[CANCELED] Increasing Salary Draft, 2018 Topic

I have remained silent throughout cause as the owner most likely to finish 24th I’m just happy to be here. My vote would be for whatever keeps the tournament going. If certain owners keep their word and storm
off than I wouldn’t want that.

I think the easiest thing to do would be scrap the draft in favor of a new theme and extend the final deadline 1 week cause I know some expressed issues with meeting the deadline, but I believe if you have all 6 by the final deadline there’s no penalty. Just two cents from the least valuable opinion haha
11/11/2018 12:50 PM
Few things:
  • Some people have said the rules didn't change. They did. Penalty points went from 5 to 25 minus current round. That was huge and not something voted on. If that change didn't happen, folks like myself and Buddha would be able to go back and take penalties without completely blowing ourselves out of the water, and wouldn't have been compelled to make ridiculous trades.
  • Saying that some of us are purposely "threatening the integrity of the tournament" is unwarranted and unfair. I feel horrible that I wasn't smart enough to figure out that all expensive players would be gone by round 16, but it happened, so all I could do is try to protect my interests (i.e., not be forced into 50+ penalty points)
  • Suggestion: Keep this theme, but rewind back to round 3, 4, or 5 before all hell broke loose, and no trading. The draft would go into December, we'd probably want to skip Thanksgiving,etc, but it's an option.
  • I hope folks who said they wouldn't do this tournament next year would reconsider. Mistakes happen.
  • Ozo should be commended for putting this great tournament together and making this difficult decision.
11/11/2018 12:52 PM
Not sure if we're still going, but just in case

2014 Felix Hernandez. $9337143
11/11/2018 1:01 PM
And for the record, there are fewer players more expensive than King Felix than remaining picks. And a lot of owners are at higher salaries than me. If we do continue there is another crisis approaching.
11/11/2018 1:03 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not going to just up and quit at this point. Whatever happens happens...

I'll just chalk it up to bad luck + allowing in draft trading + huge penalties = non-enjoyable experience.
11/11/2018 1:07 PM
I would like some clarification and advice if possible. After making the idiotic trade with ozomatli that became suicidal (there have been 48 picks made since my last selection) after it helped to trigger the madness that has ensued over the last few days, I have been left in a position where I need two more hitters. Unless I am mistaken, the only hitter still available above the level of my last selection is he-who-must-not-be-named. Is buddhagamer's interpretation of this situation correct, i.e. must (insofar as it is the only rational option) I just go ahead and take pitchers until that single player is taken, and then reach back to take hitters to fill my gaps? Does it matter that I need two hitters, and only one is available? I just want to make sure that I am understanding our settled interpretation and enforcement of the "rules" properly.
11/11/2018 1:08 PM
Posted by brianjw on 11/11/2018 1:03:00 PM (view original):
And for the record, there are fewer players more expensive than King Felix than remaining picks. And a lot of owners are at higher salaries than me. If we do continue there is another crisis approaching.
I won’t be at my computer for a few hours but can someone confirm this is the case?

If true, and everyone will essentially be receiving penalty points except for a few owners, I’m going to make the decision to cancel this theme regardless of the poll results for the sake of the tournament.
11/11/2018 1:12 PM
"he-who-must-not-be-named"

May I please have the name?

"My vote would be for whatever keeps the tournament going. If certain owners keep their word and storm
off than I wouldn’t want that."

I feel the same way.

"And for the record, there are fewer players more expensive than King Felix than remaining picks. And a lot of owners are at higher salaries than me. If we do continue there is another crisis approaching."

For myself, I may have to draft at least 1 more, maybe 2 or 4 more, players out of salary order.

I'll continue to the end if I have to, but I'll need to finish with a total of like 30 or 40 penalty points. I'm ok with that, if that's the direction we are going.

I'm ok with any other direction as well.

Thanks for the hard work OZO.
11/11/2018 1:18 PM
jmissirlis and I welcome you to our club!

Technically this is correct, that you legally can't take he-who-must-not-be-named with a pick until likely very late (since you can't roster all the players behind him and still have a roster under 255M). Since we can't take a voluntary penalty, we have to sit and wait taking pitchers until he goes off the board at which point we'll have to take a HUGE penalty by jumping over all these pitchers PLUS all the hitters. I have only to do this once, you unfortunately will have to do it twice. Unless Ozomatli clarifies this differently (at which point, I might want to change my last selection).

Maybe perhaps since you need two you can take 1 immediately but that's up to ozo to decide.

[Edit] I think crystalao, based on where your last salary is at approximately 8.6M, you should be able to find 1 available hitter still so keep looking.

[Edit2] Not any more (see below). Welcome to the club again.
11/11/2018 1:40 PM (edited)
1989 Howard Johnson $9,261,364
11/11/2018 1:37 PM
Thanks buddha!
Missed the boat, yet again.

2009 Tim Lincecum $8,869,602
11/11/2018 1:47 PM
Posted by ozomatli on 11/11/2018 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by brianjw on 11/11/2018 1:03:00 PM (view original):
I won’t be at my computer for a few hours but can someone confirm this is the case?

If true, and everyone will essentially be receiving penalty points except for a few owners, I’m going to make the decision to cancel this theme regardless of the poll results for the sake of the tournament.
Brianjw is correct. Just as I pointed out in my comments, most of us will take penalty points at the end. It was inevitable from the start.
11/11/2018 1:51 PM
Now that I think about it, why was mdc2276 allowed to roster Yadier Molina (technically he could roster any hitter into the catcher position and there was still a vast number of eligible hitters available at that time) That doesn't seem to be fair... Would it be any different than to say I need a 2B and since said player doesn't play 2nd base I should be able to of picked immediately?
11/11/2018 1:57 PM
my 2pm meaningless pick

1997 Ken Griffey Jr. $8,945,705
11/11/2018 2:00 PM
Posted by bothways on 11/11/2018 2:00:00 PM (view original):
my 2pm meaningless pick

1997 Ken Griffey Jr. $8,945,705
Oops... sorry about that crystalao, missed one but I guess its moot anyways.
11/11/2018 2:04 PM
◂ Prev 1...51|52|53|54|55|56 Next ▸
[CANCELED] Increasing Salary Draft, 2018 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.