Lowly Mid-Major takes over Camp World. Again. Topic

I'd you never win recruits from elites you're doing something wrong. On a regular basis not only do I win recruits from elites with midmajor UCF but I also lose recruits from my Elites to other BCS schools.

The game is designed to give Elites a prestige edge but that edge is usually blown way out proportion.
8/13/2010 10:42 AM
Posted by vhoward415 on 8/13/2010 8:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dublinuf on 8/12/2010 11:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by vhoward415 on 8/12/2010 3:51:00 PM (view original):
What I find funny about some coaches who criticize is this..........try ignoring the 'name' of the team and instead look at the roster makeup. If a coach recruits well and is patient, he can build a stacked roster at any school......doesn't matter if it is 'elite', 'bcs', or 'non-bcs'. Trying looking at the rosters of the teams instead of focusing on the conference affiliation.

For the most part, JConte has this game setup to rank his version of 'elites' high at the beginning of each season whether they deserve it or not. Notre Dame (his favorite school) certainly wouldn't be ranked in the top 3 of Camp at the beginning of next season without this setup. As it stands now, Central Florida could win 20 titles in a row and I don't see them being preseason #1 at any time during that run. They must rely on good recruiting, good gameplanning, and a very strong SOS to have a shot at a title.

If anyone still wants to whine about it, try getting some guys to man up and fill up your conference. I for one would love to see the type of 'chaos' we'd create if all D1 conferences in Gridiron Dynasty were full of humans.
You  couldn't do this at a BCS conference. People would get fired. The threshhold is lower at the Non BCS
What's your point? Get coaches to take over the teams that open after firings......the teams should be easier to fill in that scenario because they'll have human recruited players. The alternative is to sit at elites, schedule easy OOC, collude for recruits with your buddies, and run away when things aren't going your way.
Did you just accuse me of colluding Vince for no real reason?

I think the Power Conference USA is a great idea. I think it worked, especially for ebel who was there before everyone got there. I think ebel deserved to play for the National Title both years, and I don't begrudge him anything.
8/13/2010 10:55 AM
And I think that team and coach prestige is almost entirely based on past 4 seasons with most recent getting most weight. So you will still find an uphill battle against elites that are already established, but you can close the gap significantly with a few winning seasons. You're not fighting an impossible race against the elites entire history.
8/13/2010 10:56 AM
Posted by dublinuf on 8/13/2010 10:55:00 AM (view original):
Posted by vhoward415 on 8/13/2010 8:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dublinuf on 8/12/2010 11:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by vhoward415 on 8/12/2010 3:51:00 PM (view original):
What I find funny about some coaches who criticize is this..........try ignoring the 'name' of the team and instead look at the roster makeup. If a coach recruits well and is patient, he can build a stacked roster at any school......doesn't matter if it is 'elite', 'bcs', or 'non-bcs'. Trying looking at the rosters of the teams instead of focusing on the conference affiliation.

For the most part, JConte has this game setup to rank his version of 'elites' high at the beginning of each season whether they deserve it or not. Notre Dame (his favorite school) certainly wouldn't be ranked in the top 3 of Camp at the beginning of next season without this setup. As it stands now, Central Florida could win 20 titles in a row and I don't see them being preseason #1 at any time during that run. They must rely on good recruiting, good gameplanning, and a very strong SOS to have a shot at a title.

If anyone still wants to whine about it, try getting some guys to man up and fill up your conference. I for one would love to see the type of 'chaos' we'd create if all D1 conferences in Gridiron Dynasty were full of humans.
You  couldn't do this at a BCS conference. People would get fired. The threshhold is lower at the Non BCS
What's your point? Get coaches to take over the teams that open after firings......the teams should be easier to fill in that scenario because they'll have human recruited players. The alternative is to sit at elites, schedule easy OOC, collude for recruits with your buddies, and run away when things aren't going your way.
Did you just accuse me of colluding Vince for no real reason?

I think the Power Conference USA is a great idea. I think it worked, especially for ebel who was there before everyone got there. I think ebel deserved to play for the National Title both years, and I don't begrudge him anything.
I don't believe I mentioned anyone's name in my post. I merely listed an alternative way of coaching in D1. If you feel it was directed at you, then perhaps you should address your concerns with your conscious.
8/13/2010 11:12 AM
If that's how you want to spin it, that's your prerogative.
8/13/2010 11:57 AM
Posted by ebel331 on 8/13/2010 10:56:00 AM (view original):
And I think that team and coach prestige is almost entirely based on past 4 seasons with most recent getting most weight. So you will still find an uphill battle against elites that are already established, but you can close the gap significantly with a few winning seasons. You're not fighting an impossible race against the elites entire history.
Not impossible, but definitely stacked.  Look at any elite team in any conference in any world.  They start off with stable coaches winning more games up front.  If you take a BCS team, you have to overcome that advantage and the elite advantage since you're more than likely taking a rebuild.  To add to that, you have 4-5 seasons to get that team up and rolling winning serious games or you're fired.  If my philsophy is wrong on this, then why does it seem impossible to fille the Big Ten on the PSU/OSU/ND side (in almost any world).  Again, not impossible, nothing is impossible.
8/13/2010 2:00 PM
a BCS can win 10-12 games and only make it to a tier 2 bowl game.  Even if they win that might not be enough to keep the security at very secure.
8/13/2010 2:01 PM
Dupa I don't disagree just sayin I don't think the schools history is cumalitive over long term, more like 4 seasons. But still an uphill battle against elites that are always already established.
8/13/2010 3:47 PM
Part of the problem is the firing standards. There's no reason to have the current system that discourages rebuilds at current empty schools.
8/13/2010 3:53 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 8/13/2010 3:53:00 PM (view original):
Part of the problem is the firing standards. There's no reason to have the current system that discourages rebuilds at current empty schools.

