebounding numbers looking pretty good, your eFG% is in the upper half, your assists are good, your turnovers are solid and defense seem at least fine. All that being said, those assumptions are built around the best seasons which you can’t afford. I am guessing you will be using sub-optimal seasons and have a really crappy bench. Going to guess you are a 30 – 35 win team.

I feel like I did pretty well last season for an ODL debut, but that led me to believe I had a little better grasp on things than I actually do. Doing the Savage draft and an inaugural draft for a progressive at the same time as this proved to be fatal. I had a game plan, but lost it pretty early and then panic-picked Elton Brand because everyone seems to love Elton Brand, except he didn't fit anything I was hoping to do. I couldn't afford Stoudemire when I was thinking about taking him in the 4th round and yet I went ahead and took him in the 5th. My bench is hopeless. I do not have enough minutes. I think 30 wins is a pipedream this time around.
6/11/2020 3:36 AM

jackedjamie - Whiteside, Hassan; Nash, Steve; Mutombo, Dikembe; McMillan, Nate; Biyombo, Bismack; Beaubois, Rodrigue; Moreland, Eric: Total disregard for fouls and turnovers, probably not enough threes, but does everything else at an elite level. I am not sure how much more I can say about this team. 33 – 38 wins.
Well...that went better than I expected lol
Considering that my team was built around 1 guy in mind that doesn't get drafted(or not lately anyways) and 1(I had 2 choices) more starter that didn't get drafted. My draft could be a little misleading.
But hey, once you find out who I built my team around the eval might be worse hahaha
6/11/2020 7:27 AM
I think ash’s team looks incredibly good and I’m not looking forward to playing it eight times.
6/11/2020 8:54 AM
I don't expect much from this team. My goal was to pick up another 1st and focus on the Savage draft while this draft went through the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
6/11/2020 9:44 AM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 6/11/2020 8:54:00 AM (view original):
I think ash’s team looks incredibly good and I’m not looking forward to playing it eight times.
Yeah there is a reason I had him at the bottom of my division rankings. It is probably the best offensive team in the league.
6/11/2020 9:46 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...11 Next ▸
ODL 76 Discussion Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.