FBD's 2000th Team Celebration ~The Party's Started Topic

Posted by ejstockman on 8/7/2020 10:19:00 AM (view original):
Joined 2007
Born 1967
Connecticut
Graduated 1985
Dad born 1946
So many baseball memories (meeting Seaver when I was 5 and immediately being cursed as a life long Mets fan, being at Yankee Stadium to watch the Sox put the dagger in the 2004 Yanks...) but here is a great baseball story. First time in San Fran. Gorgeous June day. 75 degrees. Hit the links at the Presidio Golf Course after my deposition (I'm a lawyer). Decide to go to a game. Head to Pac Bell. Shorts and a polo shirt. I'm in the concession line and I see all these people with jackets and ski hats and blankets. Hmm I think. Must be thin skinned out here. By the 4th inning its 50 degrees. Mist is coming in off the water, pouring into right field like it was smoke from dry ice. Everyone around me is bundled up like the Meadowlands in December. I end up having to buy more Giants gear than I ever wanted just to last the game. Priceless. Best concessions at a ballpark in the US btw.
Ballparks -- Shea, Citi, Yankee II and III, Fenway, Pac Bell, AT&T, Memorial in Baltimore, Municipal in Cleveland, Jacobs Field, Camden Yards, Veterans, US Cellular, Dodger, Minute Maid, Comiskey
8/7/2020 4:42 PM
If you have room I would love to join. I was born the same year you were and grew up collecting cards and playing ball every day with my two brothers and cousin Dave who lived next door. My uncle played minor league ball and taught us to play. Playing catch with him was fun but he threw the damn ball so hard. Catch it or die was in the back of my mind when he tossed the ball around with us kids.

born in 54
joined in 2009
birn in illinois
dad born 1928
graduated in 72
8/7/2020 5:00 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 8/7/2020 10:52:00 AM (view original):
Count me in...

Although, I'm more a pie guy than a cake guy..
I did pie in a previous theme but the customer is always right. Here is my Dad's favorite pie, virtual Dutch Apple Pie

8/7/2020 6:40 PM
Posted by Tucker T's on 8/7/2020 12:15:00 PM (view original):
I'm In Mike.

Born in Brooklyn on May 14, 1948 . . . . . an historic day . . . . after about 2,000 years, Israel became a State/Country again.
Lived in South Bronx . . . a 20 minute walk to Yankee Stadium . . . . . . At about 6 - 7 years old, Dad gave me a Duke Snider glove . . . Dad was a White Sox fanatic so I guess that's why I got a Dodger glove and not a Yankee one.
Thrown out of 2 high schools so, I didn't graduate in a class . . . would have be '66 (got GED in USAF in '67). I'll go with my scheduled '66 grad year.
Dad, born in Greece, was a stowaway on a Greek Ship . . . Captain almost tossed him in the Atlantic when he appeared a few days after starting their trip to the USA . . . he had to jump into the Gulf of Mexico before the ship docked . . . Dad swam to shore, Port Galveston Texas, which is where he states he was born on my birth certificate . . . . longer story but I'll stop. Dad was born in 1901 (passed in 1962)....
I came south in '75 spending 10 years in Jax, FL and now in metro Atlanta since '84.
Now the party can really start. Tom is in the house. Here is some virtual Peach Cake for a transplanted Georgia Boy

8/7/2020 6:43 PM
Posted by BCBSMA on 8/7/2020 5:03:00 PM (view original):
I lost count, but will take a spot (and cake) if you still have room...

Joined - 2002 - though I've come and gone a few times over the years. Just came back during COVID after a 6+ year absence.
Born - 4/26/1971
Place - Ft. Monmouth, NJ (Army base, dad was enlisted for Vietnam) - but I have lived pretty much my entire life in MA.
Graduated - 1989 Cardinal Spellman HS in Brockton, MA (home of Rocky Marciano and Marvin Hagler - though they went to public school)
Dad - born June 11, 1945

I'm one of 6 myself (3 boys, 3 girls in alternating patterns like the Brady Bunch - I'd be Peter). Never played Little League or organized baseball - but plenty of wiffle ball!. Started collecting baseball cards in 1977 I think - and still my favorite decade of baseball to this day (including WIS). Really got into the statistical side when I learned Strat-O-Matic (when we weren't playing D&D - nerd) and later on Bill James' Baseball Abstract. Ballparks attended - only a few - Fenway (dozens of times), Wrigley and Camden Yards.
I worked for Wonder Bread in the Bay area for over 30 years and went to hundreds of games in the Oakland Coliseum and Candlestick Park when I was a sales manager. I had to take grocery chain bigwigs to games. Also been to Angel Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Jack Murphy and the Kingdome. I was born in Upper Michigan and my cousin's family had season tickets to the Milwaukee Braves games. I saw Hank Aaron play a dozen times. Been to Busch Stadium and Wrigley Field. But I would truly love to see Fenway. Thanks for joining. Here is some virtual Boston Cream Pie (which is really cake).

