HD Firings (take 2) Topic

I am in favor of these changes.

Still think there needs to be some more subjectivity involved. Just can envision cases with punitive EE or inheriting a bad situation. But this is at least a step in the right direction. Fix the Early Enrollee problem with some RS2 Recruiting Reform and very fair.
8/7/2021 9:28 AM
Posted by DeBeque on 8/5/2021 3:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mamxet on 8/2/2021 6:54:00 AM (view original):
one of the best ways to convince folks who have dropped out of a world to come back would be promote across worlds high baseline prestige jobs.

I wonder whether WIS could should create a forum in which Power conference firings or openings generally are reported across worlds? if someone is out of world X but their dream school is suddenly available - might get them back
No. Be careful what you wish for. In GD it is widely viewed as a giant problem that coaches who have been out of the game for some time are coming back and taking teams from qualified coaches who are currently playing the game. It looks like the devs are going to have to address this by making the retained experience value degrade much more rapidly for inactive seasons. There doesn't seem to be much sense to adopt something in HD that is already a known problem in GD.
this is a pretty interesting post. i think it would be great if some HD coaches came back, but with the existing population in d1 already so high, i could see it causing additional frustration for sure. in general, for the games to grow, population increase has to happen so WIS has more resources... so i kinda think in spite of the frustration, it makes sense to be supportive of things that could cause such a problem?

hopefully at some point they come up with mechanisms for dealing with population fluctuations a bit more gracefully.
8/8/2021 11:11 AM
one of the best ways to convince folks who have dropped out of a world to come back would be promote across worlds high baseline prestige jobs.

I wonder whether WIS could should create a forum in which Power conference firings or openings generally are reported across worlds? if someone is out of world X but their dream school is suddenly available - might get them back
No. Be careful what you wish for. In GD it is widely viewed as a giant problem that coaches who have been out of the game for some time are coming back and taking teams from qualified coaches who are currently playing the game. It looks like the devs are going to have to address this by making the retained experience value degrade much more rapidly for inactive seasons. There doesn't seem to be much sense to adopt something in HD that is already a known problem in GD.
Shouldn't the job go to the coach who is most qualified whether he played last season or not?
8/8/2021 1:57 PM
Depends on the definition of "qualified". The issue I see is with "promote across worlds high baseline prestige jobs"

Success in one world shouldnt make one qualified for any world. Because if that WAS true, then the failures should also weigh just as much in every world.

And if both of those WERE true, then it becomes difficult to manage success. Because you could be a perennial 20 game winner in UCONN every season and make the NT lets say, then in another world you are struggling to be .500 also at UCONN.

So do you qualify for a big school or not? One history says yes, another says no. Gets messy very fast
8/8/2021 2:49 PM
Posted by gillispie on 8/8/2021 11:11:00 AM (view original):

this is a pretty interesting post. i think it would be great if some HD coaches came back, but with the existing population in d1 already so high, i could see it causing additional frustration for sure. in general, for the games to grow, population increase has to happen so WIS has more resources... so i kinda think in spite of the frustration, it makes sense to be supportive of things that could cause such a problem?

hopefully at some point they come up with mechanisms for dealing with population fluctuations a bit more gracefully.
I’ve always thought this game would function best with D1 about a little over half-full, around 175 or so human coaches. I suspect it will usually self-regulate if it gets much above that, in most situations, given the current price structure, and incentives. Ideally, I’d think it would sit at ~65 teams in the 6 traditional power conferences, ~50 teams in 7 traditional mid-major conferences, and ~60 teams in the other 14 traditional small conferences. Folks banding together to try to build up a mid major or a small conference can mess with that on an individual world basis of course, but over time across worlds, I think that’s what healthy looks like, probably. And if D1 is healthy, I think that makes the lower divisions play better, too.
8/8/2021 4:28 PM
I didn't read all this. But I'm not much for notifications that "UCLA is now open" so some coach that hasn't sniffed the game in months/years can come back and have a shot when he hasn't been playing at all. That could hurt some situations.

say I were to win a title at D1 Portland in Rupp this season and then just quit. Keeping my resume at its peak. I'm still playing other worlds. Then Big Bad School opens up 20 seasons later in Rupp, and I get it. I keep my big profile, likely keeping my big credits coming in, and I haven't even really been working for it
8/8/2021 10:30 PM
So is the issue that old coaches come back and thusly their success is held against them? Why is that an issue? "In GD it is widely viewed as a giant problem that coaches who have been out of the game for some time are coming back and taking teams from qualified coaches who are currently playing the game" shouldnt they be qualified if they won now or 25 seasons ago? Whats the difference?
8/8/2021 10:38 PM
Because of what I just stated above. You may not see it as an issue. But I guarantee there is a crowd that doesn't like it.

If i win a title this year, and just sit on the shelf and basically forget about the game for 4 real life years, coming back on my own interest is one thing. But the game sending me a notification that basically says "hey man. Easy street here. Come pick up another trophy even tho you haven't played in years. We got A+ Syracuse waiting for you to take them"....... for the coaches that are spending their hard earned money every month or so trying to get those jobs, I could see them not being happy about it.

doesn't really bother me personally. But i could see it bothering a lot of people. I don't think the irritation would come from good coaches coming back and getting good jobs. But I think if the system notifies them to return to the perfect scenario, that's where it may get a lil hairy.

If Coach A dream job opens up after playing 50 seasons to work towards it, and AEJones or LostMyth pop up and got the job, tears would be poured!
8/9/2021 4:53 PM (edited)
I tend to agree with pnedwek on this one. If you've earned an amazing resume, then it shouldn't really matter if it was 20 seasons ago or current. Instead of complaining about it, go get a better resume. Prove that you're better and deserve the job.

With that said, I also wouldn't mind if they put a slight decay on inactive resumes. The D1 game has become more difficult with the increase in D1 population so a current NT appearance should probably weigh a little more than a past one. I don't know that its that big of a deal though.

8/10/2021 4:13 PM (edited)
Bump.

User request to edit original post to include teams subject to firing requirements.
8/20/2021 12:39 PM
Thanks guys. Very helpful!
8/20/2021 7:39 PM
I always assumed that credentials decayed slowly over time out of the game - do we know whether they do now?

Of course, one can always go coach at Hickory for a break....
8/21/2021 12:50 PM
Posted by mamxet on 8/21/2021 12:50:00 PM (view original):
I always assumed that credentials decayed slowly over time out of the game - do we know whether they do now?

Of course, one can always go coach at Hickory for a break....
i believe we know that they do not decay.

in general i don't think a major atrophy is in order, but a modest one seems reasonable, perhaps even ideal. other than a forum thread dealing in hypotheticals, i haven't seen folks returning being a problem. usually folks are just happy to see another coach, even better if its a familiar face. i can't remember anyone complaining about an actual scenario where they lost a job to a retired coach. i'm sure its happened, but i don't think its enough of a problem to merit dev time personally, even though i'd probably consider a moderate (10-20% ?) reduction over time to be an improvement.
9/2/2021 1:07 AM
I just noticed on your list of schools that were just added....
"The Ohio State University". Puke! Let's be fair and treat all schools equally CS! No favoritism!

Signed,
Us Michigan fans!
9/5/2021 10:39 PM
watch out or listing for Michigan will be simply "the school up north"!
9/11/2021 7:22 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...11 Next ▸
HD Firings (take 2) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.