What are you reading? Topic

I'm reading Mike Tyson's autobiography Undisputed Truth (2013, with Larry Sloman). Halfway through now, it's very entertaining. Not sure I get "diversity points" or not for this one, though, since Tyson's a convicted rapist and Trump supporter.
6/18/2020 2:13 PM
6/18/2020 4:52 PM
Reading Cooperstown Casebook by Jay Jaffe. Needs updating because there's practically an entire chapter on Ted Simmons! Nary a word about Harold Baines...:P

6/18/2020 7:21 PM
Posted by laramiebob on 6/18/2020 1:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by coreander on 6/18/2020 12:19:00 PM (view original):
I don't mean to be rude, but now would be a perfect time to read works written by POC authors. I am seeing way too many books written by white men, which, considering what is happening in the world right now, is a little bit problematic. Just my 2 cents #supportblackauthors
And worth WAY less!
You do mean to be offensive and racist!

WHO determines the color of an author before reading a book?
That itself is clear evidence of YOU looking to be offensive! (and offended!)

I didn't even know the gender/sexual identity of Terry Tempest Williams much less her RACE before I read one of her novels.
I had NO FREAKING idea if Pete Dexter (Author of Paris, Trout-- a powerful novel on the effects of racism) was black or white until I met him at a Book Fair.

YOU are a racist wackjob looking to find reasons to blame whiteys for everything!
You do immense HARM to the true cause of eliminating the scourge of racism in our society.
People need to be accepted as people and chosen/rejected on the basis of their WORTH and decency as humans!

I will accept no less from all colors!
Which is why the whole concept of reparations is so extremely damaging to our Country as a whole!

Only troublemakers would ever seriously consider such a program.
Talk about divisive!!
In the maximum!
Well said
6/18/2020 11:03 PM
Posted by coreander on 6/18/2020 1:39:00 PM (view original):
If encouraging diversity is considered being divisive, I would not want to be considered anything else :)
Even better “ well said”
6/19/2020 5:12 PM
Posted by italyprof on 6/17/2020 7:39:00 AM (view original):
Gar Alperovitz argues that democracy is failing because in the end all power systems are based on property systems. Instead of trying to reproduce historical strategies for change like the New Deal, which were possible due to historical circumstances that no longer apply, like strong unions, he argues that we need to favor strategies that put property in the hands of all Americans - worker-owned cooperatives, systems to reward workers with voting shares of stock in companies as well as regular pay, employee representation on boards of directors, consumer cooperatives for electricity, wi-fi, and some other essential services, municipal ownership of some needed enterprises and services, including local banks which along with credit unions are mandated to invest locally, and of land trusts for affordable housing. In some exceptional circumstances, like large banks, fossil fuels and arms, and maybe the big tech firms, nationalization is appropriate, since regulation continues to fail consumers, workers and the public. So a more democratic economy can then lead to a more democratic political system where as in every system the owners of productive economic activities are represented. So long as most Americans remain employees of large businesses we can expect that government will not work for us.

These videos show an example of a project he is involved in - the Evergreen cooperatives in Cleveland, Ohio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_kLye_6VBc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axX4RY265rA

and here is a short one about the Mondragon Cooperative in Spain, with nearly 100,000 worker-owners, operating manufacturing firms, retail outlets, farms, scientific laboratories, and a bank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZoI0C1mPek