8/7/2020 7:08 PM
Posted by brucel on 8/7/2020 2:23:00 PM (view original):
I'll get in . Hard to pass this one up . Born in Salinas , California on Oct. 17 , 1938 , my father was born in 1894 . ( passed away in 1955 ) .
Joined the Navy 2 weeks after turning 17 , didn't finish H.S. . got my G.E.D. in 1957 . Joined in 2001 .
I am truly honored to have you join my little celebration. First and foremost thank you so much for your service. My dad was in the Air Force during the Korean War and my father in law was in the Navy during WWII. The only lottery I ever won was when I turned 18 and drew number 360. Thus avoiding Viet Nam. I lost too many kids I grew up with in that war and even the ones who came home were forever changed.

Your team will definitely have some different players. Here is some virtual Apple Sauce Cake

8/7/2020 7:23 PM
Your mention of Statis Pro Baseball alone makes me think this is a league I should join.
8/7/2020 7:23 PM
Posted by fatguyrd on 8/7/2020 4:47:00 PM (view original):
My friends and I, through HS, College, and until we got married recreated many baseball season playing APBA Baseball.

Count me in, you need more fat.

On site 2002
Born 1949
In PA
Graduated College 1971 Go Nova
Dad Born 1914 He was WW2 vet who passed on his love of ball to his only child.He also died the day before I turned 16. Like many vets he was a heavy smoker.
Must have been really tough losing your dad at that age. I am a big guy with a high metabolism and not much fat (love handles don't count). I only weigh 4 more pounds than I did 20 years ago and can still wear the same clothes. Fatboy is a Harley I owned almost 25 years ago when I got my first email account with AOL. Fatboy Slim was just becoming popular then and my son came up with FatBoyDad.

This called a Pumpple Cake and is actually a hybrid of cake and pie. 1800 calories per slice

8/7/2020 7:47 PM
Very tough, even with roughly a years notice. At 15 I just hoped it wouldn’t happen.unfortuantely I am about 65 pounds heavier then when I got married ((1974). The last 20 Ibs came since the lockdown for. COVID. Two knees that I should have replaced 5 years ago prevent most exercise. So I got fatguy the old fashion way.
8/7/2020 8:18 PM (edited)
I'd really like to play in your league, celebrating a huge milestone! Congrats!!!

Baseball was my first sport I played and watched. Then, many I became interested in many other sports, and they were great, but baseball has always been #1. And now, baseball is about all I watch. Just yesterday, at the age of 62,I played over-the-line. Too many errors, too many late jumps, too many sore muscles, too much fun. Played and ran a fantasy league for 29 years . . .the virus put that on hold for this year. Loved Earl Weaver Baseball . . .man, that was a blast, as was Strat-O-Matic baseball.

I was a WIS virgin up until 2007.
Born in 1957 in California (still live there, one hour from where I was born). Dodger fan all the way. Saw Don Drysdale break Walter Johnson's record for consecutive scoreless innings.
Graduated in 1975.
Dad was born in 1920, served in the Pacific during WWII. Basketball and Track & Field were his sports (got my love for baseball from my brother).
8/7/2020 8:12 PM (edited)
Would like to join if there's an opening! Stay safe and be well!

1.) Joined site in 2017.
2.) Born in 1989.
3.) Born in New York.
4.) Graduated NYU in 2011.
5.) Dad was born in 1956.

8/7/2020 8:38 PM
Posted by winnetka1 on 8/7/2020 5:00:00 PM (view original):
If you have room I would love to join. I was born the same year you were and grew up collecting cards and playing ball every day with my two brothers and cousin Dave who lived next door. My uncle played minor league ball and taught us to play. Playing catch with him was fun but he threw the damn ball so hard. Catch it or die was in the back of my mind when he tossed the ball around with us kids.

born in 54
joined in 2009
birn in illinois
dad born 1928
graduated in 72
There are a lot of us class of 1972 guys in here. Here is one of my favorites for you, virtual poppy seed bundt cake
8/7/2020 8:59 PM
I was busy all day watching my one year old great grand daughter. Got behind and now have 26 friends wanting to join in. I need to rent a bigger hall and disband current league and open 30 team league. I hope no one minds. I hate to turn any one away. I will send out site mail with new League #.
8/7/2020 9:48 PM
30 teams would be fun!
8/7/2020 10:07 PM
Posted by ballsweatsux on 8/7/2020 7:23:00 PM (view original):
Your mention of Statis Pro Baseball alone makes me think this is a league I should join.
Interesting handle you have there. I once had a team in Coors Field I named "Our Balls are Humid". I guess that's not the same thing.

Here is your virtual angel food cake...it is heavenly.

8/7/2020 10:20 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
FBD's 2000th Team Celebration ~The Party's Started Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.