Often times the only thing you acclompish at a rebuild is build it up for the next guy or watch the sim destroy your work.And the reward points suck for a couple of seasons.
8/13/2010 4:10 PM
I think the firing logic is ok.......... I'd rather have it strict than not.

I think the Elites should still have a little bit more strict rules, but other than that I like the way it is set up.
8/13/2010 4:14 PM
Posted by waykbordr on 8/11/2010 4:37:00 PM (view original):
1. Central Florida ebel331 14-1 2.81 1 3 W 29-24 v. #4 Tennessee
2. Alabama bullfrog333 15-0 2.83 3 36 W 38-35 v. #7 Florida
3. Michigan mrhands17 13-2 4.69 5 2 W 31-17 v. #11 Bowling Green
4. USC dublinuf 15-0 5.46 8 63 W 24-17 at #2 Nebraska
5. Tennessee mmacharg 13-2 5.51 2 6 L 24-29 at #1 Central Florida
6. Temple falcons10 14-1 5.64 6 24 W 35-24 v. #12 Florida State
7. Nebraska ddingo 12-3 6.22 4 4 L 17-24 v. #8 USC
8. Florida adti 12-2 8.38 7 17 L 35-38 at #5 Alabama
9. Penn State ebbets55 13-2 10.44 10 19 W 28-21 v. #17 NC State
10. California cougdawg2 13-1 10.85 11 46 W 37-30 v. #18 Texas A&M
11. Bowling Green hallgren 14-1 11.25 9 77 L 17-31 at #3 Michigan
12. Syracuse plague 11-3 14.27 12 11 W 24-17 v. #19 LSU
13. Rutgers ricemt28 11-3 16.39 13 15 W 26-25 v. #22 Tulsa
14. Wisconsin yankinwis 11-3 18.34 16 18 W 35-14 at #26 Idaho
15. BYU waykbordr 12-3 18.5 15 41 L 21-24 at #20 Boise State

I do have to post this,  he did have the #3 SOS
Ah hell, ANYONE could win in that world! With a bunch of schlub coaches like mrhands, dublinuf, ddingo, and plague (what have they ever won???) in the Top 20, you could probably win the NC from Hawaii.

(just in case you can't read sarcasm...)
8/13/2010 4:58 PM
Posted by polabonez on 8/13/2010 4:14:00 PM (view original):
I think the firing logic is ok.......... I'd rather have it strict than not.

I think the Elites should still have a little bit more strict rules, but other than that I like the way it is set up.
Yah strict is good, they just need a little buffer for rebuilds. Right now they basically give you one free season then 2nd season the requirements are in full effect as if you've been there forever. Doesn't mean you can't rebuild now but they should encourage empty schools to fill but way it is now rebuilds are the majority of firings.

I think most everyone agrees elite standards are too light. And elites never have to be rebuilt after spending multiple seasons under simai.
8/13/2010 5:32 PM
Posted by nelsonba25 on 8/12/2010 9:28:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mcbethbr on 8/12/2010 8:23:00 AM (view original):
What's wrong with the Big Ten?  Hasn't mrhands17 been winning alot at Michigan?
Michigan is an elite
Yes they are and they don't play in a full conference.
8/13/2010 6:23 PM
I have never lost a battle with a elite to a Mid major. I will go as far as to say I never even broke a sweat against a Mid Major. The prestige difference between a elite and a Mid Major is too great. If someone with a elite is losing to a mid major, assuming they both have the same distance advantage, and the players favorite school is not the mid major, then it leads me to believe that either the Elite coach is doing something wrong, or there is more to the story than just a mid major beating a elite for a player. When I say more to the story, I don't mean some drama filled story, I just mean something like the Elite did not put forth that much effort into the recruit or the Mid Major threw a lot of cash on the cycle before signings turning the player from red to green, or something along those lines..

8/13/2010 7:00 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...19 Next ▸
Lowly Mid-Major takes over Camp World. Again. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.