I can't find a video in English about it, but here in Italy, we have the Banca Etica - the ethical bank, which is owned by those who have their savings in its accounts - if you put your money in it, you get one vote - it's one person one vote, not one dollar one vote like in shareholder corporate systems. The bank only funds viable for profit projects and businesses - mostly cooperatives, some small family businesses too - and these businesses have to show a viable business model but also meet strict criteria for workers rights, environmental standards, international labor standards (no child labor used by suppliers overseas etc.), fair treatment of their own suppliers etc. to get funding. It's the fastest growing bank in Italy, has been immune to the financial crisis plaguing the larger commercial and investment banks here, which have all needed government handouts to be saved, and has spread to Spain as well. Here is their English language page:

https://www.bancaetica.it/about-us

So democratically run- consumer, public and worker owned enterprises of all kinds might be the next step in civilization and might be the way to sustain and improve democracy. Alperovitz's book is worth the read.
Gar is an interesting man. I am encouraged by the likes of him and Professor Richard Wolff
6/19/2020 5:14 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 6/18/2020 7:21:00 PM (view original):
Reading Cooperstown Casebook by Jay Jaffe. Needs updating because there's practically an entire chapter on Ted Simmons! Nary a word about Harold Baines...:P

hey i read the hell out of this thing i kept it by the toilet

you open it anywhere there is good stuff

its like a bible

[ edit ] but i think about it it was pretty much pro mariners so whats not to love i am a shallow man
6/19/2020 6:00 PM (edited)
Posted by bagchucker on 6/19/2020 6:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Got_Worms on 6/18/2020 7:21:00 PM (view original):

hey i read the hell out of this thing i kept it by the toilet

you open it anywhere there is good stuff

its like a bible

[ edit ] but i think about it it was pretty much pro mariners so whats not to love i am a shallow man
He does have a lot of praise for Edgar, deservedly so. I think he should release an updated version every year after the HOF election. This book was released in 2017 and already feels outdated!
6/20/2020 12:44 PM
Can anybody recommend a good white-people-are-evil book? The recent peaceful protests have got me in the mood for some good self flagellation. And I probably need to be more educated on how evil I am anyway.
6/20/2020 5:13 PM
for those i loved by martin gray

he lived through some sh*t only criminals could survive

read it and weep
6/21/2020 1:59 AM
Posted by boogerlips on 6/20/2020 5:13:00 PM (view original):
Can anybody recommend a good white-people-are-evil book? The recent peaceful protests have got me in the mood for some good self flagellation. And I probably need to be more educated on how evil I am anyway.
There is a River, by Vincent Harding.

Harding was the only person Martin Luther King asked for advice from on drafting the "I Have a Dream" speech. Great writer.

It is a history of the African American experience in the United States from the very beginning to the 1980s when it was written.

Also, Dee Brown, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, a history of the fate of the Plains Indians in the West after the Civil War, also brilliantly written.

And a recent entry, about the border: Greg Grandin, The End of the Myth.

See also The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

And Lakota Woman, by Mary Crow Dog.

6/21/2020 7:33 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Just Let Me Play: the story of Charlie Sifford, the first black golfer to play on the PGA tour

fascinating story of courage trying to break the color barrier in professional golf in the early 60’s.
6/21/2020 10:00 AM
Booger, I know you are just yanking chains. That’s ok. Maybe we need our chains yanked. Then again, there is some truths in your words...that we all can relate to at some level
6/21/2020 10:54 AM (edited)
Posted by italyprof on 6/21/2020 7:33:00 AM (view original):
Posted by boogerlips on 6/20/2020 5:13:00 PM (view original):
There is a River, by Vincent Harding.

Harding was the only person Martin Luther King asked for advice from on drafting the "I Have a Dream" speech. Great writer.

It is a history of the African American experience in the United States from the very beginning to the 1980s when it was written.

Also, Dee Brown, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, a history of the fate of the Plains Indians in the West after the Civil War, also brilliantly written.

And a recent entry, about the border: Greg Grandin, The End of the Myth.

See also The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

And Lakota Woman, by Mary Crow Dog.

I'll tell you right now, the good professor here makes good book recommendations. Last book I read off his suggestion (Beyond a Boundary) has inspired me for nearly a decade. And I've read more than one of the ones listed above, each of them were solid, the two in that list I haven't read are now making it to my future book list.
6/25/2020 9:32 PM
◂ Prev 1...71|72|73|74|75...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.