Mike Trout Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 11/5/2015 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Tec, I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what "an out is an out" means.

All hitters make outs. How they made those outs doesn't matter. How often they make them does. You're looking at Trout and saying, "see, his K rate went down and his OBP went up."

No ****.

He made outs less frequently.

He didn't put more balls in play and OBP/SLG isn't a measurement for "productive" outs. Like I said from the start, Trout wasn't trying to trade his K's for other types of outs. He was trying to avoid outs.

I know exactly what your insistence of "an out is an out" means.  I just disagree with the premise.

NOTHING GOOD offensively results from a strikeout.  There is a 0.0% chance of an offense increasing it's chances to score runs when a batter strikes out.

You go on and on about the "disastrous" double play possibility as a justification for "strikeouts are better than . . . ".  I believe that is more than offset by the positive things that can happen on balls in play, whether they be hits, errors, or productive outs that advance runners.

Complacently accepting strikeouts as "just another kind of out" is foolish, and arguing that the increase in strikeouts has not had an adverse affect on offense is idiotic.

Of course, if you ever watched baseball and had a fundamental understanding of the game, you would realize that.
11/5/2015 1:24 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/5/2015 1:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/5/2015 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Tec, I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what "an out is an out" means.

All hitters make outs. How they made those outs doesn't matter. How often they make them does. You're looking at Trout and saying, "see, his K rate went down and his OBP went up."

No ****.

He made outs less frequently.

He didn't put more balls in play and OBP/SLG isn't a measurement for "productive" outs. Like I said from the start, Trout wasn't trying to trade his K's for other types of outs. He was trying to avoid outs.

I know exactly what your insistence of "an out is an out" means.  I just disagree with the premise.

NOTHING GOOD offensively results from a strikeout.  There is a 0.0% chance of an offense increasing it's chances to score runs when a batter strikes out.

You go on and on about the "disastrous" double play possibility as a justification for "strikeouts are better than . . . ".  I believe that is more than offset by the positive things that can happen on balls in play, whether they be hits, errors, or productive outs that advance runners.

Complacently accepting strikeouts as "just another kind of out" is foolish, and arguing that the increase in strikeouts has not had an adverse affect on offense is idiotic.

Of course, if you ever watched baseball and had a fundamental understanding of the game, you would realize that.
Yikes, you're just a hurricane of stupidity.
I know exactly what your insistence of "an out is an out" means.

Do you? Because, when you say this, "...balls in play, whether they be hits, errors, or productive outs that advance runners," it makes me think that you don't.
NOTHING GOOD offensively results from a strikeout.
Correct. Just like almost all other outs, nothing good happens. 

You go on and on about the "disastrous" double play possibility as a justification for "strikeouts are better than . . . ". 
I'm not justifying anything. I would certainly prefer that my team's hitters never make outs, including strikeouts. I want my hitters to get hits and walks and score a lot of runs. Making outs impedes that. But I have a functioning brain. I know that hitters make outs and do it often and, depending on the situation, certain outs are better/worse than others. It's not hard to see that the vast majority (over 90%) of outs don't impact these certain situations.

An increase in outs has absolutely reduced offense. How the out is made hasn't had the same effect. We know because we can compare every team's run scoring over the last 100 years and every team's strikeouts over the last 100 years and see that there is no correlation.

Here's a fun game. Every time you type strikeout, replace the it with pop out and see if your feelings change. See look:
Complacently accepting pop outs  as "just another kind of out" is foolish
NOTHING GOOD offensively results from a pop out
There is a 0.0% chance of an offense increasing it's chances to score runs when a batter pops out.
11/5/2015 1:46 PM
Here's a very simple question, requiring only a yes/no answer:

Do you think that hitters would be more productive if they struck out less?

11/5/2015 2:01 PM
He struck out 26% of the time in 2014, 23% in 2015 and became a more productive player.   I think those were his goals.   I'm sure, had he struck out less and became less productive, that dahsluck would have found some correlation. 
11/5/2015 2:03 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/5/2015 2:01:00 PM (view original):

There is no simple yes/no answer to that.

If they make less outs, they will be more productive. If they swap strikeouts for outs in play, they won't be.
11/5/2015 2:03 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/5/2015 2:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/5/2015 2:01:00 PM (view original):

There is no simple yes/no answer to that.

If they make less outs, they will be more productive. If they swap strikeouts for outs in play, they won't be.
For individual hitters, that might be true.

For all MLB hitters as a whole . . . yes or no?
11/5/2015 2:17 PM
As a whole, a reduction of outs would be more productive. A change in type of outs would not.
11/5/2015 2:23 PM
Did I ask about type of outs?

So as a whole, it would be in the best interests of MLB hitters to reduce their strikeouts and put more balls in play.  You agree with this statement?

11/5/2015 2:30 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/5/2015 2:31:00 PM (view original):

So as a whole, it would be in the best interests of MLB hitters to reduce their strikeouts and put more balls in play.  You agree with this statement?

We're talking about types of outs.

It would be in the best interests of MLB hitters to reduce their out rates. How they make the outs that do happen, doesn't matter.
11/5/2015 2:31 PM
An out is an out? Then why are there stats for sacrifice hits and sacrifice flies? Aren't those...productive?????
11/5/2015 2:33 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/5/2015 2:31:00 PM (view original):

It would be in the best interests of MLB hitters to reduce their out rates. How they make the outs that do happen, doesn't matter.
You're talking about types of outs.  I'm not.

Agree or disagree: it would be in the best interests of MLB hitters to reduce their strikeouts and put more balls in play.

11/5/2015 2:33 PM
Sometimes I feel ignored :'^(
11/5/2015 2:34 PM
here's the situation: a man on second with no outs.
1.If a batter grounds out to first, the player on second will most likely advance to third where a fly ball out could score him.
2. If the batter strikes out, the runner on second is not going anywhere and a fly ball out will not score him.

How is #1 not more productive than #2?
11/5/2015 2:34 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 11/5/2015 2:34:00 PM (view original):
here's the situation: a man on second with no outs.
1.If a batter grounds out to first, the player on second will most likely advance to third where a fly ball out could score him.
2. If the batter strikes out, the runner on second is not going anywhere and a fly ball out will not score him.

How is #1 not more productive than #2?
Dropped 3rd strike!!!!! But what are the chances of those. But haven't teams won when getting no-hit. Error (putting ball in play) steal 2nd. Groundout to the right side (putting ball in play/ out) then a sac fly (putting ball in play/ out) but hey, an out is an out
11/5/2015 2:38 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/5/2015 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/5/2015 2:31:00 PM (view original):

You're talking about types of outs.  I'm not.

Agree or disagree: it would be in the best interests of MLB hitters to reduce their strikeouts and put more balls in play.

You realize that strikeouts are a type of out right?

It would be in the best interests of MLB hitters to reduce the outs they make.
11/5/2015 2:39 PM
◂ Prev 1...56|57|58|59|60...65 Next ▸
Mike Trout Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.